Roast Changes: R6 vs West Coast, 2020 - What the * are we doing?

Winner & Ins / Outs?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I realise that, but our defense has been holding up well outside of the Port game
I'm not whinging about our defence, however how many shots on goal did Brisbane have last week. I realise a lot of opposition goals/scoring shots are a result of turn overs up the ground and being spanked in clearances. And then opposition teams getting a series of repeat F50 entries.

It looks like the defenders have been under siege some games

Did have a laugh at this...

"Butch [David Mackay]"
The way Tex is playing and moving I wouldn't even be against bringing in Keiran Strachan for him up Forward, can take a big grab and kick a goal as he demonstrated in his 1st season with us where he played a fair bit up forward in the SANFL with Hunter and ROB doing the bulk of the rucking. Quite mobile and not slow for his size and looking at footage from the weekends scratch match looks to have beefed up considerably.....wouldn't have to do too much to be better than Tex and the Berg this season.

Edit : Put it this way IMO reckon he'd be more chance of taking a contested mark at 204cm than a one-armed Tex and a cement-handed Himmelberg.

Last edited:
I'm not whinging about our defence, however how many shots on goal did Brisbane have last week. I realise a lot of opposition goals/scoring shots are a result of turn overs up the ground and being spanked in clearances. And then opposition teams getting a series of repeat F50 entries.

It looks like the defenders have been under siege some games

They have been under siege, still, Brisbane were missing difficult shots for the most part, instead of easy ones.

Unfortunately a failing midfield will even cause a fantastic defence to break (I am not saying ours is fantastic, just that it will)

ex
The way Tex is playing and moving I wouldn't be against even bringing in Keiran Strachan for him up Forward, can take a big grab and kick a goal as he demonstrated in his 1st season with us where he played a fair bit up forward in the SANFL with Hunter and ROB doing the bulk of the rucking. Quite mobile and not slow for his size and looking at footage from the weekends scratch match looks to have beefed up considerably.....wouldn't have to do too much to be better than Tex and the Berg this season.
I'd prefer if we are giving Tex a few weeks rest, that we bring McAsey in up forward. Seemed to show a bit up there v Port, and now that our forward line coach is back, he should be getting some good instruction about when and where to lead to
🤣

Win or lose next week guys we'll still stand behind you as SA's premier side. Im only sorry we couldnt do Port over for you the other week.

We all know that Freo is the Port of WA.

And we really would want to be the West Coast of SA, though we're nowhere near it at the moment ...

I'd prefer if we are giving Tex a few weeks rest, that we bring McAsey in up forward. Seemed to show a bit up there v Port, and now that our forward line coach is back, he should be getting some good instruction about when and where to lead to
🤣

Change a few weeks rest to given a farewell game in round 17, and I'm with you.

🤣
Strachan has the advantage he can genuinely chop out in ruck>>>>>>>>>>Frampton Himmelberg

And we get to see if he's a viable AFL Ruck/Forward into the future because Himmelberg and Frampton don't excite me as chop out ruck options and certainly not as lead rucks into the future.

God help us if ROB gets an injury because even though he's an ordinary tap ruckman he's bloody good around the ground.

🤣
Id prefer it if we told tex to go away for the next 5 weeks, lose a bit of weight, train your arse off and put a heap of work into all the muscles that enable you to get both your arms up above your head AT THE SAME TIME!...

do that and we will look at bringing him back in.

Strachan has the advantage he can chop out in ruck>>>>>>>>>>Frampton Himmelberg

And we get to see if he's a viable AFL Ruck/Forward into the future because Himmelberg and Frampton don't excite me as chop out ruck options and certainly not as lead rucks into the future.

God help us if ROB gets an injury because even though he's an ordinary tap ruckman he's bloody good around the ground.
I still prefer to have a forward (e.g. Frampton) chop out in the ruck for 10mins a game than playing a ruck for 90% of the time up forward

Id prefer it if we told tex to go away for the next 5 weeks, lose a bit of weight, train your arse off and put a heap of work into all the muscles that enable you to get both your arms up above your head AT THE SAME TIME!...

do that and we will look at bringing him back in.
What do you think he was doing during iso?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Matt has 27 touches and only 194m gained. So each touch only went an average of 7m, kick and handballs.

Once I saw him get the ball at half back, and he swung his head from wing to wing looking for options without even bothering to glance through the corridor, as if it was a complete non-option. It was bizarre.

TBH, it's looking more and more likely this will be his last year the way he is moving

Yup. He's either hideously injured or finished.

Considering how long he was on the ground after a pretty minor play against Freo, I'm willing to call it.

Thought Brad was mostly out of position at centre bounces, almost as if he wanted ROB to look bad, anyone who watches again, take note of Brads first running pattern at the bounce.

Thought Brad was mostly out of position at centre bounces, almost as if he wanted ROB to look bad, anyone who watches again, take note of Brads first running pattern at the bounce.
Brad doesn't set the Centre bounce set ups....that's Mick Godden's brief

What do you think he was doing during iso?
Who knows?.... but he looks unfit.. there was a moment in yesterdays game where he made a 40 or so metre lead for the ball, fell down in the contest, took an eternity to get up (even the commentators meantioned it) and then stood there for about 10 seconds hunched over sucking in the breaths..

And why does he continually go up for a mark with one hand?...

either its a bad habit he’s developed and cant seem to shake... or his muscles currently wont allow him to go up with both..

either change the habit or work on fixing those muscles so he can use both arms in an overhead mark because at present its definately not working in his or the teams favour..

Last edited:
The way Tex is playing and moving I wouldn't even be against bringing in Keiran Strachan for him up Forward, can take a big grab and kick a goal as he demonstrated in his 1st season with us where he played a fair bit up forward in the SANFL with Hunter and ROB doing the bulk of the rucking. Quite mobile and not slow for his size and looking at footage from the weekends scratch match looks to have beefed up considerably.....wouldn't have to do too much to be better than Tex and the Berg this season.

Edit : Put it this way IMO reckon he'd be more chance of taking a contested mark at 204cm than a one-armed Tex and a cement-handed Himmelberg.
Yep... we need to try something different..

himmelburg is a bust i think..

We arent going to lose anything whatsoever from trying Strachan out..

were probably gonna get flogged anyway as WC looked like they got a bit of their mojo back on the w/e..

I've not seen much of Strachan, but from the little I did see he did have surprisingly nimble mobility for a man that size. If he has decent enough hands, then hey, what have we got to lose?

"Running pattern"? All our mids wear concrete boots, they don't move at all during a stoppage. That's half the problem

Strachan development has been outstanding since arriving aswell, with added responsibility I could see him going up another level quickly, becoming a permanent addition to the seniors.

A little surprised to see people wanting Hartigan to be dropped. I know he's on a lot of s**t lists around here, but I actually thought his presence firmed up that defense and allowed a few of our more attacking players to finally play their natural game (Smith, Doedee, Hamill).

Coming up against Kennedy and Darling as well, I'm certainly not in a rush to drop him. I like Fish, but if he's going against either of them 1on1 it could get very very ugly!

Brad doesn't set the Centre bounce set ups....that's Mick Godden's brief
Mids haven't been great for a couple of years. Add experienced midfield coach to the shopping list for next year too.

Here are the total clearance figures from this year, for against and differential...I hope this isn't one of Micky Godden's KPIs
(source https://afltables.com/afl/stats/2020s.html)
1594015950334.png

Back