Review Cats rout North by 62 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry if you think he's "way behind" Dempsey then you were watching a very different game to me.

I love Dempsey but he's shown very little at AFL level this year in his chances. Mullin looks like an ok small defender who is excellent in the contest but is a bit lost in transition.

In an emergency situation I would back Mullin to do a job in a final if needed over Dempsey. Obviously neither are in our best 22 but if we need players 25-27 Mullin will come in first.
Fair enough.

We all like it when the Cats win like this, no doubt. But Norf is hardly a threat or a contender, and it was all a bit "flat-track-bully-like" to me.

The next month will be very hard, even with some home games at GMHBA stadium. Scotty was boasting in his presser that the Cats could beat anyone if they were playing well. Maybe if everyone was playing like they were last year, sure, but the stats are still damning, and this team is way off the pace with the top teams. Way off. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the lads can lift to recapture the same form they had last year, but AFL history shows it rarely, if ever, happens.

We all like it when the Cats win like this, no doubt. But Norf is hardly a threat or a contender, and it was all a bit "flat-track-bully-like" to me.

The next month will be very hard, even with some home games at GMHBA stadium. Scotty was boasting in his presser that the Cats could beat anyone if they were playing well. Maybe if everyone was playing like they were last year, sure, but the stats are still damning, and this team is way off the pace with the top teams. Way off. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the lads can lift to recapture the same form they had last year, but AFL history shows it rarely, if ever, happens.
It's quite nuanced and at least some our scratchy year has been a by product of a ridiculous injury list. This has had a flow on effect for lack of player management until very recently and not building cohesion with the vast majority of the core.

Duncan and Dangerfield are just two examples of veterans who are slowly building touch. Atkins and Blicavs went a bit off the boil without their help too. Tuohy has turned things around a bit. We have time to build form on the proviso that we win the winnable games. We simply couldn't do so until we had at least 18/19 of our best 22 together for a big block of games.

Win a few on the trot and who knows.

Miers was excellent and b the numbers his best game.

Id reckon that the forward thinking oppo coaches out there will start put more and more work into him now. SLow him down - slow down our flow.

Not quite a full time tag - but somethings coming. Hope he can deal with it and more importantly the team recognise it and work hard to get him off the hook when it happens.

GO Catters

Respect to the title of the Norf autopsy thread 😂

View attachment 1733713

I did see that and thought it wasn't a bad set up compared to some we have seen this year. I'm sure we started one game with the "A" team including Ceglar and MoC. I would have liked Dempsey to show a bit more, it was as soft an opportunity that you are going to get at AFL level.

Miers was excellent and b the numbers his best game.

Id reckon that the forward thinking oppo coaches out there will start put more and more work into him now. SLow him down - slow down our flow.

Not quite a full time tag - but somethings coming. Hope he can deal with it and more importantly the team recognise it and work hard to get him off the hook when it happens.

GO Catters
I'd call that a win for us still - one fewer opposition player who can adjust to another of our top players.

It brings up an interesting point about career longevity in teams with plenty of contributors. For instance, I reckon Hawkins almost owes 12 months of his career at the end to having Jeremy Cameron running around next to him. Hawk has really excelled when he's not being relied on as the key forward anymore.

Likewise if more kids like Miers can step up as genuine dangerous players, it gives room for other midfielders to get off the chain.

AFLCA votes are in:

6 - Tom Atkins (GEEL)
5 - Gryan Miers (GEEL)
5 - Mitch Duncan (GEEL)
4 - Patrick Dangerfield (GEEL)
4 - Jack Henry (GEEL)
2 - Tyson Stengle (GEEL)
2 - Tom Stewart (GEEL)
1 - Jack Bowes (GEEL)
1 - Oliver Henry (GEEL)

AFLCA votes are in:

6 - Tom Atkins (GEEL)
5 - Gryan Miers (GEEL)
5 - Mitch Duncan (GEEL)
4 - Jack Henry (GEEL)
2 - Tyson Stengle (GEEL)
2 - Tom Stewart (GEEL)
1 - Jack Bowes (GEEL)
1 - Oliver Henry (GEEL)
It's a good sign when the opposing coaches give votes to 9 different players from the same team. It shows we dominated and had an even spread of contributors.

In answer to Sav question, i think he was needed when others were injured, but with SDK back and regaining touch, together with Henry, Stewart and maybe Kolo, he is surplus to requirements. Further, he may be our only tradeable commodity: I doubt if anyone would want Parfitt unless it is a desperate GC or WC.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It seams to be a given here that Mullin has this great pace and maybe he does but I'm yet to see him breaking the lines like Holmes or running down player like Rohan he seams very stagnant to me so far.
Pardon the intrusion - just noticed this post about Mullin’s speed. At one point in the Dogs game, our wingman Baker (probably our second fastest player, just behind Johannisen) grabbed it and looked to jet off down the wing into a dangerous area. Oisin wasn’t even the closest Geelong defender, but from at least five metres behind and off a standing start was able to level with Baker over maybe a 20m distance, causing him to panic and make an error. Whilst he’s still learning how to use his speed, it wouldn’t surprise me if he was the quickest player on an AFL list (Irishman Callum Brown from the Giants is similarly incredibly quick without being 100% on how to use it).

Pardon the intrusion - just noticed this post about Mullin’s speed. At one point in the Dogs game, our wingman Baker (probably our second fastest player, just behind Johannisen) grabbed it and looked to jet off down the wing into a dangerous area. Oisin wasn’t even the closest Geelong defender, but from at least five metres behind and off a standing start was able to level with Baker over maybe a 20m distance, causing him to panic and make an error. Whilst he’s still learning how to use his speed, it wouldn’t surprise me if he was the quickest player on an AFL list (Irishman Callum Brown from the Giants is similarly incredibly quick without being 100% on how to use it).
Rohan is the quickest Geelong player over 20 metres I've seen in more than 60 years.
If Mullin can out-run him he'll be useful.

Not Geelong related, but no-one wants to see stuff like this. Hope he has a speedy recovery.
F0p3OLMaQAAGWb3

AFLCA votes are in:

6 - Tom Atkins (GEEL)
5 - Gryan Miers (GEEL)
5 - Mitch Duncan (GEEL)
4 - Jack Henry (GEEL)
2 - Tyson Stengle (GEEL)
2 - Tom Stewart (GEEL)
1 - Jack Bowes (GEEL)
1 - Oliver Henry (GEEL)
Impressive for 51% game time by Danger. He and Duncan found their groove again and we'll instantly be a better team if the same is true over the next month.

J.Henry has quietly built some nice form too and good to see a couple of our recent recruits on there.

A hard one to read today - as it was always going to be. We got what we needed (win and no injuries and some confidence to forwards)

I said before the game that the only thing we could learn out of the game would be bad (ie. if we lost or struggled) - so I didn’t think we would learn anything. At the end of the game I feel the same. Game over at 1/4 time was good result but it was against a sub standard team so hard to see weather translate against good teams. Soft last 3/4 just a product of game over - so nothing to see there.

On players…

Miers is starting to excite me further up the ground. Not your typical wing (too small) but is an outlet is his style and to get 30+ possessions is very handy given what he does with it. I think that can be a weapon to change it up

I was shocked to the see the stats on Danger - 26 possessions with 51% game time. I didn’t feel he dominated but maybe I underestimated it? What are other peoples thoughts? To me he looked sore all game…and didn’t run at all outside of the contests. But to get those possessions he must have won a high % of the contests he was at. Maybe this is a positive as he can work his way into the end of the season? (FWITW I would have loved him to have had 2 more weeks off to build his tank back up and rest his body - I hope I am proven wrong)

Ollie Henry - my most positive on him I have been. He will always be in and out but I thought he chased harder today and like his competitiveness. I think if a little Rohan keeps rubbing off on him then he will take the baton and improve it. I still don’t think our finals best 22 has both Rohan and Henry in it when Jezza is back. Would be tough for Ollie to be made sub but I think a possibility for team balance

Duncan is coming back to where we need him. Maybe never back to his best but if he keeps building I can see the team improving

I thought Holmes had his best effort game for a while. I hope they persist with him with time in midfield. He will have bad patches but think he can add a good dimension. Tanner also continues to impress me. I think those two in our midfield in 2025/6 might help keep us in the mix

Bowes - I am a fan. I know a very different player but I would take him coming off the half back rather than Bews

Blitz - I am glad they subbed him with 6 minutes to go in the third - but wish they had of given him a complete rest. I reckon we need to find a game where we can…he is so important and looks sore

Close/Stengle - Great for them to get lick of the ice cream - good for confidence but will reserve judgement until we see it repeat over next few weeks.

Hawk is slowing down rapidly. Still think he has one more year in him but he needs some speed around him

Rohan was Rohan - 7 possessions but a menace..important player for ys

I liked the backline with one less tall. I just don’t know what they are going to do. J Henry looks better for us down back (as does SDK and Sav) so I reckon they may have a very tough choice come finals time - as I think it seems obvious having 3 talls plus Stewart and a couple of flankers is the right structure.

Mullin will quickly be better than Bews and over time better than most options in that role. But I suspect he plays mostly VFL for rest of the year as MOC, Bowes, Duncan can provide better options coming out of backline (For now)?

Sub - as a few of us have posted before…I really hope they develop a strategy for sub pre finals tilt. I don’t think Bowes/Dempsey/Simpson type suit that role. Yes they put Ollie in one centre bounce (he looked shocked to be in there - not sure he knows the sets!) but otherwise coming on as sub in a forward pocket when team losing centre bounces/clearances as they did in last qtr doesnt do the player nor team any good I don’t think. We have had two good subs this year - Rohan/O Henry and Tanner/Knevitt (big body mids) weren’t bad either. All others have had little impact. For Dempsey I think he plays mostly VFL for rest of the year unless a specific injury (to HHF) - but another pre season and I will hope year 3 is a break out..same for Knevitt

2E - just needs to take most of the kicking and listen to the crowd (barrels!!)
I would play Knevitt ahead of Dempsey every time. Dempsey simply is not ready. The fact that he started football late shows - he does not run to the right places. Knevitt does and I think he is one of those players that will be better at AFL level than VFL simply because he does not get rewarded for running to the right spots in VFL as often as he should as teammates are not good enough to take advantage.

Last edited:
Not sure where to put this, I may make a thread later on.

Anyway I was interested to see how often players have received coaches votes as yet another way to assess performance/consistency.

For games played I excluded ones with in game injuries that prematurely ended or severely disrupted their match.

Here is the leaderboard for number of times listed in the coaches votes (only multiples included):

1. Tom Stewart (7)
2. Patrick Dangerfield (5)
2. Jeremy Cameron (5)
4. Mark Blicavs (4)
4. Tom Hawkins (4)
4. Tom Atkins (4)
7. Esava Ratugolea (3)
7. Max Holmes (3)
7. Isaac Smith (3)
7. Gryan Miers (3)
11. Mitch Duncan (2)
11. Gary Rohan (2)
11. Mark O'Connor (2)
11. Brad Close (2)

Or expressed as % of full games played this season:

1. Patrick Dangerfield (5/9 = 56%)
2. Tom Stewart (7/14 = 50%)
3. Jeremy Cameron (5/13 = 38%)
4. Mark Blicavs (4/16 = 25%)
4. Tom Hawkins (4/16 = 25%)
4. Tom Atkins (4/16 = 25%)
4. Esava Ratugolea (3/12 = 25%)
8. Max Holmes (3/13 = 23%)
9. Isaac Smith (3/15 = 20%)
9. Mitch Duncan 2/10 = 20%)
9. Gary Rohan (2/10 = 20%)
12. Gryan Miers (3/16 = 19%)
13. Mark O'Connor (2/15 = 13%)
13. Brad Close (2/15 = 13%)

Probably no surprises with Stewart up there. Besides two terrible games, he's been so reliable again.

When he's not puncturing a lung or pulling a hammy, Dangerfield remains remarkably consistent, especially when you consider the games coming back from injury he's naturally a bit rusty. Having him in top form and fit for the pointy end remains vital to our chances.

Cameron started the year on fire but fell away. Holmes and Blicavs had a purple patch during the peak Dangerfield period (round 4-8 winning streak) but have cooled (even if IMO Blicavs has still had some strong non-vote games). Atkins, Miers and Close have come to the fore more recently along with the Rohan cameos.

Going back to Miers, he's probably the surprising one here with not featuring more times. He'd certainly be way up the leaderboard for the B&F. This tally I suppose might be more reflective of where our players will rank come Brownlow night rather than the Carji.

In answer to Sav question, i think he was needed when others were injured, but with SDK back and regaining touch, together with Henry, Stewart and maybe Kolo, he is surplus to requirements. Further, he may be our only tradeable commodity: I doubt if anyone would want Parfitt unless it is a desperate GC or WC.

I've buried my angst over Sav after listening to the big "we need him" wrap from Scott's presser.
Back your players, but he has always seemed a fanboy. There might have been a subliminal message for Port in that, but he'll continue to get games (somehow) and used for a valuable back up is what I got.

I would play Knevitt ahead of Dempsey every time. Dempsey simply is not ready. The fact that he started football late shows - he does not run to the right places. Knevitt does and I think he is one of those players that will be better at AFL level than VFL simply because he does not get rewarded for running to the right spots in VFL as often as he should as teammates are not good enough to take advantage.
Dempsey is already a cut above VFL but it's a big step up to AFL. He just needs to be given more opportunities. Being an emergency is not going to help much. He needs a couple of full AFL games. He has a lot of potential, more than some of those who made it as regulars in the AFL team. He also has x-factor that you can't learn.

Anyway I was interested to see how often players have received coaches votes as yet another way to assess performance/consistency.

For games played I excluded ones with in game injuries that prematurely ended or severely disrupted their match.

Here is the leaderboard for number of times listed in the coaches votes (only multiples included):

1. Tom Stewart (7)
2. Jeremy Cameron (5)
4. Mark Blicavs (4)
4. Tom Hawkins (4)
4. Tom Atkins (4)
7. Esava Ratugolea (3)
7. Max Holmes (3)
7. Isaac Smith (3)
7. Gryan Miers (3)
11. Mitch Duncan (2)
11. Gary Rohan (2)
11. Mark O'Connor (2)
11. Brad Close (2)

Probably no surprises with Stewart up there. Besides two terrible games, he's been so reliable again.

When he's not puncturing a lung or pulling a hammy, Dangerfield remains remarkably consistent, especially when you consider the games coming back from injury he's naturally a bit rusty. Having him in top form and fit for the pointy end remains vital to our chances.

Cameron started the year on fire but fell away. Holmes and Blicavs had a purple patch during the peak Dangerfield period (round 4-8 winning streak) but have cooled (even if IMO Blicavs has still had some strong non-vote games). Atkins, Miers and Close have come to the fore more recently along with the Rohan cameos.

Going back to Miers, he's probably the surprising one here with not featuring more times. He'd certainly be way up the leaderboard for the B&F. This tally I suppose might be more reflective of where our players will rank come Brownlow night rather than the Carji.

It's a hard one to judge for the Club so far, and Blics traditionally does well. Maybe Cameron can also come home strong. Personally would love Gryan to do well, he's a great kid from a lovely family.
From another perspective- Can't even find any overall Brownlow odds for Gryan which means 500/1. With Cameron listed 100/1 and both Stewart and Danger 250/1. Course we know Daicos is the monty, so moot points.

How did Sav go? Not many mentions compared to the thread last game - I assume not bad, but not much stand out good either - ?

I made the following comment at half time, and even though we saw North kick a few more goals in the second half it still seems relevant

The other obvious change from last week (especially the first half) & other than playing 1 tall shorter is that all of J. Henry, SDK & Ratugolea are actually playing on direct opponents and there seems more clarity with how they're going about things

There's the odd passage where you want to yell out, "bloody talk would you" because there's either miscommunication or no communication, but there seems a lot less confusion about whether or not they go with/stick with player X or Y when North is bringing the ball forward

At the end of the match I’d comfortable have J. Henry as our leading defender yesterday (really building some nice form after stringing 7 games together), and there really wasn’t a weak link down back - yes Larkey kicked 2 goals but he had kicked 44 for the season before yesterday. I’d also suggest that North wasn’t able to pressure our mids & defenders for long enough periods to see if there was any potential scars or second thoughts to things after the way Sydney cut us up the week before

Ratugolea was solid enough with the ball coming in, but did look a bit quieter & he didn’t necessarily have the same presence that we saw from him earlier in the season - that again could be down to North not getting the ball forward as much as other opponents, so that can sometimes be harder for defenders to have an impact. One frustration from yesterday though & it was mentioned by someone else during the game-day thread is that Ratugolea does loose his feet, maybe more than any defender other than Bews - if trying to impact a marking contest & he doesn’t kill the ball, he needs to start keeping his feet especially when his opponent does, because against better quality opposition they will make you pay in those situations

When comparing our last 3 weeks & looking at our defensive set-up, we did seem best balanced against both Melbourne & North when we went in with 1 less tall defender than we did against Sydney, and the 3 that played each seemed to have match-up & clarity with their approach - going to be interesting to see the approach the coaches take going forward

I made the following comment at half time, and even though we saw North kick a few more goals in the second half it still seems relevant

At the end of the match I’d comfortable have J. Henry as our leading defender yesterday (really building some nice form after stringing 7 games together), and there really wasn’t a weak link down back - yes Larkey kicked 2 goals but he had kicked 44 for the season before yesterday. I’d also suggest that North wasn’t able to pressure our mids & defenders for long enough periods to see if there was any potential scars or second thoughts to things after the way Sydney cut us up the week before

Ratugolea was solid enough with the ball coming in, but did look a bit quieter & he didn’t necessarily have the same presence that we saw from him earlier in the season - that again could be down to North not getting the ball forward as much as other opponents, so that can sometimes be harder for defenders to have an impact. One frustration from yesterday though & it was mentioned by someone else during the game-day thread is that Ratugolea does loose his feet, maybe more than any defender other than Bews - if trying to impact a marking contest & he doesn’t kill the ball, he needs to start keeping his feet especially when his opponent does, because against better quality opposition they will make you pay in those situations

When comparing our last 3 weeks & looking at our defensive set-up, we did seem best balanced against both Melbourne & North when we went in with 1 less tall defender than we did against Sydney, and the 3 that played each seemed to have match-up & clarity with their approach - going to be interesting to see the approach the coaches take going forward

Yes I was reading your dispatches from the ground, and ears pricked up on what the defenders were up to, gelling/communication wise.
Watched the replay again today, mostly to track Oisin's every move, but noticed Sav fairly strong overhead in timing as well as punch this week, rarely a mark though.
I guess all who wander are not lost- even if strolling around he still looks like it. For such a huge bloke-the bigger they are the harder they fall- very little hope he'll spring back up like a fairy, and he must be doing what is instructed. He has been trying to block and pull the grounded ball in/under more as well. I think Stewart is good around Sav's feet, as he has to be, when he doesn't lose sight of the pill in the chaos.

1. Tom Stewart (7)
2. Jeremy Cameron (5)
4. Mark Blicavs (4)
4. Tom Hawkins (4)
4. Tom Atkins (4)
7. Esava Ratugolea (3)
7. Max Holmes (3)
7. Isaac Smith (3)
7. Gryan Miers (3)
11. Mitch Duncan (2)
11. Gary Rohan (2)
11. Mark O'Connor (2)
11. Brad Close (2)

Sometimes i almost feel like Scott refuses to give votes to Miers just to try and keep him hidden.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back