Strategy Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 12 vs. West Coast, OS Sat 03/06, 4:35pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they sacrificed Murphy to free up Moore
didnt work. Larkey was obv told to lead away from Moore, and got on the end of plenty, whilst Moore wasnt in much play in their F50. 6 goals by them in the final quarter was a big fail for that strategic move. Fly blamed their midfield dominance, but we've had plenty of sides beat us at clearance, only to be quelled by Moore and our defence.

What's wrong with swapping the magnets around? You can't expect to go the entire season without having to change things up due to injury or suspension, giving players a chance in a different role is important. EG Hill on the wing.

Well, yes but no. You're not going to go the whole season without having to change things up, sure. But if you don't have to, sometimes why would you? Hill went to a wing once Sidebottom had been injured, not just because we wanted to try things.

I'm just saying why would you try and play Macrae, Mitchell and Adams in the same team if that's 0% chance of happening in the finals. Do Bianco, or Allan if he's ready... Because if Sidebottom had a proper season-ending injury that's what you're going to do.

I didn't say he was going to be dropped, I'm just saying he picked a bad week to get a bath with Frampton getting close.

Doesn't matter which way you look at it, he was well beaten yesterday.

I'm a huge Murphy fan FWIW. I remember posting a couple of years ago that I had faith in him and someone's response was "on what basis?"

didnt work. Larkey was obv told to lead away from Moore, and got on the end of plenty, whilst Moore wasnt in much play in their F50. 6 goals by them in the final quarter was a big fail for that strategic move. Fly blamed their midfield dominance, but we've had plenty of sides beat us at clearance, only to be quelled by Moore and our defence.
Not sure it was meant to work really. It made norf kick it long inside 50, played right into our hands. He was never going to kick their whole score or enough to beat us. Fly mixed it up on purpose in the last in order to ease the load on some players

Super exciting prospect, I hope his form is translatable at the top level.
Yes mate I agree. With better players around him I expect him to lift considerably.
Even Ginni looks shite at VFL level as do most in that team.

Yes mate I agree. With better players around him I expect him to lift considerably.
Even Ginni looks shite at VFL level as do most in that team.
Gini has been down on form compared to last year. I think he’s a bit in his own head, you can tell by how much he looks up at the screen when going for goal.

But yes, some players perform better when surround by quality. Helps when the team is performing as well. Everyone looks good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fly also said some things worked and some didn't...

With Sidebottom out and a game against the bottom placed Eagles to come it does present an opportunity to give a couple of our younger players an opportunity.

While it's not a deal breaker our VFL team hasn't been winning, our most recent loss to the Kangaroos was particularly poor and bad timing leading in to this week.

You would expect WHE will simply take the position of Sidebottom within the 22 leaving one opening but whether the selectors decide to make changes beyond that looks unlikely if we take McRae strictly at his word.

So who could come in?

McInnes - Was injured in the first quarter of last weeks VFL game and while we wait to learn how serious it is, it will most likely rule him out of contention. If he's declared fit and we intend on using a combination of half forwards to fill in for Sidebottom he could yet be considered for more forward line depth.

Bianco - Had more disposals than any other Magpie against the Kangaroos so continues to work hard but I question where he fits in win the McRae game plan at AFL level with his lack of leg speed or obvious weapon to differentiate him from his peers. Is a solid well rounded player but what is the elite trait in his game that can see him overcome his weaknesses and transition to senior level regularly?

Macrae - Lower numbers than we've come to expect from him last week but has been developing well over the last 12 months and is one of our most consistent midfield performers. Like Bianco is one paced and a little vanilla but has a defined role within the team as that midfield extractor. His brother gives us hope he still has improvement left in him. If all of De Goey, Mitchell and Adams are named to play against the Eagles he'll likely be overlooked again.

Carmichael - Production wise a quieter game this week but still provided 10 tackles, 6 clearances and 3 scoring shots within his 15 touches. He's still rough around the edges and his kicking in tight needs to get cleaner but he's a thumping kick when given space, strong in the contest and can provide run on the outside. He has plenty to work with. Despite his starring performance against GWS reserves surprisingly wasn't named as an emergency last week so he mightn't be as close to senior selection as some hope. Is his scrappy kicking out of congestion holding him back in the eyes of the coach?

Harrison - His time at Collingwood so far has regularly been interrupted by hamstring injuries but against GWS he played his best game to date and provided a glimpse of why there was a lot of positivity surrounding him during his 21/22 preseason. Didn't find a lot of ball against the Kangaroos but had a nice moment late if I recall correctly where he ran down the opposition, caused a turnover and subsequent goal. It was only a taste but he clearly has traits that McRae wants in his small forwards and it's why (to the surprise of many fans) he's been elevated arguably ahead of time into the squad of 26. If Elliott is sore and could benefit from a rest then who knows he could be the one to replace him.

Allan - I was initially worried Allan was more athlete than footballer when drafted but given his pedigree that was probably always a non issue. His early season form was still a welcomed surprise however, he looked more advanced than I was expecting, he was clean and displayed composure, his kicks could be delivered with real penetration and we saw moments of his vaunted speed. Then he got COVID. Thankfully he showed signs against the Kangaroos he might be coming out the other side of his bout of illness and his 22 disposals was close to double what he produced against GWS. The other thing that stands out with Allan is just his size and you have to keep reminding yourself he's not filling a KP role within our team. It can't be ignored that we'll be playing in Perth this weekend, at this stage it's forecast to be dry which suits a young body with outside running power (more than a contested slog in the wet) and up against a depleted Eagles team he'll probably never get a better opportunity to debut at home in front of family.

No interest in Draper?

Yeah. I'm not a big fan of the free up Darcy theory. Play him on their guns who they want to play through, so he's involved more often, or if the try to avoid him, they end up playing through a lesser player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back