Prediction Changes: Round 2 Vs GWS + pre-match discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Blakley is clearly not best 22 anyway so don't understand the defence of his omission. Comparing it to Colyer, as much as I wish he was dropped too, is silly given they don't play the same position. Neither are nowhere near first team when all players are fit.

Looking forward to next week's ins, in my dreams, Walters, Treacy, Sturt, Logue. Colyer ain't surviving those ins. That would mean round 1 to round 3, nine different selections (40%). I'm sure they will look a completely different team.

Blakely doesn't defend. It's something you don't see on TV, but the coaches pick it up on the multitude of cameras they have access to.

I'm guessing that's why he's been dropped again.

I didn't watch last week, but I watched him very closely live last year and what you say is simply not true. He was extremely focused on his opponent. Maybe even too much. He was ultra defensive. His issues are elsewhere.

He doesn’t get a chance. Thought he went inside and got in hard. The same cannot be said about Acres.
Colyer has ‘fast’ legs, but there’s no point if he’s useless at kicking. 3 OOTF and one behind? Meh. He’s out for Walters next week anyway.
We don't need inside and hard. In fact, the Demons game should have been his forte and he didn't really make a dent. He isn't best 25 at any rate. I'm expecting Fyfe and Mundy to have bigger midfield time this week at any rate.

Might as well kill Carlton's hopes of finals while we're at it.

Not too sure about that. Based on their past two games they’ve been very competitive without getting the chocolates. Much as I hate the Blues I reckon they’ll probably roll us next week.

I'm keen to see how we go tomorrow knowing we will hopefully get back some key pieces for Round 3 before I make any wild predictions either way on how we'll likely go against Carlton. I think people are still over-reacting way too much to our Round 1 performance. Our team looks better balanced for Rd 2 (still don't think we'll win but confident we will perform a lot better) and by Rd 3 the team should be considerably improved.

Got to remember that lads coming back from injury’s especially long layoffs like Sturt and Logue will take 2 or 3 games to get up to speed.
True but if they can hit the side of a barn by foot they'd be a clear improvement on some of the players we are carrying in the 22 currently.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pardon the intrusion gents, just noticed Hughes was named on the HFF and thought that was a bit odd. Any word on him playing forward this week?

But Lyon was a defensive coach and look how that turned out for him.
If Longmuir is going to be the saviour coach he needs to loosen his defensive mindset and get pro active.
Lyon was heavily criticized from day one as being to boring. Longmuir should be getting the same criticism, he is extra conservative. Injuries shouldn't come into it, Lyon had the same problem.

At least Lyons pressers were entertaining. :p
I know thats a tougne in cheek post But I have posted this before and will post it Again. I will savour every final under ross lyon. I will savour every final under J-lo (If he leads us to finals)
Absolutely Lyon and Longmuir are similar re defence first. There are other differences, but I reckon on the point of fundamental coaching philosophy I reckon both prefer to stop the oppo scoring first and worry about us scoring second. But I think most senior coaches in the league are like that.

The big issue for Lyon wasn't defence first, but that he struggled to construct an effective offensive system. You stop them from scoring, win the ball, and then what? It's a way harder nut to crack than your defence (which is probably why most coaches focus on defence first)

If our offense had been "good enough" to capitalise on the amount of contested ball we won, Lyon could still have his job. He would have been harder to sack, at least.

About Longmuir? Well, I think the jury it still out on his ability to construct an offensive system. Last year he passed the first coaching test: get the team to defend well. Getting the team to transition the ball and score is much harder and we haven't seen any progress yet.
This is what I am observing.

We have gone from a defensive coach in Ross Lyon to a defensive but counter attacking coach in Justin Longmuir.

Last week, freo got 57 inside 50s, demons got 61. Not going to bring up the 2020 inside 50 count and averages as it was 16 minute quarters.

But our round 23, 2019 game vs Port. Freo only got 32 inside 50s which is way low. Freos inside 50 average is 51.5.

So I dont mind getting 50 inside 50s a game and scoring 11-15 goals a game too. Freo Has goal scorers in Taberner, Walters, Lobb and Crowden. the issue isnt the talent or the inside 50s. the issue is ball movement and being quick enough to give the ball to them to score.

But Lyons issue wasnt the injuries. It was refusing to play young blood. Didnt get enough games into Clark during his youth to develop him and he turnned into a vegetable, Griffin was a good ruck but used randomly and without enough games in the years on the list, Strnidca/Moller/Uber just to name a few that he didnt blood because he relied on Sandilands only. Then when sandi gets injured he plays guys with 5 or less games and shelves them in the WAFL as a defender for not being good enough at AFL level. Played players well past use by date because he was potentially his dad, or because he wanted friends on the board, or because his attitude toward a rebuild was the same as it was at St Kilda who he ran into the ground. Thats why he was sacked. Not because of a win/loss record because of injuries. If thats the case, Lyon should never had replaced Mark Harvey who had a worse injury list than anyone else at the time he was sacked.
I disagree about not getting enough games into Zac Clarke. He got games gradually and at the right time too.

Zac Clarkes 1st 5 years game tally.

2009: 5 games
2010: 3 games
2011: 13 games
2012: 15 games
2013: 17 games.

Dont care what you think of Zac Clarke. He got developed at the right time. Still remember that 2012 game vs North at Docklands. He kicked 3 goals and made some good marks too.

2013, he stepped up brilliantly. I friggin remember this well. Clarke was out for the 1st 4 weeks due to getting injured in the big day out. He comes back in round 5. Sandilands doesnt play a game until like round 15 as he had a turf toe injury. Rounds 5-7 Clarke and Griffin are our main rucks. in ROund 7, Griffin sadly does his knee. from rounds 7-15, Clarke and Hannath hold the fort until Sandilands returns.

Ok I agree With Ross Lyon not playing enough youth from 2012-15. But Part of the problem in that 2012-15 drafting period was freo were unlucky in choosing the kids.

the 2012 draft got us Josh Simpson and tanner smith.

2013 gave us the likes of Michael Apeness and Alex Pearce and Brady Grey.

2014 got us Lachie Weller, Connor Blakely and ed Langdon

2015 got us Darcy tucker and Harley Balic.

Didnt get enough games into Clark during his youth to develop him and he turnned into a vegetable, because he relied on Sandilands only.
Well right and wrong at the same time. Clarke was no key forward but a first ruck. So it was hard to play him while we had Sandilands and were contending. But I have no solution to this. Ruck is a difficult position to manage list wise. When you have one ruck who can solo ruck games it is hard to blood another unless he can have real impact forward (or somewhere else).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back