Home & Garden Charlie Sheen

Remove this Banner Ad

cur1.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of my favourite television shows is Californication. People might see that as ironic, considering some of the things the main character gets up to, but Hank Moody's behaviour is also balanced out by the harsh reality of "the morning after", as well as him dealing with the consequences of his past actions. Some posters in the thread about the show on the Media & Entertainment board seem to dislike these elements (particularly the constant on again/off again relationship between Hank and Karen), possibly because they just want the show to only be about the decadent lulz, I don't know.

Anyway, the thing is (and this is something I think posters like nicky realise) that it's likely not all just beer and skittles for guys like Sheen. Behind the seemingly endless "good times" ("good times" that he likely barely has any memory of, by the way) and continuous partying, there's likely a lot of hurt, anger, resentment and regret over a number of issues, both "before" and "after" the drugs (blocked out by and caused by). It could be any number of issues - the pressure of living up to/following in his famous father's footsteps, personal relationships, things that have gone on outside of the public eye, anything - but I doubt that deep down Sheen is truly happy with his life and where he's at right now, and likely disappears into a haze of drugs, alcohol and women so frequently to escape dealing with the real problems inside his head.

When the money stops coming in, Sheen will find out who his true friends are. If it all went wrong, and he was in real trouble and looked like losing it all, would he have any true friends who'd help him purely out of the goodness of their heart, that wasn't obliged to or considering their own interests too (eg. like an agent) in some way? I have my doubts.

Basically, he's just on a futile spiral into oblivion that ultimately results in nothingness. He inspires pity and needs help, rather than deserving praise or constant enablement. Sad thing is, he's burnt that many bridges that it's likely that nobody genuinely cares enough about him as a person anymore to reach out and help him.

Californication was a much superior show with a "Main character gets ****ed up and has sex" premise. And unlike Two and a Half Men it actually was funny.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back