Opinion Changes vs Hawks OUT: Ryan Cox IN: Deluca McCarthy

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can kinda understand not picking Tabs. He's shown over his short career that he'll play 1, maybe 2 'breakout games' and then regress to crapness the very next week and not play well again during that stint. He'll get dropped until he kicks a bag and then he'll be straight back in repeating the above.

Force him to truly dominate WAFL for 4-5 weeks and hope it translates to AFL when he's finally selected.

Has McCarthy trained hard over the past 2 weeks? Feel like he get given permission to have a 2 week break thanks to that. suspension. As if he got told no worries your spot is still there.. take it easy.

Feel hard done here. Seriously, Darcy as the lone ruck?! Sudicial coaching yet again, if he goes down.. the team is stuffed. Just like Sandi down. Ross never learns.

At this stage I wish they'd pick Taberner just so people could get vindicated either way, rather than speculating on what if's and going around in circular arguments.

In some ways you could argue that Collins continued non-selection is more upsetting for a team in rebuild mode, as he is being kept out of the side by a 32 year old who won't be part of our future.

The biggest worry this week is the lack of any kind of backup ruck and a lack of talls in general. Johnson or Logue will have to rotate into the ruck, and if any one of our talls go down we are basically screwed. I expect Collins to be a late in, based on our current strategy of playing defenders out of position in a forward role without even playing there in WAFL.

What are the odds of Mitchell getting 40+ possessions with Suban tagging him?

Ryan and Cox being axed for drinking makes perfect sense. McCarthy being an automatic inclusion is not surprising, but it's yet again s**t coaching. No reason whatsoever to bring him in, done nothing for 3 months, gets a two week holiday for a silly tackle and instantly gets his place back. Norf just dropped Goldstein......I say it every week, at the selection table we are sackless and pathetic.

Could be an optical illusion, but has Cam been smashing some weights over his mini-break? Certainly hasn't been getting sun!

Will be exciting watching his growth over the coming preseason if he's done this in 2 weeks.

View attachment 394508
Looks like he’s just lost a bit of pudge to be honest

At this stage I wish they'd pick Taberner just so people could get vindicated either way, rather than speculating on what if's and going around in circular arguments.

In some ways you could argue that Collins continued non-selection is more upsetting for a team in rebuild mode, as he is being kept out of the side by a 32 year old who won't be part of our future.

Tabs is effectively being kept out of the side by Ballantyne this week so the same thing applies.

Any poster who uses that term happy with mediocrity hasn't got a clue . Its the biggest cop out term on BF and is used by total losers .

As I said, some of us would like to see some progress.

Suggesting someone hasn't got a clue is quite common coming from you however; here's a news flash. You're not the all-knowing. Get over yourself.

As for the comment about it being used by total losers, wow, congratu*******lations, you're such a wonderful person praising the club and being 100% happy with how we're tracking.

You know what, maybe using that term happy with mediocrity is a bit harsh in some cases........how about being delusional about how we're really going??? Surely that's more appropriate.

Possible silver lining to the Ryan omission is Crozier gets thrown down back. Deluca to cover the half forward role.
Possibly, maybe even Nyhuis plays the whole game down back. I still really want Croz in the backline though.

Spurr - Hamling - Hughes
Weller - Johnson - Blakely
+Logue

Nyhuis/Croz to fit in their aswell.

Really wish Spurr didn't come straight back.

Can kinda understand not picking Tabs. He's shown over his short career that he'll play 1, maybe 2 'breakout games' and then regress to crapness the very next week and not play well again during that stint. He'll get dropped until he kicks a bag and then he'll be straight back in repeating the above.

Force him to truly dominate WAFL for 4-5 weeks and hope it translates to AFL when he's finally selected.
I can understand Tabs' not being selected, he has been inconsistent and maybe they want to see him dominate the WAFL for longer. Just wished the others were held to that standard and that we would play a proper structure up forward.

Hell give Collins a go up forward, sit Griffin in the goal square and bomb it on his head so he doesn't have to run.

What are the odds of Mitchell getting 40+ possessions with Suban tagging him?
Suban like Ballas has gone back to spudding it up after a good first couple of games.

As I said, some of us would like to see some progress.

Suggesting someone hasn't got a clue is quite common coming from you however; here's a news flash. You're not the all-knowing. Get over yourself.

As for the comment about it being used by total losers, wow, congratu*******lations, you're such a wonderful person praising the club and being 100% happy with how we're tracking.

You know what, maybe using that term happy with mediocrity is a bit harsh in some cases........how about being delusional about how we're really going??? Surely that's more appropriate.

Now this is a melt.

It's interesting seeing the difference in how people watch a rebuild unfold. I sit in a different seat to my old man, and at the end of the game (that i mostly laughed through) we met up to debrief and had one of those say-the-opposite-thing-at-the-same-time moments. Something along the lines of:

"Absolutely pathetic."
"So close!"

He couldn't see any positives other than the pressure, whereas my impression was that we carved it up with run and slick handballs, only to fall apart with some of the most unbelievably bad entries and goal kicking.

Having now watched the replay, I think watching live gave a better impression of just how fast and furious we played at times. But watching on TV i really noticed how WC patiently chipped their way through our zone. Smart, methodical, but boring as bats** IMO.

Happy to see how the side progresses without a proper kpf while the 4 points arent the no1 goal. If we haven't found the right guy in a couple of years when we're primed for a tilt then I think it's pitchfork time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feel hard done here. Seriously, Darcy as the lone ruck?! Sudicial coaching yet again, if he goes down.. the team is stuffed. Just like Sandi down. Ross never learns.

The Hawks going in the same with just McEvoy, or is Shoenmakers their pinch hitting ruckman for relief?!

Happy to see how the side progresses without a proper kpf while the 4 points arent the no1 goal. If we haven't found the right guy in a couple of years when we're primed for a tilt then I think it's pitchfork time.

The thing is it's almost already too late.

If we draft a gun key forward this draft then he might be coming into his prime in a couple of years when we're ready for a tilt.

Otherwise we're basically screwed. We've had 15 years to find a key forward and still haven't.

Having now watched the replay, I think watching live gave a better impression of just how fast and furious we played at times. But watching on TV i really noticed how WC patiently chipped their way through our zone. Smart, methodical, but boring as bats** IMO.

Not sure this is true. Yes, they chipped it around and carved their way through our zones but from where I was sitting a team full of Shaun McManus' and Beau Waters' would have done it blindfolded. I just couldn't understand the strategy. It seemed we were happy to give their guys 5m at every play, almost enticing them to kick to the free man in anticipation of some smart zoning in the backline which would seem them undone. Of course, the latter never eventuated and they easily kicked into the F50 for a mark and goal.

I think the Eagles were surprised at how easy it was to run off their man, create the space, take the mark, look for the next free man, repeat. I have seen us do this a few times this year (giving the opposition space); the Brisbane game comes to mind. Not sure if we are trialling a new zoning system which is in it's infancy but at the moment it makes us look slow and unfit.

Or Nyhuis does? Agree would prefer ATM for Crozier to go back but it is not a certainty.
I am for trying Nyhuis down back. Would love to see what he has to offer in an area of the ground he is comfortable in.

McCarthy being an automatic inclusion is not surprising, but it's yet again s**t coaching. No reason whatsoever to bring him in, done nothing for 3 months, gets a two week holiday for a silly tackle and instantly gets his place back.

I think he was pretty unlucky with that suspension. If Gilbert had gotten up as normal it wouldn't have even been looked at.

It wasn't a silly or undisciplined act per se and it would be pretty harsh to further punish him for it. Form is another matter of course.

Unlucky how so many of our overlooked and late picked players go from so talented to average after playing a game at the top level.
Is it between the ears? Do we need a new team psych?

I have often wondered why our young guys seem to be meek and lacking mongrel. It seems they go into their shells and this affects their performance. Guys like Weller and Darcy are exceptions but I'd love to see the others back their ability and take a game on. Ed DeGoey for the Pies is a perfect example. Talented player, only his second year (?) and plays with the confidence of a veteran.

Is it between the ears? Do we need a new team psych?

I have often wondered why our young guys seem to be meek and lacking mongrel. It seems they go into their shells and this affects their performance. Guys like Weller and Darcy are exceptions but I'd love to see the others back their ability and take a game on. Ed DeGoey for the Pies is a perfect example. Talented player, only his second year (?) and plays with the confidence of a veteran.
It is all about perception for the supporters.

The players and the staff know the limitations of the player, the supporters see the output on the weekend and can believe that will translate to the top level.

I love all the supporters that think they know more than the coaching staff. Clarkson is operating with two 193cm (Roughead, O'Brien) forwards and a host of smaller forwards and doing fine. Richmond have only really being playing Riewoldt as a tall forward for most of the season.

In this day in age, a KPF needs to be so much more than tall. If they can't chase or win ground ball, they become very ineffective very quickly. Even forwards like Hawkins are having reduced impact because they don't offer too much more than bringing the ball to ground and kicking a couple of goals a game.

I think at Subi the importance of KPF is probably higher because there is less space to operate in so the ability to bring the ball to ground is imperative; that's why McGovern and co have such significant impact while they don't at the MCG. I am not trying to understate the need for a KPF, Port have improved significantly with Dixon in the side. But they have to be good; we can't play them just because they are tall.

And Ross has backed Taberner more than anyone. People seem to have very short minds because Taberner has been lambasted by all and sundry in the past and now finally he isn't getting games for whatever reason and people are BEGGING for him to come back! Footy is a fickle game!

I think the coaching staff have done a great job with the side and our ball movement has improved out of sight. The next step is to get the forward line functioning in sync with the midfield. Also think the wider ground next season will be beneficial to us.

Likely to be wet. Tabs has spudded it up in the wet.

Agree with this but he did have a good WAFL game in the wet last weekend.

But on the other hand WAFL is miles away from AFL, seems we keep on going round and round.

Too good for WAFL and not consistent enough to nail an AFL place, that's the current position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back