Unofficial Preview Changes & discussion Round 6 v Cats @ Gabba.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The first set of games - still getting out heads and bodies totally committed.

Hit that last week, and that tap won't be turned off again this season.

Geelong to get a good start because they know it's our weakest moment, but we stay in the moment and turn the tide into a king one that swamps them.

Lions by 28.

The first set of games - still getting out heads and bodies totally committed.

Hit that last week, and that tap won't be turned off again this season.

Geelong to get a good start because they know it's our weakest moment, but we stay in the moment and turn the tide into a king one that swamps them.

Lions by 28.
You mean we're gonna finish a game stronger than we start it.

GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

I noticed in the Geelong North game that Cameron plays high half forward at times and drifts up to centre wing stoppages. In that case if we play Andrews on him I would let one of the half backs take him when he does that and Andrews and stay back and help Payne on Hawkins. Hawkins has dominated Andrews over the years so I would give Payne first crack. If need be we can swing Gardiner back to Cameron.

I noticed in the Geelong North game that Cameron plays high half forward at times and drifts up to centre wing stoppages. In that case if we play Andrews on him I would let one of the half backs take him when he does that and Andrews and stay back and help Payne on Hawkins. Hawkins has dominated Andrews over the years so I would give Payne first crack. If need be we can swing Gardiner back to Cameron.
Marcus Adams was such a great match up for Hawkins :(

Also random thought but Mal Michael would have dominated Hawkins if their careers aligned

What do we do with Oscar?
I thought Oscar had one of his better games against Gawns especially in the first quarter . He got badly beaten in the last quarter but the game was effectively over by then. I wonder if he is carrying some kind of injury because he doesn’t seem to be able to jump

I thought Oscar had one of his better games against Gawns especially in the first quarter . He got badly beaten in the last quarter but the game was effectively over by then. I wonder if he is carrying some kind of injury because he doesn’t seem to be able to jump
Has he ever?

Anyone remember how Payne went on Hawkins last time? I know Payne was not fully fit by then.

He should be a decent match up - big and quick over a sprint.

Harris on Hawkins just doesn't work.

I would give Lester first go at Cameron. Cameron is taller but doesn't take huge marks a lot. He gets on his bike which Lester can do (to a degree) and is good at ground level.

That does leave me slightly unsure what to do with Andrews. I don't think Geelong have a genuine third tall? Unless they keep in Shannon Neale who replaced Hawkins...

Anyone remember how Payne went on Hawkins last time? I know Payne was not fully fit by then.

He should be a decent match up - big and quick over a sprint.

Harris on Hawkins just doesn't work.

I would give Lester first go at Cameron. Cameron is taller but doesn't take huge marks a lot. He gets on his bike which Lester can do (to a degree) and is good at ground level.

That does leave me slightly unsure what to do with Andrews. I don't think Geelong have a genuine third tall? Unless they keep in Shannon Neale who replaced Hawkins...

Ollie Henry - will be faster and more agile than Harris at ground level. Not an ideal matchup anywhere for Harris really, I'd rather he just be assertive and make them mark him.

Ollie Henry - will be faster and more agile than Harris at ground level. Not an ideal matchup anywhere for Harris really, I'd rather he just be assertive and make them mark him.
i had considered him and thought not a tall, but he is basically Fritsch isn't he.

i wonder if Harris can just cruise around on their least threatening forward and intercept? Probably yes if our midfield pressure is really good, but no otherwise.

Maybe it's

Harris on Hawkins - not a match up i love but see how it goes
Lester on Cameron - i think you just have to have someone with a big tank on him, and agile, so it's a no to harris and payne
Payne on Henry - Henry seems to rely on marking so if our mid pressure is okay Payne should have the strength and height advantage

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we smash them out of the middle like our midfield should we won't need to worry about the backline match ups. Run hard and win the ball.
Smash would be a strong term! But on paper it doesn't seem to be their strength

Must admit cats are probably the team i have watched least this year. Dangerfield will be back and fresh. Atkins i rate. Duncan still goes well. Bowes seems unproven still.

Big question for us is - how fit is Neale? Cats will probably tag him. And can we get anything near that out of Rayner again?

Bailey out for 4-6 weeks throws a spanner in the works, even if he hasn't been in the best of form this year (his Melbourne game was a bit of a return to form).

McKenna back.

Bailey out for 4-6 weeks throws a spanner in the works, even if he hasn't been in the best of form this year (his Melbourne game was a bit of a return to form).

McKenna back.
Hopefully McKenna is not simply "back" because Bailey is unavailable. He clearly came back too early for the Freo game because Coleman was out.

Bailey's ankle you would imagine is the same one he hurt late against North. Good effort to play through I guess but you wonder if he'd have missed less games had he not played against Melbourne.

Not convinced by our club's management of its injuries so far this season.

Hmmm not ideal about Zac. Whilst his form hasn’t been great, if both him and Charlie miss this week it takes a lot of speed out of the team.

With Zac and Charlie out, Gardiner in the forward line and the likely replacements likely to be more midfielders, it doesn't leave a lot of "natural" medium/small forwards.

Therefore I could see the appeal of this:
Time for Reville?

McKenna back.

Expecting Charlie’s suspension will be upheld so I feel like it’d be:

Out: Cameron, Bailey

In: McKenna, Tunstill

McKenna goes halfback, Tunstill goes to the wing with Ah Chee going more half forward with Answerth. Tunstill takes Bailey’s CBAs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back