Preview 2024 AFL Community Series - Carl v Melb Wed 28th Feb 6.40PM @ Ikon Park

Remove this Banner Ad

I liked Harry's involvement in the game, sure he is there firstly as a forward but he plays well when more involved in general play.
Charlie needs to do that as well.
Boydy and George both showed why he is best 22.
Fog and Cunners both are emergencies only. Elijah was unsighted & Crippa was slow.
Kemp intercepted well, Young had a reasonable night but the backline looked disorganised as a group.
Our forwards showed no pressure and Melbourne waltzed out of there at their leisure.
But thankfully nothing was broken, busted or bruised.

The quote of the day from the match day coach.

"I’d be more concerned if it was cold or cool conditions"

What is that?? They have been training all summer and you use that as an excuse for that performance? I hate to tell him but we're playing Brisbane in more stifling conditions.

Quote Hansen in full:-

"I’d be more concerned if it was cold or cool conditions: if anything, a bit more humidity would be better tonight but the heat is welcome for what we’re going to face in the first couple of weeks of the season."

Rewind only 2 games ago when we played them in the final.....Pitto was massive in that game, and took control of the ruck in that crucial final quarter - AND nullified Maxy along the way with the assistance of TDK.
Given that Melbourne carried a ruck sub into the game - which they didn't use - I'd say that's a very extreme comparison to make.

Gawn was playing through serious pain that night.

Given that Melbourne carried a ruck sub into the game - which they didn't use - I'd say that's a very extreme comparison to make.

Pitto did a great job on Gawn in our last two encounters against Melbourne I thought - wasn't just the prelim

I’m legitimately worried for when we lose a game this year. The meltdown will be Chernobyl-esque

Agree.

However, I genuinely get bummed when we lose and after the trauma of being not very good for a long time does wear you down.

Last year’s finish was very cathartic but I spose we need to see us become a good H&A side before some of the demons are vanquished.

Stronger together and all that!!!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't like it when injuries are used as excuses, but he was heavily rumoured 'not to play in the lead-up to that game'.
Yesterday was an example of the real Gawn.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lots of backslapping and excuses around town about last night, I was filthy with that effort if Im honest. One week out v last years GFinalist at their home ground, that performance was very untidy. Of course the result means nothing, but its how you conduct yourself that counts. I wanted to see a sharp, crisp performance. Instead there were fumbles galore and no connection among the players. Very deisspointed indeed. I thought those days were finally behind us. Bris will make a mess of us if we play like that.

Plenty of whining Eeyores about this place over some Mickey Mouse praccy matches. It's a 24 round season of which we have played 0 minutes. Get a grip, people 😂

Huge year ahead and we'll be there when the whips are cracking. Go Blues!
Hahahaga...........spot on actually

But
Bris first up in heat is cruel in a number of regards.....
Am thinking it was midfield in both research games.....voss\hansen will up the engines when they have to👍

It's nice to see the bigfooty turn-around on the debate whether Harry can support TDK with the ruck duties.
Last year it was "no, no, no, we can't risk H in the ruck, he'll get hurt".

It'll do him good to get more involved in general play and increase his confidence.

Another point to add is that H has every ruck in the league covered for speed. He will absolutely torch them around the ground whereas Pitto doesn’t have that string to his bow.

So was Acres I believe...and Doch...so maybe not such an 'extreme comparison' as you suggest.

We're all aware of your opinion of Pitto, and that he should be back playing Auskick alongside Newman - but the fact is that he'll be in our starting 22 when he's fit and firing - so strap yourself in Jim and enjoy the ride.

The amount of sooking in here following a practice game is genuinely mind-boggling.

Can you at least save your pathetic whinging for when premiership points are actually on offer?
well well - I've posted in a similar vein only to have a bushfire thrown at me..........

Lots of backslapping and excuses around town about last night, I was filthy with that effort if Im honest. One week out v last years GFinalist at their home ground, that performance was very untidy. Of course the result means nothing, but its how you conduct yourself that counts. I wanted to see a sharp, crisp performance. Instead there were fumbles galore and no connection among the players. Very deisspointed indeed. I thought those days were finally behind us. Bris will make a mess of us if we play like that.
would you mind pointing me in the direction of the back-slapping? cheers.......

Could literally change the title of this thread to 2023 AFL Community Series - Carl v Sydney and this would be a carbon copy of that thread last year.

I do recall being concerned at the terrible effort we put in last year v Sydney and got almost exactly the same comments (its just one game, boys will tune up when the season hits, switch will be flicked etc). We proceeded to start 3-8 and looked terrible

And I'm struggling to understand the "its only one game where weren''t even trying" comments - its two games we've looked pretty poor in. Not overreacting to the losses but you shouldn't completely dismiss them either as we'll just flick the switch, it doesn't often happen.

Yes if it was a game in isolation who cares but most clubs tend to have one game where they experiment / try new things and suffer a bad loss but then in the second game they fine tune for the season with a much improved performance. We've look poor in both games and its not like we've played a bunch of kids either (2-4 best 22 missing would happen most weeks in season so shouldn't hang our hat just on that).

Distraught? No but definitely concerned a little bit, more so with the prevelance of the same issues we were bemoaning for most of last year. Anyway we'll find out in a week.

Could literally change the title of this thread to 2023 AFL Community Series - Carl v Sydney and this would be a carbon copy of that thread last year.

I do recall being concerned at the terrible effort we put in last year v Sydney and got almost exactly the same comments (its just one game, boys will tune up when the season hits, switch will be flicked etc). We proceeded to start 3-8 and looked terrible

And I'm struggling to understand the "its only one game where weren''t even trying" comments - its two games we've looked pretty poor in. Not overreacting to the losses but you shouldn't completely dismiss them either as we'll just flick the switch, it doesn't often happen.

Yes if it was a game in isolation who cares but most clubs tend to have one game where they experiment / try new things and suffer a bad loss but then in the second game they fine tune for the season with a much improved performance. We've look poor in both games and its not like we've played a bunch of kids either (2-4 best 22 missing would happen most weeks in season so shouldn't hang our hat just on that).

Distraught? No but definitely concerned a little bit, more so with the prevelance of the same issues we were bemoaning for most of last year. Anyway we'll find out in a week.
I think it’s more that we are making a big deal over something that is, ultimately, not worth anything. We won’t know until at least the Richmond game (or even later potentially) whether any change has truly been made.

We could come out flat next week against the lions and get rolled comfortably. Or we could come out and beat them, seemingly out of nowhere. I’m an advocate of waiting a while until we start legitimately having conversations about us being rubbish

To be fair, though, I though we actually started last year ok.

Round 1 vs Richmond wasn't spectacular, but we had our chances to win, and demons from the end of the previous season to overcome in close games. We then beat Geelong (defending premiers and riding Jeremy Cameron's incredible form), GWS away (a win that looks a lot better in hindsight) and North (actually pretty frisky to start last year), to be 3-0-1.

Across that run we were really picking up structural issues rather than motivation, and got absolutely blindsided the following week after travelling to Adelaide on a 5 day break... that really exposed some gaping issues with our setups, shattered our confidence a bit and it took us a long while to recover.

I don't think the preseason was really to blame for last year, though. We started ok... just totally lost the plot when things got tough

Remove this Banner Ad

Back