Preview Changes & Preview Thread for Round 14, 2023 vs Geelong at Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our defense is our main weakness, undersized and flakey, prone to clangers when the heat is on, and I'm expecting it to cause us grief when it comes to the crunch...but I've been waiting for it to happen for weeks now and they continue to get the job done. Feel like Cameron, Hawkins and co. could give us plenty of trouble, hopefully our midfield can ensure the ball doesn't get down there too often.

Seeings there are other Cats supporters in here, I wanna add my two bobs worth :)
Absolutely love the way Port are going about it so far.
I'm surprised you think this way about your defense. If anything, it's been small forwards who have caught you off guard but when it comes to bigs, not many have taken advantage against you.

The run and carry out of defense has been electric.

I watched Geelong very closely with there last win over the Dogs.
They hung around like a bad smell most of the night and I thought any time now the Dogs will blow them away,it never happened.
I’d be very surprised if we lost to them this week.
The only thing going for them is our short turnaround.

Thankfully it'll be a very different team. You won't be up against a SANFL level midfield. I expect you to win but that's because you're a very good team. You'd put 10 goals minimum on last week's Geelong team.

Geelong's centre bounce group last week must be amongst the weakest in AFL history. It consisted of

A gun tagger/2nd ruck/winger (Blicavs)
A good 4th-5th best mid (Atkins)
A cooked ruck (Ceglar)
A half back (O'Connor)
2 kids that aren't physically ready (Knevitt and Bruhn)
4 forwards who have pretty much never played midfield (Close, Stengle, Cameron and Ollie Henry)

Even the Eagles this week (Williams, Kelly, Sheed, Chesser, Ginbey, Yeo, Shuey and Trew) had it covered by a long way and they got done by over 20 goals.

Dangerfield, Holmes, Duncan, Bowes and maybe Stanley are a huge upgrade on the mess we've had in midfield for the last month.

with respects to Geelong, and some of their posters, this game will not be a walk in the park.

We r coming off two 6 day breaks, compared to Geelong having a bye. This may work in our favour being a bit more hardened, but perhaps not as much in the tank, although our last quarters have been very good.

A baby oiled up Hawkins and Cameron are a handful regardless.
And yes Geelongs organisation and defensive structures are very good, and they are well disciplined.

With saying all this, this is probably the most confident any of us have been with our midfield since 2004, in terms of form and personnel, and the most confident we have been against a Geelong outfit for a very long time.

Geelong are a good side and under no circumstances should we consider this a guaranteed win.

That said, when push comes to shove, I just feel like emotionally we will want this one more than they do. Win this one and we take the streak in to the bye and can rest and re-focus. Geelong already have their flag.

Geelong are a good side and under no circumstances should we consider this a guaranteed win.

That said, when push comes to shove, I just feel like emotionally we will want this one more than they do. Win this one and we take the streak in to the bye and can rest and re-focus. Geelong already have their flag.
Of their next 11 games, 8 of them are against a side currently the 8, the other three are Swans, North and Freo.
They still have to play all of the current top 4 (Brisbane at the Gabba) and us twice.

They'll need to win at least 6, more likely 7 just to make the 8. Listening to Scott this week they'll probably be aiming higher given the players they have coming back in.
They've only missed the top 8 once (2015) in the last 15 years so belief would be high.

If they're not up and about for Thursday night then they might as well be planning for 2024 and an early preseason.

Ah silly me for thinking this was genuine, I see now I'm just being trolled.

Good job kids. Won't bother sharing info with you guys in the future - as it's obviously a waste of time, and you can't seem to play nice with the other children in the playground.

I could troll back or say something about how good we are or how sh*t you are, but I honestly just find this behaviour sad.

Seriously, grow up.

See ya.
It's just a running joke on this forum you won't get. Don't get your knickers in a knot.

I've seen what you've posted prior to this - there was nothing innocent in your comment (you called him Clangerfield in the same sentence, while trying to get a rise), in response to what was little more than just passing on information regarding our matchup this week.

You are right though it is your board, and I quite honestly couldn't care less about your POV on us. But seriously, you had no reason to post the response you did, and it really was unnecessary when I was just providing you info.

Maybe try and engage better with oppo supporters in future, hey?

See ya.
A sanctimonious Geelong Fan - Gerard, is that you?

Ah silly me for thinking this was genuine, I see now I'm just being trolled.

Good job kids. Won't bother sharing info with you guys in the future - as it's obviously a waste of time, and you can't seem to play nice with the other children in the playground.

I could troll back or say something about how good we are or how sh*t you are, but I honestly just find this behaviour sad.

Seriously, grow up.

See ya.
I'm being sincere when I say this but BLOODY WELL SAID, the posters here are a bunch of mouth breathers with Schulzenfest known as being especially vile.

Its a shame we can't have better dialogue with rival posters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Changes from the last time we played Geelong:

Geelong

Out: Selwood
In: Stewart

Port

Out: Gray, Clurey, Jonas, Georgiades, Amon, Bonner
In: Rioli, Horne-Francis, Lycett, McKenzie, Sinn, Williams

As a collective, our ins are stronger than our outs, whereas Geelong is probably break even in terms of their strength. That’s not factoring in the natural improvement in guys like Rozee and Butters.

But make no mistake, Geelong is a potent side. However, if we just focus on improving every week, then an improvement in the performance against the Dogs will see us win. Good sides play to beat the opposition. Great sides play to beat their best.

I'm being sincere when I say this but BLOODY WELL SAID, the posters here are a bunch of mouth breathers with Schulzenfest known as being especially vile.

Its a shame we can't have better dialogue with rival posters.
BLOODY WELL POINTED OUT

Why? we delisted him then rookie'd him. So no certainty of his future with us. Yeah we've given him a shot, but what? Whose to say we wouldn't look at flicking him in an upgraded trade?
By his own admission, rookie-ing him was the best thing for him. He knew this was his last-chance saloon, so he went away and did some extra work in the pre-season, and has really knuckled down to the task of improving himself. The best thing for his career is to stay at Port, and to keep doing what he is doing.

with respects to Geelong, and some of their posters, this game will not be a walk in the park.

We r coming off two 6 day breaks, compared to Geelong having a bye. This may work in our favour being a bit more hardened, but perhaps not as much in the tank, although our last quarters have been very good.

A baby oiled up Hawkins and Cameron are a handful regardless.
And yes Geelongs organisation and defensive structures are very good, and they are well disciplined.

With saying all this, this is probably the most confident any of us have been with our midfield since 2004, in terms of form and personnel, and the most confident we have been against a Geelong outfit for a very long time.
Yeah the baby oil gets me every time🤣What is with that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back