List Mgmt. Carlton's 2018 Draft Thread (cont. in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long time lurker, first time poster.....just a theory but perhaps with our backline a lil thin and SOS delisting Rowe regardless, maybe Luko will be the one. Can play back fwd wing anywhere....except maybe under a pack with Crippa. Would give great flexibility having McGovern and Luko interchangeable or both fwd or back as needed.
Another thought, with Walsh being highly loved by all his peers that could be of great value in the coming years in regards to poaching guns from other clubs.....come play with your ol buddy goodguy Walshy etc. Could help secure some names in the future.
Personally I am in the camp of trade 1 and get more if we can. Would be very happy with Luko or Walsh or Smith or Rozee and any combo of those hell yes please. Trade future 1st if need be
Hugh Goddard might be the cheaper option

Long time lurker, first time poster.....just a theory but perhaps with our backline a lil thin and SOS delisting Rowe regardless, maybe Luko will be the one. Can play back fwd wing anywhere....except maybe under a pack with Crippa. Would give great flexibility having McGovern and Luko interchangeable or both fwd or back as needed.
Another thought, with Walsh being highly loved by all his peers that could be of great value in the coming years in regards to poaching guns from other clubs.....come play with your ol buddy goodguy Walshy etc. Could help secure some names in the future.
Personally I am in the camp of trade 1 and get more if we can. Would be very happy with Luko or Walsh or Smith or Rozee and any combo of those hell yes please. Trade future 1st if need be
Good to see you come out of the Shadows and into the Dark Navy.

Brodie has certainly been involved on the table last couple years. SOS just reads em out. McCartney will probably read the names for GWS too.

I wonder who has final final say though for us. I wouldn't be the least surprised if Brodie does. Or if SOS does. Or it is a dual minded final say. As long as it is defined and harmonius.

PS : I had you down as within 5 minutes jumping on that tidbit;). 45 mins....you let me down:)
Agresta.

Bont at 10, Kelly at 14 and Cripps at 31.

A trainwreck of a draft prediction. This guy now works at ESPN?

AFL recruiters go it right far more than this guy for that draft. Not even close.

If he says Walsh is not the best then I am now convinced more than ever that he will be the best.

Knightmare is a good read and deserves credit for his efforts but as far as his personal rankings of players goes, I don't rate him. Take them with a grain of salt.

OK, playing list manager for the day:

3 & 6 for 1
Why Suns: They get Walsh. They don't select the flight-risk kids. They don't overpay for some less-talented kid just for safety.
Why Blues: 2 bites of cherry instead of 1.
Ruling: No way, Suns get rolled. Giving up pick 6 to move up 2 spots? Suns giving up too much. 2 & 6 for 1 even more absurd (NOT. GONNA. HAPPEN). Edit: we lack appropriate sweeteners to even up this deal.

3 & 6 for 1 and 2019 first
Suns: Get Walsh, much better compensation for their picks.
Blues: 2019 1st is best guess pick 3. So that's 3 for 3 (cancels out) and 6 for 1 (unfair)
Ruling: No way, Blues getting robbed

2 & 3 for 1 and 2019 first
Suns: Give up a lot, but get a lot including access to Walsh, avoid somewhat unique go-home risk this year and have more draft capital when hopefully they are less of a basket case next year.
Blues: 3 for 3 and 2 for 1. Getting close. Probably worth it if we rate this year's elite talent as super elite. Potentially recruit 2 x SA kids together? Club would like to back itself to rise next year, but that's a BIG risk.
Ruling: Virtually even, but I think we can negotiate a sweetener. This is based on assumption Suns are more motivated to avoid disaster this year than we are to accumulate more talent.

So how do we even things out?

GC's picks next year don't work. GC 1st (pick 1-4) and Bris 1st (4-10) too valuable. GC's next pick is ~50 not valuable enough.
GC's 2018 picks are in the right range; 19, 24, 29..... 29 too little. 19 too much? 24 about right.

ferrisb's final fair(ish) offers^

1 for 3 and 19
1 for 2 and 24
1 and 2019 1st for 2, 3 and 19. This is unnecessary compared to previous ones, but would be something we might introduce if we really wanted to grab two guys this year.

^ Note: I am trying to work out deals that might happen, not deals that have us ream the Suns. I think these favour us mildly, but this is based on the premise that the Suns are trying to pry pick 1 from us, not we are trying to offload it (seller's market). Also if these trades happen, they happen on draft night so the AFL gets their action.

** If I wanted a more Carlton-sided deal, I'd suggest something like 2, 3 and Bris 2019 1st (~7) for pick 1 and 2019 1st. But can't see this happening. I would put up a 4th SOS statue in my back garden if this happened.

Last edited:
OK, playing list manager for the day:

3 & 6 for 1
Why Suns: They get Walsh. They don't select the flight-risk kids. They don't overpay for some less-talented kid just for safety.
Why Blues: 2 bites of cherry instead of 1.
Ruling: No way, Suns get rolled. Giving up pick 6 to move up 2 spots? Suns giving up too much. 2 & 6 for 1 even more absurd (NOT. GONNA. HAPPEN).

3 & 6 for 1 and 2019 first
Suns: Get Walsh, much better compensation for their picks.
Blues: 2019 1st is best guess pick 3. So that's 3 for 3 (cancels out) and 6 for 1 (unfair)
Ruling: No way, Blues getting robbed

2 & 3 for 1 and 2019 first
Suns: Give up a lot, but get a lot including access to Walsh, avoid somewhat unique go-home risk this year and have more draft capital when hopefully they are less of a basket case next year.
Blues: 3 for 3 and 2 for 1. Getting close. Probably worth it if we rate this year's elite talent as super elite. Potentially recruit 2 x SA kids together? Club would like to back itself to rise next year, but that's a BIG risk.
Ruling: Virtually even, but I think we can negotiate a sweetener. This is based on assumption Suns are more motivated to avoid disaster this year than we are to accumulate more talent.

So how do we even things out?

GC's picks next year don't work. GC 1st (pick 1-4) and Bris 1st (4-10) too valuable. GC's next pick is ~50 not valuable enough.
GC's 2018 picks are in the right range; 19, 24, 29..... 29 too little. 19 too much? 24 about right.

ferrisb's final fair(ish) offers^

1 for 3 and 19
1 for 2 and 24
1 and 2019 1st for 2, 3 and 19. This is unnecessary compared to previous ones, but would be something we might introduce if we really wanted to grab two guys this year.

^ Note: I am trying to work out deals that might happen, not deals that have us ream the Suns. I think these favour us mildly, but this is based on the premise that the Suns are trying to pry pick 1 from us, not we are trying to offload it (seller's market). Also if these trades happen, they happen on draft night so the AFL gets their action.

** If I wanted a more Carlton-sided deal, I'd suggest something like 2, 3 and Bris 2019 1st (~7) for pick 1 and 2019 1st. But can't see this happening. I would put up a 4th SOS statue in my back garden if this happened.
1, 2019 1st & Adelaide's 2019 3rd for 2, 3 & Brisbane's 2019 1st.

You can swap 19 in for Brisbane's 2019 1st if the Suns need to lose another 2018 pick due to all their DFA signings.

1, 2019 1st & Adelaide's 2019 3rd for 2, 3 & Brisbane's 2019 1st.

You can swap 19 in for Brisbane's 2019 1st if the Suns need to lose another 2018 pick due to all their DFA signings.

The first one is still too slanted in our favour IMO.

The second one was my final suggestion.

Love seeing all these differing opinions from those that actually get to watch the kids - SG can you elaborate on why you think Walsh has limited development (compared to others)? I though he was the opposite of a Daniel Rich - ie: a skinny kid that has the potential to put on a fair bit of size. He clearly already has the tank, the ability to find and distribute the ball and from my reading has worked on his inside game this year. Why wouldn't he continue to develop in a professional environment?
Ahhhhhh, think it's been covered in plenty of posts previously marleyblue. It's pretty hard to go too far wrong with anyone in the Top 10 this year. Quite happy for the Walsh Fanboy Club to go nuts right up until the point SOS trades Pick 1 for Picks 3 & 6. ;)

Think we'll all enjoy whoever SOS selects for many years to come.

Judging by our Phantom Draft, there were plenty of very useful types still being picked in the 80s so I hope we don't burn those later picks on DFAs with little to no future.

So the AFL has made another rule -

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-11-15/new-rookie-rules-clarke-mumford-free-to-join-club-of-choice

They have the opportunity to sign as Category A rookies in the pre-season supplemental selection period between December 1 and March 15, after next week's drafts are over.

The rules mean any player who previously nominated for the draft or retired, delisted himself or was delisted and spent a year out of the AFL becomes a free agent of sorts.

Any player delisted in a previous year qualifies to sign with any club in the SSP, but teams cannot cut a footballer then re-recruit them via this method in the same year.

However, a player who nominated for and was not selected in the National Draft and committed for a further year as a 19-year-old in a Northern Academy or Next Generation Academy is not eligible for SSP selection.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-11-15/new-rookie-rules-clarke-mumford-free-to-join-club-of-choice

I wonder if we'll look to use this given we've been linked with a few who would be eligible.

Liam Hickmott
Sam Fisher
Jesse Palmer
Mason Blakey
Mitch Grigg

You would think clubs would also be speaking with the likes of Jye Bolton, Podhajski, Pickett, Maguire etc. who have either been listed previously, or overlooked, and are chances to be taken towards the second half of the draft without being guarantees.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Welcome on board Fettt....now, drop the gun, get down on the ground and put your hands on your head :D

So after one of the worst years by any team in living memory, the AFL's big helping hand was we could sign 2 mature age players for free on our main list or trade to other teams' main lists.

And then fast forward a month and ANY team can recruit mature age players carte blanche on their rookie lists?

What the actual F?

So the AFL has made another rule -

I wonder if we'll look to use this given we've been linked with a few who would be eligible.

Liam Hickmott
Sam Fisher
Jesse Palmer
Mason Blakey
Mitch Grigg

You would think clubs would also be speaking with the likes of Jye Bolton, Podhajski, Pickett, Maguire etc. who have either been listed previously, or overlooked, and are chances to be taken towards the second half of the draft without being guarantees.

Makes a mockery of the AFL's 'assistance' package.

So after one of the worst years by any team in living memory, our big concession is we could sign 2 mature age players for free.

And then fast forward a month and ANY team can recruit mature age players carte blanche on their rookie lists?

What the actual F?

We are lucky the AFL didn’t announce this earlier.

If Geelong and Adelaide knew this was an option it would have been a bad outcome for us.

So after one of the worst years by any team in living memory, the AFL's big helping hand was we could sign 2 mature age players for free on our main list or trade to other teams' main lists.

What the actual F?
The afl just wanted to see The Mummy’s white line fever at least one more time

We are lucky the AFL didn’t announce this earlier.

If Geelong and Adelaide knew this was an option it would have been a bad outcome for us.

True.

But if the AFL would have announced this earlier it would have made our assistance literally worth less than nothing (using it would have been a hindrance to other clubs).

Wouldn't be surprised if other clubs knew about this being on the way too. Explains why there was so little traction/benefit from our mature ager trades.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back