List Mgmt. Carlton's 2020 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Really hoping we don’t go to the draft early and take the risk that all teams would. It will be down to pure luck. You only have to look at bolters like Oliver or really highly rated bottom age kids like Macreadie to know it’s a chook raffle especially around where our pick will be.
if we do I think speed and foot skills are almost non negotiable’s. I know nearly every club supporters say the same thing but the more we play the more obvious it becomes for us.

Liam Pickering mentioned on the Oval Office last week that next years draft was going to be a strong one, being a talent manager thought that he would have a good understanding on that through all channels at his disposal...

I can definitely see why...would be happy to pick him up if we get the opportunity. Don’t think we’ll keep our 1st round pick though.
No neither do i, hopefully we can land a top line target or two, knee and all surprised if he got past pick 5 but anything’s possibly this year with the majority of draft selections usually made up from Victoria...

Liam Pickering mentioned on the Oval Office last week that next years draft was going to be a strong one, being a talent manager thought that he would have a good understanding on that through all channels at his disposal...

Twomey has made similar comments in his podcasts about next years draft too.

Might be a good idea to hold onto our futures.

Twomey has made similar comments in his podcasts about next years draft too.

Might be a good idea to hold onto our futures.
Road to the draft? haven’t listened to the last few Eigfel, I’ll have too have a listen... yeah, on keeping first rounds I’ve got no problem with provided we can’t land a top liner that provides us with certain critical abilities that our team are requiring, dangerous attacking players with speed and skill for me if not I’d prefer we don’t go reaching for a player who is good and available but isn’t the right fit and doesn’t provide us with what we really need... There’s many different opinions on what types we need who we should chase and what we should/shouldn’t cough up, mines just one view of many on here, but I’m pretty set on what types we need and who we don’t... we’re going to need to draft in a couple anyway I’d love the recruiting team to bring in some potential xfactor if possible...

Road to the draft? haven’t listened to the last few Eigfel, I’ll have too have a listen... yeah, on keeping first rounds I’ve got no problem with provided we can’t land a top liner that provides us with certain critical abilities that our team are requiring, dangerous attacking players with speed and skill for me if not I’d prefer we don’t go reaching for a player who is good and available but isn’t the right fit and doesn’t provide us with what we really need... There’s many different opinions on what types we need who we should chase and what we should/shouldn’t cough up, mines just one view of many on here, but I’m pretty set on what types we need and who we don’t... we’re going to need to draft in a couple anyway I’d love the recruiting team to bring in some potential xfactor if possible...

Yea, it was either Road to the Draft or AFL Exchange. One of them but it was a few weeks ago I think. It was more a passing comment about next years crop. Not a discussion, but it's enough for you to take note.

Yea, agree with you on draft selections. Always take the best available with your first couple of picks. Don't reach for the sake of needs. Will be interesting to see how this plays out :)

AFL draft central, liked the assessments on all these suggestions...
*E.Hollands 188cm 77kg Murray.. xfactor forward-midfielder...
*E.Ford 188cm 79kg Western.. Dynamic forward-midfielder...
*A.Perkins 186cm 77kg Sand’ham.. Explosive forward-midfielder...
*J.Ginnivan 182cm 79kg Bendigo.. Clever, goal sense forward...

Yea, he looks really good. Hopefully he's in the mix with our first pick.

The more footage that becomes available of the top end players in this draft, the keener I am to see us retain the pick.

The top end of this draft looks very impressive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The more footage that becomes available of the top end players in this draft, the keener I am to see us retain the pick.

A long time since I have seen a package that impressive. Closest thing I have seen to a junior Dom (albeit not a leftie), stuff Papley. Knew he
was held in high regard, but, just wow. As for not reaching our pick as suggested above, the talls available are going to be snapped up early
along with Hollands, Phillips and academy boy Campbell. JUH, McDonald, Thilthorpe, Grainger-Barass, Hollands, Phillips, Campbell, just has to
last a couple more spots.

No way this kid falls to our pick.

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
He looks amazing, until you look at this:

He averages less than 15 possessions as an outside mid/forward, and less than 2 tackles a game.

Now, I'd be the first to say that he's been robbed of his senior year, so he could have come on in spades and put on some weight. He's certainly got acceleration and strength through the hips, he lands like a cat, and is extremely deft by foot. I'd almost say that he'd be a great get if we kept the pick. But there are key discrepancies; if he was doing that 25 times a game, he'd be going at pick 1.

A long time since I have seen a package that impressive. Closest thing I have seen to a junior Dom (albeit not a leftie), stuff Papley. Knew he
was held in high regard, but, just wow. As for not reaching our pick as suggested above, the talls available are going to be snapped up early
along with Hollands, Phillips and academy boy Campbell. JUH, McDonald, Thilthorpe, Grainger-Barass, Hollands, Phillips, Campbell, just has to

You should watch Rankines package...so to speak.
Hollands is the guy. Not really seeing it in Perkins.

I remember Rankine's u18 highlights.

In the midfield he would dance around half a dozen opposition players.

Up forward he could kick a goal from any angle.

It was like watching someone playing a video game with a cheat code :eek:

Hollands is the guy. Not really seeing it in Perkins.
Have watched Rankine thanks. Mercurial with shed loads to learn about the team game. Last year's news, looking forward.
We all know about Hollands, but will be first or second midfield type taken, not for us between 9 and 12 (approximately).

Dynamic forward to complement the big boys and the pressure guys would be ideal. Perkins has burst speed, hits targets,
OK on his left and very clean handling. Hadn't watched too many packages as they are mostly dated and likely we trade our
first. Normally start perusing the full candidates mid season/ after championships, very taken with this kid. You and others
seem to pick your guys early and set about justifying them. How can you not be impressed by that package?

If Williams is gettable gives us rebound, pace and precision. I really like Perryman as a player, and if GWS hold Cameron
and Williams, someone has to shake loose. Have see one poster describe him as a "dour HBF" laughable indeed. Not a
dasher or outstanding kick as I/we would like, but is just that ultra dependable utility who does everything well, but is not
a stand out type. Would not be surprised if he is leading his lauded team mates in their B&F. Midfielder first, but his versatility
leaves him playing wing, hbf, hff. Would be an absolute asset to our list.

Edit. FA Williams would allow us to embrace the draft as well. In our range, a dynamic forward or perhaps a project KP(D)
depending on how BSOS is regarded internally. (Macreadie put in a cameo and disappeared again and Goddard is great back up
but a bit slow at top level)

Last edited:

Brilliant description of a sublimely talented player, just looking for more substance than most drooling over him.

He looks amazing, until you look at this:

He averages less than 15 possessions as an outside mid/forward, and less than 2 tackles a game.

Now, I'd be the first to say that he's been robbed of his senior year, so he could have come on in spades and put on some weight. He's certainly got acceleration and strength through the hips, he lands like a cat, and is extremely deft by foot. I'd almost say that he'd be a great get if we kept the pick. But there are key discrepancies; if he was doing that 25 times a game, he'd be going at pick 1.

I'm not worried about his possession count.

Those stats are of him playing half forward as a 16 year old in the U18 competition.

Half forwards don't have high production and you need to also consider the fact they're playing shortened game time in juniors. Stats can't be directly compared to AFL numbers.

His growth and improvement would be through more time in the midfield. Only then would his numbers grow.

Cripps, Setterfield and Walsh will be our accumulators. Perkins looks like a good fit for us because he's more of an impact player.

The top end of this draft appears be to very strong from what I've researched. Perkins could have as much impact as Stephenson and Rozee in their first years.

To put disposals into perspective of underage players, Elijah Hollands had an average of 17.0 disposals per game and was touted as a potential #1 pick before he did his ACL.

That's precisely why we shouldn't be so quick to offload our pick for the first player who'll come via trade.

We're looking for a smaller, dynamic type. If we end up with a pick between 8-10, we'll still have access to the better small/medium sized types as other clubs go after the talls.

Liddle went on record saying we'd be looking at our options for a small forward, hybrid midfielder and running defender.

The hybrid midfielder is the hardest to find and there could potentially be up to 3 available at our selection (Bruhn, Hollands and Perkins). It's a good draft for us to address our needs.

SOS seemed determined not to part with pick 9 last year when he realised Kemp was potentially available at our selection. If our player is available in the draft, I hope we don't just throw the draft pick away and bring in a 26 year old for the sake of bringing in an older player. Our list is maturing and the need for older players isn't as great as what it was in the past.

I'm not worried about his possession count.

Those stats are of him playing half forward as a 16 year old in the U18 competition.

Half forwards don't have high production and you need to also consider the fact they're playing shortened game time in juniors. Stats can't be directly compared to AFL numbers.

His growth and improvement would be through more time in the midfield. Only then would his numbers grow.
Hmmm...

See, I don't disagree here overly. What bothers me is the low possession count combined with the low tackle numbers. I get that wasn't his game and that the juniors are not the place to look for defensive footy, but I'd want someone with his pace and power averaging 3-5 tackles a game as a mid/forward in this climate.

We need tacklers around the stoppages, especially on the second and third rings.

Cripps, Setterfield and Walsh will be our accumulators. Perkins looks like a good fit for us because he's more of an impact player.

The top end of this draft appears be to very strong from what I've researched. Perkins could have as much impact as Stephenson and Rozee in their first years.

To put disposals into perspective of underage players, Elijah Hollands had an average of 17.0 disposals per game and was touted as a potential #1 pick before he did his ACL.

As I said, I'm definitely interested, and I absolutely do not want us overpaying for anyone via trade to the extent that we're no longer active in the first round. He looks like a great prospect, and that size coupled with that disposal, pace and balance is very appetizing; some of those breakaways from clearances look like early Judd.

I'm cautious on the basis of that grey area that is that vacant senior year; in that year, he could've found the next level, or he could have discovered alcohol and cigarettes, or he could've become such an intense Mormon that - like Rance - he doesn't commit to footy the same way he would've otherwise.

We'll see.

Highlights look very good, he seems to have a nice balanced game of speed smarts and skill...

And the worst bit was, he was doing it as a bottom ager as well.

It's a privilege to watch some of these kids play sometimes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back