Unofficial Preview Cats V Hawks - Another Chapter in THE RIVALRY..

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We can handle that if we can stop this bloke:mad: his stats from rd2.
Tom Mitchell – who continued his amazing start to the year with 40 disposals (23 contested), 13 clearances, nine inside-50s and two goals to outshine the Geelong triumvirate.
Stop him and they'll grind to a halt.
This is because their entire stoppage strategy is built wholly and solely around every single player blocking for him and feeding him the ball.
In that game, he had 40 disposals and the next best, O'Meara, had 21.
Geelong had players with 24, 25, 27, 27, 29, 31 and 35, and every single one of them had markedly more efficient disposal than Mitchell.

I’ve never seen Parsen’s take multiple contested marks in the forward line in a game and win one on two contests and break away and kick goals like Gary Ablett senior. Cockatoo has numerous times in a very limited amount of games. He is the only player I have seen at Geelong in thirty years who can do what Ablett did. Im shocked you can’t see that.

I can't see that yet I'm afraid. I see raw talent absolutely. But nowhere near enough output in actual games yet.

Can't wait to be proven wrong.

Bomber used to keep players in the VFL until they earned a game. Scott hands out games to players who haven't earned them.
Fact is, its an important game, season almost on the line, and they are making way too many changes that were unnecessary. If we were top spot and 5 games clear I wouldn't be comfortable with all these changes, let alone while we are sitting 9th.

We finally give a game to a ruckman that did well and earnt his spot via VFL form and we drop him straight away. What message does that send exactly?

I feel the MC or Scott have contributed directly to at least 3 losses this season with terrible match day selections. Hawthorn benefited from it earlier in the year, and by bringing in O'Connor and Parsons looks like they will benefit from it again.
So we've already lost this game? Right I'll see if I can get a refund on my ticket.

Tom Mitchell – who continued his amazing start to the year with 40 disposals (23 contested), 13 clearances, nine inside-50s and two goals to outshine the Geelong triumvirate.
Sounds simple doesn’t it.
Guarantee Scott doesn’t even bother.

Are you saying Hawthorn don't benefit from us bringing in Parsons and O'Connor?

Is there something I missed from their VFL form that others saw?
This is our most important game this season so far. In fact, the winner may well go on to play Tigers in finals.
Although I expect a Hawks win. I am pleased that they have included Parsons for this all-important game. They clearly rate his attributes, and no matter what tantrums we read here about his selection, some of you blokes need to pull your heads in and give these blokes a fair go. Having a dig at young players is not humorous or edifying for anyone and reflects poorly on the instigator. Whether it is Parsons, the Guthries, Murdoch, Stanley, Buzza, Abbott- when these blokes ARE selected the selectors have much more knowledge than we do.

We have all been critical of players after games, and I am no Buzza fan yet, but I would wholeheartedly accept the MC decision if he was selected this week, or any week as the MC has the evidence and day to day knowledge of these players.

Last edited:
Stop him and they'll grind to a halt.
This is because their entire stoppage strategy is built wholly and solely around every single player blocking for him and feeding him the ball.
In that game, he had 40 disposals and the next best, O'Meara, had 21.
Geelong had players with 24, 25, 27, 27, 29, 31 and 35, and every single one of them had markedly more efficient disposal than Mitchell.

Actually, CS made an insightful point yesterday. Limiting him will limit other players in the team, as he gets the ball out to someone. That being said, it appears that most coaches are happy to let him get the ball and clamp down on the receiver to force a turnover.

If you accept that Mitchell will get the ball first in most instances, because he is a singleminded machine, then even if he ends up with 40 and 2 goals, it shouldn't matter, if you've limited O'Meara to 14 possessions and Smith to 12 possessions. It would be significantly worse if Mitchell ended up with 27 possessions and Smith and O'Meara dominated and kicked a few goals between them.

Anyway, the truth is in the outcome. Mitchell has dominated all season, but Hawthorn is not on top. So clearly, other teams who play them, let him dominate, and still win are doing something right.

This is our most important game this season so far. In fact, the winner may well go on to play Tigers in finals.
Although I expect a Hawks win. I am pleased that they have included Parsons for this all-important game. They clearly rate his attributes, and no matter what tantrums we read here about his selection, some of you blokes need to pull your heads in and give these blokes a fair go. Having a dig at young players is not humorous or edifying for anyone and reflects poorly on the instigator. Whether it is Parsons, the Guthries, Murdoch, Stanley, Buzza, Abbott- when these blokes ARE selected the selectors have much more knowledge than we do.
For 3 bloody years I've been listening to Scott with his we don't know what our best side is,and here we are 3 rounds out from another finals series and we're still dithering,I've lost faith in selection,this weeks side was Zuthrie short of me going we're got to be tanking.

Actually, CS made an insightful point yesterday. Limiting him will limit other players in the team, as he gets the ball out to someone. That being said, it appears that most coaches are happy to let him get the ball and clamp down on the receiver to force a turnover.

If you accept that Mitchell will get the ball first in most instances, because he is a singleminded machine, then even if he ends up with 40 and 2 goals, it shouldn't matter, if you've limited O'Meara to 14 possessions and Smith to 12 possessions. It would be significantly worse if Mitchell ended up with 27 possessions and Smith and O'Meara dominated and kicked a few goals between them.

Anyway, the truth is in the outcome. Mitchell has dominated all season, but Hawthorn is not on top. So clearly, other teams who play them, let him dominate, and still win are doing something right.
Mitchell gets anywhere near 40 tomorrow they win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are you saying Hawthorn don't benefit from us bringing in Parsons and O'Connor?

Is there something I missed from their VFL form that others saw?

TBH, I don't think it matters who the bottom 4 picked are - they are there just to man the space, provide the odd stat and maybe, just maybe, kick it to advantage. Watch a replay of last week - our main engine room doesn't even bother who they are, avoiding them as much as possible.

There's a reason Chris Scott wishes we went to 16-a-side - we'd be unstoppable.

For 3 bloody years I've been listening to Scott with his we don't know what our best side is,and here we are 3 rounds out from another finals series and we're still dithering,I've lost faith in selection,this weeks side was Zuthrie short of me going we're got to be tanking.
Don't worry mate, your not on your own here, I can guarantee you that this filters write through out the whole Club, the Trust is slowly changing at the cattery, confusion continually surrounds the MC, can never elaborate on his injured players because he doesn't have the Qualifications, a Master with the late in and out, just to name a few.

Gotta tag and block him. He shits me but by jingo (hate off to Lou) he is having a wonderful year.

Maybe O'Connor will go to him cos that's the only reason to play him i can see.

Mitchell gets anywhere near 40 tomorrow they win.
He gets plenty of cheapies off the back of the square. Obviously it'd be better if he didn't get the ball, but he does and T. Mitchell 40 possies doesn't correlate well with Hawthorn winning.

The important thing to do is make his disposals as ineffective as possible. Do that, (as plenty of teams have), and you don't have to worry. Keep scoot on him to be accountable, and we'll be fine.

He gets plenty of cheapies off the back of the square. Obviously it'd be better if he didn't get the ball, but he does and T. Mitchell 40 possies doesn't correlate well with Hawthorn winning.

The important thing to do is make his disposals as ineffective as possible. Do that, (as plenty of teams have), and you don't have to worry. Keep scoot on him to be accountable, and we'll be fine.

They can still lose with him getting plenty of it, but if he gets less than 25 touches they invariably lose.

If we can't beat this Hawthon team, who are doing an admirable job but are holding onto any semblance of relevance by the skin of their teeth, we don't deserve to make finals.

Feel like we'd both be making up the numbers anyway if I'm honest.

Gotta tag and block him. He shits me but by jingo (hate off to Lou) he is having a wonderful year.

Maybe O'Connor will go to him cos that's the only reason to play him i can see.
Scooter is the obvious one. And be really physical with him.......make him think twice about his next stat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back