Unofficial Preview Changes and discussion v Crows @ Gabba Round 22.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's certainly no gimme especially with Adelaide still having something to play for themselves, however they are a far inferior team away from home then they are in Adelaide (sound familiar?);

We need to take care of business again this week, let other results take care of themselves and not be looking to far ahead at that Pies game the following week, or it'll give the Crows a sneaky chance.

Said in the gameday thread, I reckon Payne's been down since he injured that ankle 6 weeks or so ago. No time like the present to get back to his first half of year form against Tex this week.

Not so sure we will be resting anyone with the pre finals bye coming up, anyone with a niggling injury that would benefit from a week off would be the way to go.

Although if we were to give a player a rest it would be a first year player coming off a 6 day break and the longest road trip in footy. If that were to happen I wouldn't be surprised if they went with Harry Sharp for Jaspa.
Its definitely worth considering resting one of the young guys so they are fully fit for finals. Fletcher, Wilmot or even McKenna (not young but fresh back to the game) might all be better with a break.

I dont see Gunston not playing finals at this point (coaches look locked into the same formation) but really should look at resting the guy who struggled to train half the year

Don't undersell yourself Nunez, you would be in the top percentile of expert Big Footy Brisbane board pundits.... I would have you around par with BRAB s level of footy expertness.

Don't insult BRAB. The man is a level above the best. Some say he is the GOAT. I say he is the greatest of all time and whatever comes after time.

I had a look at the heatmap data trying to get an understanding of why Rayners game was so much better than previous week's playing the weird fourth tall role, and it appears this week he spent a lot more time staying out of the centre square and on both wings.

I noticed during the game that Cam was running quite well and even in the fourth was covering the ground well meanwhile his opponent (I think it was Cox?) Looked gassed. It was an odd sight.

Further to this, he managed 12 marks - all of which weren't contested - which given he is a contested marking player is quite an interesting stat.

If he sticks to playing this Tom Lynch style linking role while our KPF do their roles, they may be able to make the three tall structure work. The important thing of note is they absolutely all must play their roles for it to work. I think I'd still lean towards two talls, but this was a step in the right direction.

I had a look at the heatmap data trying to get an understanding of why Rayners game was so much better than previous week's playing the weird fourth tall role, and it appears this week he spent a lot more time staying out of the centre square and on both wings.

I noticed during the game that Cam was running quite well and even in the fourth was covering the ground well meanwhile his opponent (I think it was Cox?) Looked gassed. It was an odd sight.

Further to this, he managed 12 marks - all of which weren't contested - which given he is a contested marking player is quite an interesting stat.

If he sticks to playing this Tom Lynch style linking role while our KPF do their roles, they may be able to make the three tall structure work. The important thing of note is they absolutely all must play their roles for it to work. I think I'd still lean towards two talls, but this was a step in the right direction.
I want him to play two good games in a row

Don't undersell yourself Nunez, you would be in the top percentile of expert Big Footy Brisbane board pundits.... I would have you around par with BRAB s level of footy expertness.

Brutal comment from Mr Malice

Dev better be starting mid. How often has fagan been wrong the last few years? Playing injured blokes, playing out of form blokes, keeping reserve inform blokes in the reserves, and worse still finally promotes a performing reserves bloke and puts him out of position.

Having blind faith in fagan or anyone at the senior level is fraught with danger. Gosh I couldn’t imagine my work place if my boss went off and did things on their own accord without listening to their staff or worse yet the public. Let’s just say it would be unconstitutional… and extremely dangerous.

Fagan isn’t beyond that accountability. Should be questioned on his actions.

Dev better be starting mid. How often has fagan been wrong the last few years? Playing injured blokes, playing out of form blokes, keeping reserve inform blokes in the reserves, and worse still finally promotes a performing reserves bloke and puts him out of position.

Having blind faith in fagan or anyone at the senior level is fraught with danger. Gosh I couldn’t imagine my work place if my boss went off and did things on their own accord without listening to their staff or worse yet the public. Let’s just say it would be unconstitutional… and extremely dangerous.

Do you expect this post to be taken seriously?

Out of interest was Berry full time wing on Sunday? Easily his best game since he went beast mode in the semi. If he can produce similar to that consistently it solves the Ashcroft issue somewhat but he doesn’t have a track record of consistency..

If Fagan plays finals with Gunston, I’m thinking dev should come in for jasper due to devs finals experience.

Out of interest was Berry full time wing on Sunday? Easily his best game since he went beast mode in the semi. If he can produce similar to that consistently it solves the Ashcroft issue somewhat but he doesn’t have a track record of consistency..

If Fagan plays finals with Gunston, I’m thinking dev should come in for jasper due to devs finals experience.

Seemed to be mostly wing but often the extra at stoppages

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you expect this post to be taken seriously?

Honestly at this stage the main reason I want us to win the flag is not because I’m a diehard lions supporter, but because I want to see the knots the doomposters twist themselves into either backtracking or continuing to be hyper critical of certain players or coaching staff

Honestly at this stage the main reason I want us to win the flag is not because I’m a diehard lions supporter, but because I want to see the knots the doomposters twist themselves into either backtracking or continuing to be hyper critical of certain players or coaching staff

Pass mark for fagan is back to back to back to back

And again…
Tom Hardy Bait GIF

Stop trying to infringe Chris Fagan’s sixth amendment rights SM. He has a right to a fair trial over his non selection of dev.

Stop trying to infringe Chris Fagan’s sixth amendment rights SM. He has a right to a fair trial over his non selection of dev.

I personally have no faith in a coach that has us equal second. Knows nothing.

I personally have no faith in a coach that has us equal second. Knows nothing.
He's had his 7 years.

Why aren't we chasing Dimma ?

Or giving Kenny a good home where he will be genuinely loved.

If we were any good at negotiating we could have the Scott brothers back together in a one/two role.

Many other opportunities, McCrae an old Brizzie boy , Longmire due to cash in his long service leave at the Swans.

Why aren't we chasing these guys ? Pick one as coach and bring on the rest as assistants.

But I don't want Bevo. Or Clarko. Look at the state Fagan and them left Hawthorn in. We don't want a repeat of the Hawthorn years.

He's had his 7 years.

Why aren't we chasing Dimma ?

Or giving Kenny a good home where he will be genuinely loved.

If we were any good at negotiating we could have the Scott brothers back together in a one/two role.

Many other opportunities, McCrae an old Brizzie boy , Longmire due to cash in his long service leave at the Swans.

Why aren't we chasing these guys ? Pick one as coach and bring on the rest as assistants.

But I don't want Bevo. Or Clarko. Look at the state Fagan and them left Hawthorn in. We don't want a repeat of the Hawthorn years.
I know you’re being facetious, but I’d just about give it away if we ever appointed Ross Lyon at the Lions.

After watching the game live on the weekend, some of my views on Gunston have changed. I know he won’t go out of the team based on this weeks performance but the issues with him retaining his place are that to bring Dev or another true mid in, we need to sacrifice a runner. My honest opinion is that either Cal or Cam can play as a pseudo third tall or as a HFF and at worst break even with Gunston’s output. That isn’t to add to the pile on at Gunston just where I see them valued as players right now. Gunston is probably a little bit smarter than both of them on the lead and while we have the ball but both can make up for that either by physical presence, speed etc. At worst I see it as a break even that would allow us to insert an inside mid without taking out run.

What we are missing most is something different from our midfield like Ashcroft was able to bring in this year. In the last centre bounce, Joe conceded the tap, knowing he would likely lose it but placed himself exactly where he thought that Serong would be, knowing that Lachie wouldn’t be close enough to either grab the ball or make the tackle. Berry present something different to both our other full time mids in Dunks and Neale. Dev does as well but in a different way, his speed and intensity could help our mids leaking centre clearances. Around the ground, we are great but it was heart in mouth stuff at every centre bounce IMO and the Dockers were able to get us on a quick reply too often.

Our other option is a straight swap for Dev and Fletch. Dev to go to the wing, Clugg to rotate between HFF and Wing with Cal who played a fair chunk of time on the wing on the weekend. This is if Fletch needs a rest, it is worth remembering that there is a week off before finals so it might not be necessary. Having said that, Fletch could come on for 10+ mins late in a quarter and have an impact. He is IMO first 22 but if he needs a bit of a freshen up, 20ish mins of game time this weekend isn’t going to hurt him but he will still be refreshed.

Our defence stays the same, if McKenna needs a rest and is feeling it, Priz staying in and him going out for Kiddy isn’t a bad thing. It is up to the medical team though and whether they think he needs the break. Some here could be reading more into some of his bad kicks than is actually there.

O comes back in if he is fit, otherwise Fort retains his spot.

What I would like to see:

Ins: O, Dev, Kiddy

Outs: Fort, Prior, Gunston

What is most likely:

Ins: O, Kiddy

Out: Fort, Prior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back