Changes V Giants RD 18

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to be freaking cold in Canberra for this game, risky for players with soft tissue issues. This may impact on whether Rich, Zorko, Berry and Prior play.
As an ex-Canberrian myself, it can risky for everyone at the ground if they have soft tissue related issues haha :p

Remember SizeMatters to apply yourself with heaps of clothing on cause it can be very bloody cold over there without much relief in the capital (as you would have probably experienced living there) ;)

I reckon play Michael as half back with Coleman. Need some new looks I reckon. Play Robertson instead of Lyons. Drop a tall forward and play Rayner FF.
Great strategy.

The 3 tall forwards isn't helping us in the form they're in at the moment . It was fine when they were firing. Rayner looks half lost in what his role is or what he's meant to be doing. Stick him FF, leave him there and tell him to lead hard and contest hard.

Not sure what Michael's capacity is at present but at least he didn't make too many mistakes and when he did get it didn't cough it up.

Lyons needs a rest. He just looks stale and disinterested. Give someone younger a crack at it and try to freshen Lyons up.

Isn't Canberra usually a safe bet for 12k+?

At Olympic Park we can get 5k without trying... :huh:
From personal experience, AFL matches over there usually got around 10-12k per match (pre-COVID times) so probably expecting around 8-9k on Saturday, given the ongoing COVID situation and depending on how the weather is tracking and plus given its two non-Victorian clubs playing as well, with anything more than that would be a positive.

Hipwood can't get a contested disposal of any sort this year. McStay was hopeless the few weeks prior to missing with covid. Playing Raynor forward is a good idea as we cannot plat the big O up forward.

The previous two should be told "Perform or else".

Lyons, if picked should be told the same thing.

We cannot reward mediocracy any more.

Great strategy.

The 3 tall forwards isn't helping us in the form they're in at the moment . It was fine when they were firing. Rayner looks half lost in what his role is or what he's meant to be doing. Stick him FF, leave him there and tell him to lead hard and contest hard.

Not sure what Michael's capacity is at present but at least he didn't make too many mistakes and when he did get it didn't cough it up.

Lyons needs a rest. He just looks stale and disinterested. Give someone younger a crack at it and try to freshen Lyons up.
Spot on. I reckon Rayner is a FF in the Leigh Mathews mold. Who to drop? well, you know who. Dan and Eric out on the 50, Rayner and Oscar/ Fort in the square. Linc and Charlie on the lead. Bailey/ Lohman sneaking forward.

Hipwood can't get a contested disposal of any sort this year. McStay was hopeless the few weeks prior to missing with covid. Playing Raynor forward is a good idea as we cannot plat the big O up forward.

The previous two should be told "Perform or else".

Lyons, if picked should be told the same thing.

We cannot reward mediocracy any more.
100% Agree. Sadly Fagan has backed too many players for too long, expecting them to “find form” in the senior side, while playing others out of position and not giving players like Prior, Robertson, Ah Chee, Mathieson and Lester a fair run. His obsession with ‘Brutus Beefcake’ defenders has cost us in defence this year, because neither Adams or Payne play accountable football, too often flying from behind and making little defensive impact. Sides have got our defence worked out and they are finding ways to negate our advantage in intercept marking and unfortunately Fagan has put all his eggs into that basket. As a consequence, we are doing poorly when the ball is on the deck and players, Adams in particular look lost. Simply put we need more grunt in defence, but Fagan just hasn’t worked this out yet it seems. Just look at the ranking of our defenders in what I see as a crucial defensive metric, contested possession.

BRISBANE LIONS CONTESTED POSSESSION CAREER RANKINGS USING AFL COMPETITION DATA

R. Lester - ELITE
B. Starcevich - ABOVE AVERAGE
H. Andrews - ABOVE AVERAGE
J. Payne - AVERAGE
D. Rich - AVERAGE
K. Coleman- AVERAGE
N. Answerth - BELOW AVERAGE
D. Gardiner - BELOW AVERAGE
M. Adams - BELOW AVERAGE

Of these defenders Answerth, Adams and Gardiner (when fit) are walk up starts for a game irrespective of form, but they are unreliable when it comes to contested ball.
There is not an appropriate spread of skills. Andrews is one of the competition’s leading defenders and we all love Starcevich because he has a red hot go, but for some bizzare reason Lester can’t get a regular game? Ryan Lester, the player ranked as ELITE by AFL standards in one in one contests and contested possession can’t find a place in our shaky defence? It really is poor coaching from Fagan and our backline coach Murray Davis. Seriously, if Noah Answerth can’t win more than his share of contested possession, why is he getting selected? We have too many defenders playing bruise free football in our side and we are not going to go anywhere in September without changes. Fagan’s more of the same won’t cut it.

Finally, Fagan also needs to get back to the coach’s box. He’s not one of the boys. He needs some distance and objectivity. It might work for the broadcasters, who are addicted to the cut away shot of Fages standing by the bench clutching his headphones, but I don’t think it is working for the players anymore.

Last edited:
100% Agree. Sadly Fagan has backed too many players for too long, expecting them to “find form” in the senior side, while playing others out of position and not giving players like Prior, Robertson, Ah Chee, Mathieson and Lester a fair run. His obsession with ‘Brutus Beefcake’ defenders has cost us in defence this year, because neither Adams or Payne play accountable football, too often flying from behind and making little defensive impact. Sides have got our defence worked out and they are finding ways to negate our advantage in intercept marking and unfortunately Fagan has put all his eggs into that basket. As a consequence, we are doing poorly when the ball is on the deck and players, Adams in particular look lost. Simply put we need more grunt in defence, but Fagan just hasn’t worked this out yet it seems. Just look at the ranking of our defenders in what I see as a crucial defensive metric, contested possession.

R. Lester - ELITE
J. Payne - AVERAGE
D. Rich - AVERAGE
M. Adams - BELOW AVERAGE

Of these defenders Answerth, Adams and Gardiner (when fit) are walk up starts for a game irrespective of form, but they are unreliable when it comes to contested ball.
There is not an appropriate spread of skills. Andrews is elite and we all love Starcevich because he has a red hot go, but for some bizzare reason Lester can’t get a regular game? Ryan Lester, the player ranked as ELITE by AFL standards in one in one contests and contested possession can’t find a place in our shaky defence? It really is poor coaching from Fagan and our backline coach Murray Davis. Seriously, if Noah Answerth can’t win more than his share of contested possession, why is he getting selected? We have too many defenders playing bruise free football in our side and we are not going to go anywhere in September without changes. Fagan’s more of the same won’t cut it.

Finally, Fagan also needs to get back to the coach’s box. He’s not one of the boys. He needs some distance and objectivity. It might work for the broadcasters, who are addicted to the cut away shot of Fages standing by the bench clutching his headphones, but I don’t think it is working for the players anymore.

Wow re Lester. We lose contested possessions all the time, so that presents strongly for his selection.

Did you look at midfield contested possessions gets as well?

Wow re Lester. We lose contested possessions all the time, so that presents strongly for his selection.

Did you look at midfield contested possessions gets as well?
No I didn’t - tomorrow 👍

(Log in to remove this ad.)

R. Lester - ELITE
J. Payne - AVERAGE
D. Rich - AVERAGE
K. Coleman- AVERAGE
M. Adams - BELOW AVERAGE

There is not an appropriate spread of skills. Andrews is one of the competition’s leading defenders and we all love Starcevich because he has a red hot go, but for some bizzare reason Lester can’t get a regular game? Ryan Lester, the player ranked as ELITE by AFL standards in one in one contests and contested possession can’t find a place in our shaky defence? It really is poor coaching from Fagan and our backline coach Murray Davis. Seriously, if Noah Answerth can’t win more than his share of contested possession, why is he getting selected? We have too many defenders playing bruise free football in our side and we are not going to go anywhere in September without changes. Fagan’s more of the same won’t cut it.

Not sure what you’re looking at. Must be special 3KZ stats

Lester averages 5.7 contested possessions per game in his career (thanks to a couple of seasons in the midfield. Adams averages 5.5

Actually since playing down back Lester averages about the same as Answerth and less than Dizzy and Adams

Last edited:

Quote from 3KZ

I have thought this for two years now. Being down at ground level might be useful when we were crap and the [players needed encouragement. or less charitably, modi codling (how do you spell that 3KZ) but now we are a mature footy team.

You get a far better overall view of the game from above as well.

Quote from 3KZ

I have thought this for two years now. Being down at ground level might be useful when we were crap and the [players needed encouragement. or less charitably, modi codling (how do you spell that 3KZ) but now we are a mature footy team.

You get a far better overall view of the game from above as well.
Fagan isn’t the tactician though… we have known this the whole way through. His job is to convey the message. Secondly, have you noticed how many coaches are down on the boundary now?

Not sure what you’re looking at. Must be special 3KZ stats

Lester averages 5.7 contested possessions per game in his career (thanks to a couple of seasons in the midfield. Adams averages 5.5

Actually since playing down back Lester averages about the same as Answerth and less than Dizzy and Adams
AFL website - Player Stats - Career not Season Stats.

Some real brain genius selection ideas here. What contest does Rayner present down the line against Sam Taylor or another key defender? Do we want to waste his body by having him get battered in 10-15 marking contests a game?

He's had a few bad weeks and definitely could do more work defensively when in the midfiled. I'm more concerned though about people who actually win posession which we are lacking other than Lachie - its worth continuing to have Cam do stints in there because for that stretch around the giants and dockers games, he was contributing well in that area.

Bailey is far more of a liability in the midfield right now and has had a very very disappointing 2 months.

should find out whos got covid with team sheets out this evening

would temper expectations on those returning from hsp, bailey has looked off since coming back
Zac has been off almost all season.... been disappointing, I thought he was in for an AA level season.

He's still kicking a lot of goals.. 28 goals in 15 games but his around the ground high impact per possession stuff has been well below his best.

I was interested to compare Bailey with Shai Bolton a few months ago but they are currently in different postcodes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back