Preview 2024 AFL Community Series - Carl v Melb Wed 28th Feb 6.40PM @ Ikon Park

Remove this Banner Ad

Practice matches please … those from my generation know too well how meaningless those games were back in the day … let’s have a look at how we go when 4 points are on the line …

Agree with most of this.
There’s been a real focus on adding more layers, or adapting, the game plan over summer to generate quick ball movement off half back and more scores off turnovers.
As observed in the practice matches, progress on these elements isn’t necessarily going to be linear.
I think it shows, however, that while Voss recognises a highly contested style of football is our “one wood”, he knows we need a more flexible approach.
Some players will be able to adapt better than others.
Think Voss added too many layers last preseason and losing Williams late in the preseason hurt

So far this year we have a relatively healthy backline, especially rebounders, and from what I have seen, a more balanced addition of attacking layers

As you stated, our one wood is a brutal contested game, but our counter attack will be better

But it all starts from consistent, high press and pressure, like most teams

Tell you what.

You're welcome to how you see the sport. Telling other people that they're blind is rather rude to be the point of disincentivising others speaking.

How about we hold ourselves to a higher standard than this, hmm?
Higher standards sure.
Start with people being honest with themselves which surely sets a higher standard.
Honest observations of the Melbourne game not assumptions based on biased blind fanaticism would be a good start.
This a forum for honest discussion it has nothing to do with feelings and is completely impersonal. If this disincentives someone from posting they shouldn't be here.
It is not my intention to upset anyone here at BF, just to have an honest opinion and discussion about our side. It's a choice to be offended by what another person says.

Higher standards sure.
Start with people being honest with themselves which surely sets a higher standard.
This comes inbuilt with the assumption that someone is lying to you.

Dispense with the assumption, and you'll go further.
Honest observations of the Melbourne game not assumptions based on biased blind fanaticism would be a good start.
Honest, for you.

s**t's subjective, and from that subjectivity comes the interest in participating in a forum.
This a forum for honest discussion it has nothing to do with feelings and is completely impersonal. If this disincentives someone from posting they shouldn't be here.
This - and particularly the bolded - is not consistent with this:
It is not my intention to upset anyone here at BF, just to have an honest opinion and discussion about our side. It's a choice to be offended by what another person says.
... and being told that posters on this site 'shouldn't be here' from someone with just over 200 posts is a fairly arrogant position to take.

We've posting standards here, GGB. Either adhere to them, or the next iteration of this chat mightn't be so nice.

Last edited:
Agree with most of this.
There’s been a real focus on adding more layers, or adapting, the game plan over summer to generate quick ball movement off half back and more scores off turnovers.
As observed in the practice matches, progress on these elements isn’t necessarily going to be linear.
I think it shows, however, that while Voss recognises a highly contested style of football is our “one wood”, he knows we need a more flexible approach.

Sad fact is that Weitering is a big out and Williams has been a big out ...cant expect Young to be Weitering or Concotta to be Williams....Once these two are back and settled - the rebound game will go up a few notches..

No accident to see Docherty shoved back into defensive lines against Geelong - it was a shambles because Young is absolutely clueless - which makes Cncotta/Kemp/Boyd look worse than they are and makes McGovern and Newman worry more about covering for Young's FUps more than anything else...

Young is a dead weight liability on current display...which means the last two years - Austin's only big error so far- apart from S Durdin who has never been fit to play like McDonald wasn't...a disastrous backup KPD set of choices...

Agree with most of this.
On the evidence thus far there has been no progress. The results of the practice matches do not matter one bit. I was looking for an improved method of transitioning the ball out of defence, greater mid-forward connection and quicker transition from attack to defence. The practice matches didn't indicate things had got better in these three areas.

We have the best one wood (pressure and contest). To take the next step we need to be better in the areas referred to above. Let's see how this plays out.

Sad fact is that Weitering is a big out and Williams has been a big out ...cant expect Young to be Weitering or Concotta to be Williams....Once these two are back and settled - the rebound game will go up a few notches..

No accident to see Docherty shoved back into defensive lines against Geelong - it was a shambles because Young is absolutely clueless - which makes Cncotta/Kemp/Boyd look worse than they are and makes McGovern and Newman worry more about covering for Young's FUps more than anything else...

Young is a dead weight liability on current display...which means the last two years - Austin's only big error so far- apart from S Durdin who has never been fit to play like McDonald wasn't...a disastrous backup KPD set of choices...
Lewis does not inspire confidence. Is this the last year of his contract? Maybe we'll address the need for a better more reliable second KPD in the mid year draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How can you be 205 cm from your own mouth?

Would need to see it with my own eyes to believe it..

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

I thought we looked like us in the second half. If we bring that second half form into the lions game then we’ll be good enough to give it shake up there.
I heard Ash Hansen say the same thing in his presser so your probably right. I just didn't see it, perhaps I should just not watch praccy games in future. If I also heard AH's presser correctly, they were +65 I50s. Thats a concern.

That's their style, lead the i50 averages and differentials last year.

With minimal heat on incoming kicks(practice match), they were always going to dominate the scoreboard
yep - +37 i50s in their semi against the Pies (they lost by 7)

I heard Ash Hansen say the same thing in his presser so your probably right. I just didn't see it, perhaps I should just not watch praccy games in future. If I also heard AH's presser correctly, they were +65 I50s. Thats a concern.
For me, the biggest tell is when Kempy starts clunking the footy at ease. That shows that the pressure up the field is at a high level. I definitely started seeing that in the second half.

Nah, I see exactly the same issues as last year after we’ve recognised it and “gone to work” over the preseason to rectify them.
Ball movement (aka skills, were atrocious last night) and forward fifty entries/connections.

There’s way too many on here that have an inflated position of where we are at.

I cannot trust them at all, we don’t improve significantly on last night next week and we’ll get hammered

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Like I was saying, there's practice matches and all that stuff that goes along with those particular games.
Enjoy the season proper....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back