Preview Changes & Preview Thread for Round 14, 2023 vs Geelong at Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh yeah
IN : Burton, Fanta Pants, Bonner
OUT: Jones, Sinn

SUB: Fanta Pants
No way Hose: one Swallow does not make a summer. Fanta needs a lot more SANFL games, I would prefer to wait till August for him,
In: Burton
Let Sinbad sail in as the SuB

lol i like how we selected Teakle from ******* nowhere straight after we drafted him, also from ******* nowhere.

But Narkle after actually doing things has to wait.

Sinn is clearly not fit enough ATM for top level football, so I’m bemused he keeps his spot over Narkle who looks to be in the best shape of his career.

Yeah the baby oil gets me every time🤣What is with that?

Hawkins arriving at the ground

Changes from the last time we played Geelong:

Geelong

Out: Selwood
In: Stewart

Port

Out: Gray, Clurey, Jonas, Georgiades, Amon, Bonner
In: Rioli, Horne-Francis, Lycett, McKenzie, Sinn, Williams

As a collective, our ins are stronger than our outs, whereas Geelong is probably break even in terms of their strength. That’s not factoring in the natural improvement in guys like Rozee and Butters.

But make no mistake, Geelong is a potent side. However, if we just focus on improving every week, then an improvement in the performance against the Dogs will see us win. Good sides play to beat the opposition. Great sides play to beat their best.
A lot will depend on how fit those newly returning Cats are.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

By his own admission, rookie-ing him was the best thing for him. He knew this was his last-chance saloon, so he went away and did some extra work in the pre-season, and has really knuckled down to the task of improving himself. The best thing for his career is to stay at Port, and to keep doing what he is doing.
If he goes to a lower ranked team his pace will be found out badly.

He needs the pressure up the ground for his game to work.

Sinn is clearly not fit enough ATM for top level football, so I’m bemused he keeps his spot over Narkle who looks to be in the best shape of his career.
We are clearly picking Sinn with an eye to finals.

We think he can be a difference maker and know that he needs to play to get experience while his fitness builds.

He is not far off (if at all) where I would expect his replacement to be anyway.

By his own admission, rookie-ing him was the best thing for him. He knew this was his last-chance saloon, so he went away and did some extra work in the pre-season, and has really knuckled down to the task of improving himself. The best thing for his career is to stay at Port, and to keep doing what he is doing.
I agree, however he still was delisted, not sure he owes us too much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Question for those in Western Stand. Is it usually worth paying to reserve a seat there? Level 2 have some available but not sure whether to bother when there may be good seats available for free.

It's good to see another team getting sucked in by his smooth moving at VFL level.

The problem is he's an inside mid or nothing. He doesn't have forward craft and if you play him on the outside his lack of gut running ability will see him blown up. He's an inside mid who doesn't defend well. He's good enough to look brilliant as a one way inside mid at the level below but it doesn't transfer well to AFL.

This should be a cracking game. Sort of the opposite of last year when you had everything to play for and we were sitting pretty up the pointy end.

I'd expect Geelong to come out breathing fire and we'll be much closer to full strength. If we get you a touch off your best we're a chance. But if we can't get the win with so much at stake it doesn't bode well for our season. In contrast it'll be a good test for Port to see how well their game stands up to finals like heat. Stand up to the pressure and that's a big tick.
For what it's worth, I disagree with this. While it accurately describes what we saw of him at Geelong, I actually think he's got loads more potential than that and, if he applies himself, you could have a really good player on your hands. He showed flashes at the Cats but there was a sense that he wasn't fully committed to being his best. If he puts in the work and drives for excellence, I think he could be a really good player. He's even said as much himself in a recent interview, apparently. I'm glad he left Geelong in the end because something wasn't working. But I wish him well with you at Port.

lol i like how we selected Teakle from ******* nowhere straight after we drafted him, also from ******* nowhere.

But Narkle after actually doing things has to wait.
The difference is that selecting Narkle in no way assists Ken in carrying out his weird malicious feud against Sam Hayes.

Maybe if Lycett gets injured again we'll pick Narkle in the ruck.

Changes from the last time we played Geelong:

Geelong

Out: Selwood
In: Stewart

Port

Out: Gray, Clurey, Jonas, Georgiades, Amon, Bonner
In: Rioli, Horne-Francis, Lycett, McKenzie, Sinn, Williams

As a collective, our ins are stronger than our outs, whereas Geelong is probably break even in terms of their strength. That’s not factoring in the natural improvement in guys like Rozee and Butters.

But make no mistake, Geelong is a potent side. However, if we just focus on improving every week, then an improvement in the performance against the Dogs will see us win. Good sides play to beat the opposition. Great sides play to beat their best.
The thing is that if you look at Duckwood vs Stewart, you give the edge to Stewart. He's elite.

But what Duckwood did was fly the flag every single time and raise the efforts of all those around him. He made every Geelong player that took Adelaide Oval that little bit better. Its what JHF and Butters are doing this year for us.

Question for those in Western Stand. Is it usually worth paying to reserve a seat there? Level 2 have some available but not sure whether to bother when there may be good seats available for free.
The top level has plenty of seats available

The investment in Sinn is justified. He has the power and pace to be a line breaking outside player and (one day) an explosive inside player. We invested a lot into him on draft day because of these traits and what he needs is to learn the pace of AFL footy- that doesn’t happen in the SANFL.

There is no point hedging your bets with Sinn at this point by sending him back to the 2s. An extended run in the 1s at best results in our team having another dimension to take into September. At worst the kid gets dropped after a half a dozen games or so and has an excellent understanding of what he needs to add to his game to have a breakout in the next year or so.

I get people questioning the investment in McEntee. But Sinn is a different kettle of fish and those questioning the investment in Josh, simply aren’t seeing his potential. I see that as somewhere between Rozee, JHF and Butters on the one hand and Bergman and Duursma on the other hand.

Listen to the afl podcast today comparing the potential of Rozee Butters JHF to the great midfields of the last 23 years- our Black, Akermanis, Voss. Bergman can be our Lappin and Sinn…he could just take this to another level.

So I’m very happy to have Josh in the 1s at some short term cost to he team if that is the best thing for his development. This is not about building a team- it’s about starting a dynasty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back