News Cats possibly off to Shanghai.

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah I agree. I get the idea though. If they could just get 1 Chinese sponsor too they could potentially make a fair bit of money.
If the AFL we're trying to grow the game os I could see Honk Kong working. I know the HK racing club has an AFL team and they've got people from a lot of different nationalities interested a bit.
+ there's a lot of $ floating around there.
Port got 14 sponsors out of China. I'm not sure how correct the 4.2 mil profit is that someone stated but the 14 sponsors is certain. Not bad.

Are we that short on cash?
Maybe the AFL and governments have says that Stage 5 stand redevelopment will be fully funded if we go to China for the next 5 years?

Haven't we been made to play "home" fixtures in Docklands in recent years to help make up the shortfall in scheduled Etihad games because the tenants sold off their home matches due to the crap agreements in place? I note that the Bulldogs are playing home matches in Townsville and Ballarat this year for example.

Now that the AFL owns the stadium and has re-jigged the deals why aren't these clubs being looked at before us? If the AFL and Port want games in China then talk to the sides that call Etihad home first. Unless there are some really significant financial incentives to do it I don't see why we'd bother.

Go for it if we get our 9 KP games still. I'm unsure if we were meant to have an etihad home game but I'll happily give it up as it's a clear advantage to our opponent.
China is a neutral venue and the AFL won't schedule us as many interstate games imo.
My thoughts are we are actually giving up an interstate game for an overseas match.
Hawthorn hardly travel interstate because they have Tasmania.
Last year they traveled just 3 times that wasn't Tasmania. This year it's still only 5.
We might lose a 'home' melbourne game but will gain an away game in melbourne imo.
We need the money also despite all the government funded stands, we are a team that makes sense to go. GC and GWS need to promote themselves here in Australia 1st and the way I see it is we wouldn't be giving up home ground advantage as we still get 9 KP games and an etihad home game against an etihad opponent is a disadvantage so please AFL, take that off us.

Provided it is an away game, would support it 100%. Lived in China for more than a decade, a great place apart from the pollution. A potential market for our sport.

Provided it is an away game, would support it 100%. Lived in China for more than a decade, a great place apart from the pollution. A potential market for our sport.
You see potential for growth of the game in China?

You see potential for growth of the game in China?
I doubt many Chinese will play it themselves but there is a huge market and interest can be created in almost anything. By playing games there TV rights and sponsorship are all potential benefits.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would suggest there is absolutely no chance it happens... both clubs bosses have been asked about it, because it is fresh in the mind.. both played a straight bat to the question.

If it made us some $$ and mean't we didn't have to play them in Adelaide, I'd be interested in it.

The trip over there clearly didn't effect them this week.

The Suns are still playing Port in Adelaide this year - last round of the season. So just because the Suns sold their home game to play in China doesn't mean they get out of the trip to Adelaide.

If it's a case of we sell a home game to China, don't get 9 games in Geelong and still have to play Port in Adelaide then it becomes an even bigger reason to say no

There's no way the AFL would get their money back on fixing grandstands over their for one game a year. Better off putting that money into the next stage of Eureka Stadium.
Agree, could be spent better elsewhere. A game in an english speaking country would be a better proposition. I reckon the Poms are pretty keen on afl. What about the U.S. too

Agree, could be spent better elsewhere. A game in an english speaking country would be a better proposition. I reckon the Poms are pretty keen on afl. What about the U.S. too
Trouble is most english speaking countries are too far away for it not to be a logistical nightmare... the UK and US are too far away for a H&A game IMO.

perfect opportunity to use Selwood to get us a sponsorship from a duck producer.

Yeah ok, that was lame.
lame duck right?

Im done now..

Go Catters

God I hope we don't. Don't need that piece of filth Kochie gloating over this rubbish and how they "attracted" us to this lame attempt to suck money out of a country who don't give 2 shits about AFL. It's an embarrassment for our game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back