Unofficial Preview Changes & discussion v Dockers in Perth Round 21.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Fagan had the courage

Out: McInerney, Rayner, Zorko and Gunston, Berry,
In: Fort, Robertson, Bailey and Lyons, Cockatoo

Like Fagan, Zorko has gone as far as he can go at the club - havent been able to stand his antics for years and his antics the last few weeks have been pathectic.

No doubt the outs will only come from Lohmann, Lester or Tunstill - unliley that Payne and Coleman will be dropped and given no one else has EVER been dropped by Fagan do we really expect him to start now?

Id also question Lohman. I dont see what he is offering with Charlie, Linc and Bailey in the team. You do not need that many small forwards
The sheer arrogance and stupidty of the match committee is astounding - in what universe was replacing Ascroft with Lomann if it meant pushing Zorko into the middie a rational one - you dont even need to be a coach to recognise the arrogance and stupidy of the decision.

If you are Jarryd Lyons, who is contracted next year, you would not be blamed if you put the cue in the rack, turned up, went through the motions, collected your pay check and not really give a damn.
Beacuase its not like the likes of Berry, Rayner, McInerney dont do this week in week out so why not JL - except he aint a pet, so hed probably get dropped

Beacuase its not like the likes of Berry, Rayner, McInerney dont do this week in week out so why not JL - except he aint a pet, so hed probably get dropped

You might be the most negative poster on the lions forum ATM McIvor. Hope you've got something else in life that gives you joy because it aint footy based on the thoughts you share on here.

B- Starcevich Payne Wilmot
HB- K.Coleman Andrews Mckeena
C- Berry Dunkley Mcluggage
HF- Bailey Daniher Rayner
F- Zorko Hipwood Cameron
FOLL- Omac Lyons Neale
I/C- McCarthy, Robertson, Ah’Chee, Lester
Sub- Lohmann

It is really simple, but Fagan is too invested in his pets.

FB: Starcevich, Payne, Lester
HB: McKenna, Andrews, Coleman
C: McCluggage, Dunkley, Fletcher
HF: Bailey, Daniher, Robertson
F: Cameron, Hipwood, McCarthty
FOL: McInerney, Neale, Lyons
I/C: Wilmot, Prior, Mathieson, Fort
Sub: Zorko

Robertson had 34 disposals, 4 clearances and a goal in the reserves this week. He should never have been out of the Seniors.
Prior had 26 disposals, 3 clearances and also kicked a goal.
Mathieson 25 disposals and six clearances

One thing that you will get from Robertson, Prior and Mathieson is 100% effort, physical commitment and hunger. All three have lots of senior experience and all three have had big moments in games. How on earth do James Tunstill and Kai Lohmann get a game before Dev Robertson in particular, but also Prior and Mathieson. Jackson Prior hasn’t played since the Hawthorn game, which I was at, and I think he deserves another chance. He was in crisis that game, openly rebuking Daniel Rich for the fact that he was not contributing and leaving the work to others. Prior, who is still young deserves another shot. He plays with passion and a bit of mongrel, which we desperately need. We are the most pedestrian looking team when it comes to playing with courage and passion. If Lou Richards was still alive he would dub us “The Vanilla Folders”.

Last edited:
Matho and Lyons were very average.
I didn’t watch the game but Matho’s Stats: 25 disposals (12 kicks / 13 handballs), 3 Tackles and 6 Clearances. Very average?

I'm not watching unless Fagan brings Rich back. He's a loyal servant of the club and deserves to play all remaining rounds as part of his farewell, retirement and thanking the fans. This needs to start in Perth next week, then come to Gabba, then Marvel and finish at Gabba.

Fagan carried Birchall week in week out. Rich is a bigger Lions legend and Fagan needs to do the right thing here.

It is really simple, but Fagan is too invested in his pets.

FB: Starcevich, Payne, Lester
HB: McKenna, Andrews, Coleman
C: McCluggage, Dunkley, Fletcher
HF: Bailey, Daniher, Robertson
F: Cameron, Hipwood, McCarthty
FOL: McInerney, Neale, Lyons
I/C: Wilmot, Prior, Mathieson, Fort
Sub: Zorko

Robertson had 34 disposals, 4 clearances and a goal in the reserves this week. He should never have been out of the Seniors.
Prior had 26 disposals, 3 clearances and also kicked a goal.
Mathieson 25 disposals and six clearances

One thing that you will get from Robertson, Prior and Mathieson is 100% effort, physical commitment and hunger. All three have lots of senior experience and all three have had big moments in games. How on earth do James Tunstill and Kai Lohmann get a game before Dev Robertson in particular, but also Prior and Mathieson. Jackson Prior hasn’t played since the Hawthorn game, which I was at, and I think he deserves another chance. He was in crisis that game, openly rebuking Daniel Rich for the fact that he was not contributing and leaving the work to others. Prior, who is still young deserves another shot. He plays with passion and a bit of mongrel, which we desperately need. We are the most pedestrian looking team when it comes to playing with courage and passion. If Lou Richards was still alive he would dub us “The Vanilla Folders”.

I was also at that Hawthorn game and Prior was so bad he needed to be labeled as never to be picked again. He gave up on almost every single play and I was an advocate for him before that.

I like most of your other picks, especially Dev as I’ve been screaming from the rooftops he was my Ashcroft replacement.

Mathieson would also bring a hard nut to the midfield that Zorko simply isn’t capable of doing for a full game anymore.

I'm not watching unless Fagan brings Rich back. He's a loyal servant of the club and deserves to play all remaining rounds as part of his farewell, retirement and thanking the fans. This needs to start in Perth next week, then come to Gabba, then Marvel and finish at Gabba.

Fagan carried Birchall week in week out. Rich is a bigger Lions legend and Fagan needs to do the right thing here.
I love Rich.. Although teams have way too much speed now and slow players get burnt with the end to end stuff.
Really noticed Zorko struggling now no ZIP left arched his back a few times and could not burn people last night.
Both great kicks and been great for us not sure either can be our best 22 anymore.

I was also at that Hawthorn game and Prior was so bad he needed to be labeled as never to be picked again. He gave up on almost every single play and I was an advocate for him before that.

I like most of your other picks, especially Dev as I’ve been screaming from the rooftops he was my Ashcroft replacement.

Mathieson would also bring a hard nut to the midfield that Zorko simply isn’t capable of doing for a full game anymore.
I agree, Prior had a shocker against Hawthorn, but he very much looked like a player who was in shock. The fact that he was having to cover for Rich, who was refusing to chase and actually running away from contests, impacted on his game. Given the way Fagan dispenses MULLIGANS, I think it would not be unfair to give Prior another shot. His game against Hawthorn was no worse than Rayner or Berry’s against Melbourne and they seem to get picked every week regardless.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Problem is that tough decisions on the selection table have not been made before, so it is very disruptive to drop too many players.

Gunston out - revert to two tall forward line. If Rayner plays poorly next week, then swap him for Gunston if he plays well in the VFL moving forward.

Dev in for Lohman or Zorko. Perhaps some other changes that suits playing in Perth and the opposition (not too many slow players).

Problem is that tough decisions on the selection table have not been made before, so it is very disruptive to drop too many players.

Gunston out - revert to two tall forward line. If Rayner plays poorly next week, then swap him for Gunston if he plays well in the VFL moving forward.

Dev in for Lohman or Zorko. Perhaps some other changes that suits playing in Perth and the opposition (not too many slow players).
Has a player ever told the coach to GAGF ? May be Dev should do that if he gets picked. He will be asked to play some thankless pressure forward role and then get dropped in the first instance. Why bother. I'm surprised he's negotiating a 2 year extension under a coach who is not going to give him any preferred treatment or repeat mulligans like say for Rayner. It'll be a career killer for him if he stays. Pack your bags n run Dev you idiot.

Fagan should instead play Lyons, Zorko, Rich and Gunston. Wealth of experience, go for it.

I’m asking a Nunez a question. If I watched it I would not need to ask - was Mathieson very average given his statistical return? Fairly straight forward. I wasn’t at the Battle of Stalingrad either, but it’s ok to have some ideas or an opinion about it.

The Dockers played a really competitive game yesterday. Their pressure was amazing. If we turn up like we did yesterday we’ll get done by 50.

We need to bring in speed and defensive accountability. Unfortunately most of the players waiting in the wings have one or the other (or neither).

I’d bring in Dev for starters. Ideally for Zorko but let’s be honest, that’s not going to happen so let’s say for Lohmann. We will be murdered if we get even slower so there is no way we can go with Lyons or Matho. They are good depth if a true inside player gets injured (I.e Neale).

Personally I’d either drop Rayner or move him to a deep forward. Can’t see either happening.

Same with Gunston - it’s not his fault but we really can’t persist. Just isn’t happening. No harm in cutting your losses if it’s not working - look at the Dees and Grundy.

Big O needs a spell. Has been absolutely torn to shreds by the top rucks. Fort comes in.

I like Tunstill but he shouldn’t be a sub. He was the best of a strange mix of emergencies - Joyce, Fort, Lyons. What the hell is that Fagan/MC?? I reckon we’re just about the worst team in the league at selecting our sub and using them. Would any of those 4 players give us any impact late in the game? It doesn’t help that we wait until the game is done to make the change either. I get you are also looking at injury coverage, but you can’t cover everyone and I think it’s better going in with someone who can tear it up for a quarter or so.

Tbh at the moment our ideal sub is probably Kiddy Coleman but we don’t have the luxury of playing him as such. He is so damaging for a quarter to a half and then disappears. His endurance is dreadful. Will probably take another 2-3 full preseasons and extra sessions to build a better base.

Having time to reflect, I stand by:

Out: Lohmann, Gunston
In: Bailey, Robertson

Zork to play half forward. Bailey spending time on the ball, wing and forward line, rotating with Berry and Robertson. Rayner to play third tall.

Lohmanns defensive efforts last night were really good. I think he could have had a big game in front of the sticks if the mids didn't let him down.

If Coleman is out, I'd be very tempted to give Brain a debut on half back. He had a better game than Rich at half back in the VFL and couldn't believe how natural he looked in the role despite being a forward. Could be a little risky, but would have good support around him and would love to see what he has to offer at AFL level.

Has a player ever told the coach to GAGF ? May be Dev should do that if he gets picked. He will be asked to play some thankless pressure forward role and then get dropped in the first instance. Why bother. I'm surprised he's negotiating a 2 year extension under a coach who is not going to give him any preferred treatment or repeat mulligans like say for Rayner. It'll be a career killer for him if he stays. Pack your bags n run Dev you idiot.

Fagan should instead play Lyons, Zorko, Rich and Gunston. Wealth of experience, go for it.

Reckon a lot are signing for 2 years cos in 2026 the new CBA comes in and there will be a considerable increase in salary cap. Imagine if he goes well over those 2 years and is negotiating a new contract/deal for 2026 and beyond?

Reckon a lot are signing for 2 years cos in 2026 the new CBA comes in and there will be a considerable increase in salary cap. Imagine if he goes well over those 2 years and is negotiating a new contract/deal for 2026 and beyond?
Beyond 2 years? I'll be surprised if the club offers it and he wants it. We have draftees coming through 2024 n beyond to backfill the midfield spots. Dev would be in the scrapheap if he stays that long with us. He's a Keays MK2, needs to go somewhere else to rejuvenate his career.

Can play as well as he likes in the reserves, but unless he’s getting a consistent senior run it’s hard to imagine him getting much of a bump in salary at that time.

If I was Dev I would for sure be looking for the exits, given how he’s been treated compared to some others (right or wrongly). FWIW I don’t subscribe to it being WCE or bust either for him and I’d assume he feels the same.

I love Rich.. Although teams have way too much speed now and slow players get burnt with the end to end stuff.
Really noticed Zorko struggling now no ZIP left arched his back a few times and could not burn people last night.
Both great kicks and been great for us not sure either can be our best 22 anymore.
Thank you for responding to my passive aggressive post with genuine feedback. I was tongue in cheek asking for Rich since Fagan is going around squeezing all the preferred players into 22 and hoping for a cohesive 22. If he can get Zorko, Gunston, Rayner all into the gameday line-up since its so difficult for him to drop any of them, may be he could find a way to squeeze Rich in as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back