Preview Changes & Preview Thread for Round 18, 2023 vs Carlton at Marvel

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly don't think anyone is taking this, or any of the remaining minor round games lightly.

It's just some can see the rationale for resting and dropping players and trying others in the lead up to finals and some can't.

And to put it simply, it's because the focus has to be on making the big dance and not just getting a home prelim.
How many teams win after 7 changes?

I'm really uneasy about the whole thing as i just wanted to win this week so it meant that the 3 weeks after, which are all 50/50 games are free hits rather than must win games.

I'm okay with resting players once top 2 is locked in.

The love for Burton on this site is sickening. He's been ordinary all year, yet people are saying 'big surprise', please!! The selection of Burgoyne is comical as the kid isn't up to it yet. Carlton will win and our defense will be exposed for the fraud it is.
So dont play the kid?

Side note, I’ve just entered the world late to Ted Lasso, this show was made about Hinkley right?

My comment on it was precisely that.

Unfortunately, it’s fiction. Ted Lasso knows when it’s time to leave. 😅

Mead I get as a last look, to see whether enough for another year. There’s no way Jonas should be anywhere near the side. It was hard enough to get him out last time. Unless he’s suspended again or actually really injured we’re now going to be hobbled with him the rest of the year.
FYI Mead contracted until end 2024.

5 changes to a team on a 13 game win streak?
3 of them unforced...

That's just crazy talk.
r0_0_800_600_w800_h600_fmax.jpg

McKenzie and Dixon are the biggest outs for me. JHF and Rioli are also big outs, but those we can probably cover a bit more easily than key positions.

McKenzie is a much better option than Jonas but they weren't not picking Jonas and we all knew that as soon as McKenzie hobbled off last weekend. Dixon is more physically capable than Lord, but at least they've brought in a tall KPF to maintain the structure, and from the games Lord played earlier this season I don't think he'll be an empty uniform out there.

Lycett for Hayes makes sense, even if I'd have liked to have seen Hayes get more games, but Lycett's form prior to the Essendon game puts him squarely as the first choice.

Narkle getting a full run in the 2s makes sense as well, the only one that had me scratching my head was Burton because I don't think he's been too bad this season.

Really though, if we're worth our salt we're winning this despite these changes.

And we better, because I'm driving over for it later today!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think JHF out is huge. He may have dropped off disposal number wise, but he gets a heap of attention from opposition mids. Without him that attention goes to Rozee and Butters.
There's merit in this.

Mead's form is good. It's a bit of now or never for him. While he's still young, he needs to make these sporadic opportunities at AFL level count.
He should get time in the centre-square and needs to be much more assertive and convincing in the way he approaches his midfield minutes.
A ten disposal, scrappy game with fumbles won't cut it.
Needs to be a contributor tomorrow evening.

I actually think we’ll drop 3 of the next 4 games

I hope not as our only chance of playing in a GF, this year, is finishing top 2.

Imagine going to Brisbane first week of the finals

There is literally no aspect of football that Tom Jonas is better at than Ryan Burton or that Jackson Mead is better at than Quinton Narkle. Would've been more than happy to never have seen either of those names in a Port side again.

Stinkers must have already been told he's getting an extension and he's reverted to type

So who is Willem Drew going to put his vice like grip onto this week?

After demolishing Rowell in H2 last week and having Bont and Petracca as feathers in the cap this season also, it’s going to be either Cripps or Walsh.

I reckon Cripps is the one to blanket. If he’s ability to extract is curtailed they’ll struggle to get on top of our mids.

Time for Mead, Burgoyne & Lord to take on some extra responsibility & stand up. Mead especially needs to grab the bull by the horns, convince himself he belongs at the elite level, & hit the contest hard from the opening bounce.

Burgoyne needs to show more urgency, & Lord just has to continue to build upon what has been a promising start to his AFL career. Make a contest, be aggressive & bring the ball to ground.

If these three can all make a meaningful impact I don’t see why we can’t make it 14 on the trot.

I've always drawn the line at 3 changes in any one week.
Beyond that team cohesion/ interaction gets a real workout.
Tomorrow night I get to see whether that theory holds.

That’s one game off an injury plagued pre-season, when the rest of the team also struggled. He’s been one of our better, if not best performing players at SANFL for a month now. He was also surprisingly good at both levels last year. Not that big of a shock that he got a call up. Has been doing nicely on a wing too rather than HB.
What's with all the excuses. If your selected, your expected to perform regardless of pre season. He was clearly the worst on ground and that's not saying much considering how poor we were all up. That kick in the first qtr. Unforgivable at the highest level. Have watched most magpies games and .... meh. Others have impressed me more. Hey I thought Jones was no good until the dogs game and look what he did. Fingers crossed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back