Preview Changes & Preview Thread for Round 18, 2023 vs Carlton at Marvel

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is literally no aspect of football that Tom Jonas is better at than Ryan Burton or that Jackson Mead is better at than Quinton Narkle. Would've been more than happy to never have seen either of those names in a Port side again.

I think you are all misunderstanding the Jonas selection.
He is being given a warmup game before he breaks Josh Daico's jaw next weekend, putting Collingwood out of the premiership race and giving Butters the Brownlow.

Jonas will then get to sit in the stands until after the grand final, then celebrate his pivotal role in the premiership.

Sheesh guys.

Main problems with selection.

- Mead just hasn't stepped up, at AFL or SANFL level, he's just not been able to get it together and reach the level he should. To bring him in as a mid replacing JHF is a big loss. Narkle is clearly a better choice here.

- Burton out hurts when we're already small, but to replace him with Burgoyne who has spent the last half dozen games playing as a wing and not a defender seems like another of these set our players up to fail move.

Outside of that it isn't too bad.
Lord for Dix, a loss but ok.
Lycett for Hayes, improvement but disappointing Hayes only got 1 crack.
Duursma for Rioli, obviously creates a bit of a shuffle, good to get Duurs back though.
Jonas for McKenzie, it is what it is.

We'll definitely go in weaker, ripe for the beating. Of course we can win, but this has loss written all over it now.
Our lack of depth in the backline is frightening

How many teams win after 7 changes?

I'm really uneasy about the whole thing as i just wanted to win this week so it meant that the 3 weeks after, which are all 50/50 games are free hits rather than must win games.

I'm okay with resting players once top 2 is locked in.
I expect a win.
We are not resting players, there are three injured and one not available.
I am excited that we have the confidence and are brave enough to omit other player (at the same time).

I assume the matchups will be Aliir to McKay, Jonas to Silvagni and Jones will take Curnow.

Houston/Williams/Bergman will come in third man a lot to help Jones in particular. We'll have a plan.

Burton sub and comes on in case defence needs help lol

So who is Willem Drew going to put his vice like grip onto this week?

After demolishing Rowell in H2 last week and having Bont and Petracca as feathers in the cap this season also, it’s going to be either Cripps or Walsh.

I reckon Cripps is the one to blanket. If he’s ability to extract is curtailed they’ll struggle to get on top of our mids.

Cerra for mine. On a hot streak of form and they might not know what to do if his 30 touches are down at 15. Wines to Cripps.

I think you are all misunderstanding the Jonas selection.
He is being given a warmup game before he breaks Josh Daico's jaw next weekend, putting Collingwood out of the premiership race and giving Butters the Brownlow.
Unlikely as that would require Daicos getting within a few meters of a contested ball

Despite 11 touches jhf had 4 centre clearances equal most with wines , that's the biggest problem with jason
Problem? That despite carrying an injury and off a limited pre-season he's delivering excellent results with the possessions his tank/body currently can do :think:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d be playing Jonas on McKay.. he’s hardly a power forward.. he plays soft so Jonas should be able to out body him in the contest.

I’d be thinking Bergman on curnow, and allow allir to play the intercept role..

Jonas is 188cm.
McKay is 203cm.

Jonas is slow as *. On a lead, he's not getting anywhere near McKay and even if he was, he'll be losing a foot of reach and can't jump. He won't play on him

Watch Aliir get isolated and drawn away from the ball. Ten goals to the Carlton forwards from free kicks because our other backs are too short. We had better win every centre bounce.

Jonas to knock 8 Carlton blokes out, get suspended for the rest of the season but doesnt give a s**t because he is probably going to retire anyway

I could live with that
May as well go out with a bang. Love to see Jonas do that, go berserk and iron a few blokes out but should save it for Collingwood/ Daicos or crows/ Dawson. The media reaction would be priceless. The game needs a proper thug/ villian

I'd rather Jonas just find them on the street between now and Saturday afternoon and bash them in broad daylight. Can't win if they can't field a team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back