Preview Changes & Preview - Yartapuulti vs Hawks Round 10 Sunday May 19th @ Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
FB: 27] Esava Ratugolea, [25] Brandon Zerk-Thatcher, [6] Kane Farrell
HB: 5] Dan Houston, [8] Aliir Aliir, [3] Ryan Burton
C: [14] Miles Bergman, [16] Ollie Wines, [36] Will Lorenz
HF: [1] Connor Rozzee, [4] Todd Marshall-Jones, [33] Darcy Byrne-Jones
FF: [19] Mitch Georgiades, [22] Charlie Dixon, [15] Willie Rioli
FOL: [38] Dante Visentini, [9] Zak Butters, [18] Jason Horne-Francis

INT: [8] Josh Sinn, [44] Jackson Mead, [28] Willem Drew, [11] Jeremy Finlayson
SUB: [10] Travis Boak

OUT: McEntee, Evans
IN: Rozzee, Lorenz
I don’t mind that team, but I don’t think they will give Lorenz a game
Just yet.

So one of McEntee and Evans would stay in.

One of the bizarre things is Sweet having a random fan base on this board.

Visentini played a better game than any of Sweet's AFL career.

Apart from hit outs, statistically was down in all categories on Sweets last game vs the Crows.

In terms of general play and mobility/dexterity around the ground Sweet is ahead of Dante.

Sure it's good seeing Dante battling away and getting an opportunity, but will get towelled up against more damaging and physical rucks at this stage. I would play them both next week to see if they have any synergy.

Burgoyne for Evans
Rozee for Dixon his body is still shot if not him Mcentee

There is no defensive role for Mcentee this week

Jed had a good game. No point arguing anything else, he ain't getting dropped after that and he shouldn't. However that doesn't justify all his other unworthy selections.

What we saw on the weekend is the standard performance we should expect from him if he is to hold his spot. The fact that it was seen as such an awesome performance is the problem. His bar is so good damn low. There was a hard ball he won on the wing at one stage that was quite simply the best thing I've seen him do. He had a hand in a couple goal assists and his negative play on Stewart was certainly working when we were absolutely dominating early. All of those bits sound good, but they're just moments and ultimately over the course of many games and multiple years now, we haven't seen much of this at all.

So we're 36-0 since moving to Adelaide Oval in day/twilight games Vs bottom 10 interstate sides.

If there was ever a result that should be a lock, this is it.

Percentage is realistically what we need to be aiming for here. A really good win this weekend needs to be consolidated with the next 2 weeks against 2 bottom 4 teams in a row.

Put away a couple 10+ goal wins and it puts us in a good position for the end of season top 4 battle. Ignoring the reality that we still have a lot to prove against the top sides.

If SPP played the exact game that McEntee did everyone would be shouting from the rooftops about how great he was.
If SPP played the exact same game McEntee did it would be the lowest disposal tally he's had in a full game since 2017. When he was a teenager. In a game we lost by 90 points.

It’s more the over the top celebrations by the Jedheads when Jed does the basics
That's because by his standards, a game where Jed does the basics to a reasonable level is roughly as rare as a 35 disposal and a goal game from a Butters or Rozee.

I will give him credit for contributing a little bit rather than his usual nothing, but that's all it was. Putting in the same sentence as Rioli and Wines' games is an insult to Rioli and Wines.

What we saw on the weekend is the standard performance we should expect from him if he is to hold his spot. The fact that it was seen as such an awesome performance is the problem. His bar is so good damn low. There was a hard ball he won on the wing at one stage that was quite simply the best thing I've seen him do. He had a hand in a couple goal assists and his negative play on Stewart was certainly working when we were absolutely dominating early. All of those bits sound good, but they're just moments and ultimately over the course of many games and multiple years now, we haven't seen much of this at all.
Agree with the rest of your post but not this bit. If that was his 'standard performance' he still shouldn't keep his spot.

If he had completely shut Stewart out of the game, then sure, but he didn't, Stewart was down on his usual influence but not by much and still had a couple of crucial one-on-one wins on McEntee that cost us goals. If he'd reduced Stewart's influence but popped up with something reasonable like 10 disposals and a goal himself like DBJ does, then sure, but he was his usual useless standard on the offensive end.

Happy for him to stay in if he's putting in either elite defensive performances or decent offensive and defensive performances. The game against Stewart was neither elite defensively nor decent offensively.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If SPP played the exact same game McEntee did it would be the lowest disposal tally he's had in a full game since 2017. When he was a teenager. In a game we lost by 90 points.

That's because by his standards, a game where Jed does the basics to a reasonable level is roughly as rare as a 35 disposal and a goal game from a Butters or Rozee.

I will give him credit for contributing a little bit rather than his usual nothing, but that's all it was. Putting in the same sentence as Rioli and Wines' games is an insult to Rioli and Wines.

Agree with the rest of your post but not this bit. If that was his 'standard performance' he still shouldn't keep his spot.

If he had completely shut Stewart out of the game, then sure, but he didn't, Stewart was down on his usual influence but not by much and still had a couple of crucial one-on-one wins on McEntee that cost us goals. If he'd reduced Stewart's influence but popped up with something reasonable like 10 disposals and a goal himself like DBJ does, then sure, but he was his usual useless standard on the offensive end.

Happy for him to stay in if he's having either elite defensive performances or decent offensive and defensive performances. The game against Stewart was neither elite defensively nor decent offensively.
We are being trolled but I don’t think it’s 100% trolling. You can sometimes see the effort that goes into his defence

Apart from hit outs, statistically was down in all categories on Sweets last game vs the Crows.

In terms of general play and mobility/dexterity around the ground Sweet is ahead of Dante.

Sure it's good seeing Dante battling away and getting an opportunity, but will get towelled up against more damaging and physical rucks at this stage. I would play them both next week to see if they have any synergy.

Will not play both.

Dante isn't getting towelled up by anybody.

Didn't notice Sweet in a game we should have bolted in.
Saw plenty of Dante in a game we couldn't win.

Dante adds more to our midfield than Sweet does. Dante just looks like he belongs in the middle with that other psycho Butters and Jase.

Had Dante been doing the ruck work inside 50 as well we still would have won by 5 goals.

We are being trolled but I don’t think it’s 100% trolling. You can sometimes see the effort that goes into his defence
'You can sometimes see the effort that goes into his defence' is not a sentence that justifies somebody playing 39 games and counting for an AFL club that has been a finals contender for most of that time.

He's not elite defensively, which means he's not good enough at defense to make up for how historically bad he is on offence.

'You can sometimes see the effort that goes into his defence' is not a sentence that justifies somebody playing 39 games and counting for an AFL club that has been a finals contender for most of that time.

He's not elite defensively, which means he's not good enough at defense to make up for how historically bad he is on offence.
He’s a sanfl player who’s lucked out because Hinkley is our coach. No other AFL coach would pick him.

I’ve changed my view of some players (in both directions) over time but I’ve seen enough of Jed to know he’s not up to it.

Our rookie with the 55 letter last name is already 5x better then the cheese

It's not trolling.

I'll tell you why I defend Jed.

For one, he seems like a nice young man who is doing his best and playing a selfless role that the coaches are asking him to as a player with relatively less talent and as probably a significantly lower paid member of the squad than almost all other first team regulars.

But more importantly, imagining myself running out there, Jed is the type of teammate I'd want. Selfless, plays his role, puts his head over the ball and never shirks the contest. I know what I'm going to get from him and I know I can rely on him, albeit with skill limitation. Plenty of others I'd be wondering what version of them I'm getting today, whether they're going to be fair dinkum or if they'll just phone it in today. And that's why I'll always defend a guy like Jed. Effort and mindset is absolutely number one.

My opinion on this has always been the same a quality tap ruckman is always better than the mobile ruckman/midfielder hybrid.

The reason is a dominate tap ruckman can create goals in the forward line and if you can get 20 goals per year from forward stoppages and throw ins by taps to advantage that is a huge advantage.

That is why I was pro Hayes.

I would say if you have a ruck/mid hybrid that can score 20 goals per season I'd take him.

It's not trolling.

I'll tell you why I defend Jed.

For one, he seems like a nice young man who is doing his best and playing a selfless role that the coaches are asking him to as a player with relatively less talent and as probably a significantly lower paid member of the squad than almost all other first team regulars.

But more importantly, imagining myself running out there, Jed is the type of teammate I'd want. Selfless, plays his role, puts his head over the ball and never shirks the contest. I know what I'm going to get from him and I know I can rely on him, albeit with skill limitation. Plenty of others I'd be wondering what version of them I'm getting today, whether they're going to be fair dinkum or if they'll just phone it in today. And that's why I'll always defend a guy like Jed. Effort and mindset is absolutely number one.

Noone has ever argued that he's not a nice young man, but if that's criteria for defending his selection then you've been hoodwinked by this regime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back