Prediction Changes Cats V Dogs 30.7.22 Can we break a 6,951 days drought

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldn't be dropping Bruce this week but we have to get an improvement out of him in order for him to remain in the side.

All those points regarding his leadership, taking the 2nd defender and the fact our forwards walk taller with him out there on the park are extremely vaild. But he can't game after game get 2-5 touches without hitting the scoreboard.

Teams will switch over the matchups soon enough to Jamarra anyway if Bruce continues to mis-fire. Darcy will continue to bang down the door and Schache wasn't awful against Sydney (although pretty quiet in the VFL after covid).

Darcy due to his sheer size alone won't be copping the third tall for long. How often are opposition teams 3rd tall defenders in that 192-194cm height range who don't play body to body but prefer to float and intercept. Expect Darcy to take several contested marks if he gets that matchup.

No change, reward that 22.

I would play the biggest flood the AFL has seen this week. Outside of the 6 6 6 centre bounce I would have Naughton or Bruce flood back, and our wingers deep.

I would have us play a defensive mindset against geelong, tackle, turn it into a slog and go on the rebound with guys like West, JJ, Garcia. Leave our forward line as open as possible. Only kick short to an opponent, or a contest, no long hope kicks, hold the ball up if need be.

We wont beat geelong in a shootout, especially at that ground, yet we can use the tight ground to turn it into a scrap. Come on down Libba!!!

Exactly. Langdon 5 kicks 3 handballs 1 Mark 1 tackle, Williams 6 kicks 3 handballs 3 marks and 7 tackles. Did a great job and shut down one of their key drivers.

And not sure if there is a stat for Williams tap to JUH for that final goal.

Stewart back in is huge for them. If Caleb’s fit he comes in and Hannan goes to Stewart as a defensive forward. We just can’t let him roam free racking up easy marks. Doubt Bevo will roll that way though.

On paper, particularly if Stanley misses we simply have to own the midfield. We have too much class and toughness to get bullied like they did a few months back. Wouldn't be surprised if they sent Blicavs to the Bont.

Treloar, Daniel, Duryea & Scott all listed as tests for the week.

Imagine we’d only carry one or two of them at most.

No change, reward that 22.

I would play the biggest flood the AFL has seen this week. Outside of the 6 6 6 centre bounce I would have Naughton or Bruce flood back, and our wingers deep.

I would have us play a defensive mindset against geelong, tackle, turn it into a slog and go on the rebound with guys like West, JJ, Garcia. Leave our forward line as open as possible. Only kick short to an opponent, or a contest, no long hope kicks, hold the ball up if need be.

We wont beat geelong in a shootout, especially at that ground, yet we can use the tight ground to turn it into a scrap. Come on down Libba!!!
I'd go the other way. We won't stop Geelong by flooding the backline, so we just have to bring manic pressure on their ball carriers and go all out attack when we cause the turnover. We can win a shoot-out but we can't out-grind them in a defensive slog.

Just my opinion - you can make a case either way I guess.

With those 4 players as tests, we could feasibly have 18 AFL listed players in the VFL. We are now at full strength, no excuses. We have the list to be a real contender so time to show what we are made of. Only missing Parker, Wallis and Crozier who would not be in the AFL side anyway.

I almost want you to beat us. Everything is lining up like it’s 2007 but all that is missing is a loss on the run leading up to the finals. Rather it be you guys than Saints, Suns or Eagles.

Caleb Daniel, Adam Treloar and Taylor Duryea will all face tests ahead of a bumper clash against the Cats on Saturday night at GMHBA Stadium.

Daniel and Duryea have both been recovering from different knee issues and will return to full training this week.

“Caleb and Taylor have recovered really well following their knee injuries,” Head of Sports Medicine, Chris Bell said.

“Both are in the final stages of their rehab and have both worked extremely hard to get back to full capacity.

“Both will come back into full training this week and if they tick our final boxes, both will put their hand up for selection.”

Treloar was subbed off during the final quarter of the victory over Melbourne on Saturday, with his availability to be determined later in the week.

“Adam came from the ground in the fourth quarter with low-level calf tightness,” Bell said.

“We didn’t want to take any risks with Adam, so we substituted him out of the game.”

“We will work through a process with Adam this week to determine his availability.”

Injury list

Caleb Daniel (knee): test
Taylor Duryea (knee): test
Anthony Scott (concussion): test
Adam Treloar (calf): test
Hayden Crozier (ankle): 1-2 weeks
Charlie Parker (hamstring): 2-3 weeks
Mitch Wallis (foot): season

Perhaps a few of us are under-estimating Darcy. Because of his reach he can take marks against any opponents and although he's as skinny as a stick of macaroni, I reckon he's good for a few contested marks deep in the forward line. His kicking is very sound also. He will do a reasonable forward half ruck job too. I know it's a bit of a risk against arguably the best defence in the comp but riskier selections in big games have occured many times before.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stewart back in is huge for them. If Caleb’s fit he comes in and Hannan goes to Stewart as a defensive forward. We just can’t let him roam free racking up easy marks. Doubt Bevo will roll that way though.
If Hannan is to play, which I suspect he will, this should absolutely be his role.

Just give Treloar the week there’s no point risking him, I don’t think we need him on this shithole of a ground anyway.

Doc & Daniel into defence for Hannan & Treloar, best defence we’ve put out all season. Red to Rohan for the battle of the rangas (our one’s not a wankstain tho) Doc to Stengle, Gardner to Cameron, Keath to Hawkins, Buku to peel off and intercept.

Hannan defensive forward on Stewart as you’ve suggested, McNeil probably the unlucky one to go but straight into sub for McComb. Edit: actually maybe Garcia, love him but with Hannan & Garcia in the forward line little bit risky as they can both butcher it whereas McNeil is a fair bit cleaner at this stage - and Garcia would be a better sub who could come on late and have an impact.

Unfortunately someone’s going to be unlucky this weekend rort her way.

Bruce gets another week as this week is pretty much a free hit anyway, but we need either him back somewhere closer to his best or someone else for the 3 game must win run home.

Last edited:
If Hannan is to play, which I suspect he will, this should absolutely be his role.

Just give Treloar the week there’s no point risking him, I don’t think we need him on this shithole of a ground anyway.

Doc & Daniel into defence for Hannan & Treloar, best defence we’ve put out all season. Red to Rohan for the battle of the rangas (our one’s not a wankstain tho) Doc to Stengle, Gardner to Cameron, Keath to Hawkins, Buku to peel off and intercept.

Hannan defensive forward on Stewart as you’ve suggested, McNeil probably the unlucky one to go but straight into sub for McComb. Edit: actually maybe Garcia, love him but with Hannan & Garcia in the forward line little bit risky as they can both butcher it whereas McNeil is a fair bit cleaner at this stage - and Garcia would be a better sub who could come on late and have an impact.

Bruce gets another week as this week is pretty much a free hit anyway, but we need either him back somewhere closer to his best or someone else for the 3 game must win run home.
Can you cut n paste this to the coach please....it's a great read.

Caleb Daniel (knee): test
Taylor Duryea (knee): test
Anthony Scott (concussion): test
Adam Treloar (calf): test
Hayden Crozier (ankle): 1-2 weeks
Charlie Parker (hamstring): 2-3 weeks
Mitch Wallis (foot): season

Doc and Daniel have missed a fair bit of footy recently. They might need a warm up in the vfl. I’d be surprised if we went with both in a hot game like this.

In: Hunter, McLean
Out: Treloar, McNeil, McComb (sub)

Staying conservative with Daniel, Duryea and Treloar. Better to get them fully right for the Freo games and hopefully finals. Particularly for Treloar with it being a cold night outdoors.

In: Hunter, McLean
Out: Treloar, McNeil, McComb (sub)

Staying conservative with Daniel, Duryea and Treloar. Better to get them fully right for the Freo games and hopefully finals. Particularly for Treloar with it being a cold night outdoors.

Get the feeling Hunter is going to be left out in the cold for some time at senior level.

I guess Toby and Daniel come in. Maybe a VFL stint for Doc.

Doc and Daniel have missed a fair bit of footy recently. They might need a warm up in the vfl. I’d be surprised if we went with both in a hot game like this.
There’s no chance they will play VFL. They will come straight back in, imo. We’ll need their smarts in defence.
I doubt Treloar will play. McComb to drop out (bad luck, Robbie) and [someone] to be sub.

Sweet to come in for Bruce?

I'd go the other way. We won't stop Geelong by flooding the backline, so we just have to bring manic pressure on their ball carriers and go all out attack when we cause the turnover. We can win a shoot-out but we can't out-grind them in a defensive slog.

Just my opinion - you can make a case either way I guess.
I agree. We've just kicked 110 points against Melbourne, the most points they have conceded in years. If we back that up with an aggressive, high scoring style against Geelong, we all of a sudden have serious momentum and a bit of fear from the opposition.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back