Player Watch Chris Mayne (Retired 2021)

Remove this Banner Ad

For the first year at least.. he will get a game in the 22 regardless. That's how these things work. You don't recruit a guy on $500K per year to play VFL. If his form is poor, he won't be dropped till sometime in 2018... regardless. This is based on simple anthropological studies that show that (surprisingly) decision makers have very strong self preservation instincts and don't like drawing attention to their errors... and will do everything possible to hide them or divert attention from them for as long as possible.... at least until the relevance has subsided.

I think he will be good for us for a few years though; so hopefully it's a moot point... or, if not, hopefully we break the mold and put the club first and have the guts to play him in the VFL on $500K a year if it comes to it.
We played Cloke for 800k in the VFL. I would like to think Mayne is part safety net for Blair when he leaves. Either this or next year.

We played Cloke for 800k in the VFL. I would like to think Mayne is part safety net for Blair when he leaves. Either this or next year.
Cloke was a very different story though wasn't he. He wasn't brought into the club and playing his first season on big money. Playing him in the VFL had no ramifications for our decision makers so far into his contract.

Cloke was a very different story though wasn't he. He wasn't brought into the club and playing his first season on big money. Playing him in the VFL had no ramifications for our decision makers so far into his contract.
Agreed. Just highlighting that the club is not unwilling to put performance before paygrade when making selections for the senior team.

For the first year at least.. he will get a game in the 22 regardless. That's how these things work. You don't recruit a guy on $500K per year to play VFL. If his form is poor, he won't be dropped till sometime in 2018... regardless. This is based on simple anthropological studies that show that (surprisingly) decision makers have very strong self preservation instincts and don't like drawing attention to their errors... and will do everything possible to hide them or divert attention from them for as long as possible.... at least until the relevance has subsided.

I think he will be good for us for a few years though; so hopefully it's a moot point... or, if not, hopefully we break the mold and put the club first and have the guts to play him in the VFL on $500K a year if it comes to it.
lol he's not on $500k.

lol he's not on $500k.
So you keep saying.. been through this.. we have to pay out 95% of our cap.. Cloke, Toovey, Macaffer, Swan, Brown, Witts, Frost, Williams.. gone.... Wells and Mayne and some draftees in. You do the math.

So you keep saying.. been through this.. we have to pay out 95% of our cap.. Cloke, Toovey, Macaffer, Swan, Brown, Witts, Frost, Williams.. gone.... Wells and Mayne and some draftees in. You do the math.
You know other players contracts can be altered to be front loaded to make up TPP's right? And new players can too?

Using the salary cap minimum payments as justification for Maynes salary being the supposed $500k you say it is, is nonsensical. There are plenty of other ways to bump up TPP's if necessary, with the added benefit of freeing up extra money in the future for other recruits.

I was in a fortunate position of discussing the Mayne acquisition with someone at Collingwood and the reasoning behind getting him was because, believe it or not I don't care, he is a very good leader and on field coach. Someone who can guide our young forward line to work with some semblance of organization.
A potential Maxwell for the forward half of the ground.

I was in a fortunate position of discussing the Mayne acquisition with someone at Collingwood and the reasoning behind getting him was because, believe it or not I don't care, he is a very good leader and on field coach. Someone who can guide our young forward line to work with some semblance of organization.
Interesting. I wonder if Steve Grace put a good word in for him.

So that's how he earnt 500k

Half of it his coaching salary. Makes sense now

You know other players contracts can be altered to be front loaded to make up TPP's right? And new players can too?

Using the salary cap minimum payments as justification for Maynes salary being the supposed $500k you say it is, is nonsensical. There are plenty of other ways to bump up TPP's if necessary, with the added benefit of freeing up extra money in the future for other recruits.
So you agree that Mayne is likely to be having his contract front loaded and will be on at least $500k next year. Hence the real point of my post.. "we won't be playing a guy we just recruited on $500K a year in the VFL next year." Forgive me $50K either way will you!

You have also provided another reason why the club may be paying such overs for him... ie. we have back scratched Freo to bump up their compensation in expectation of something in return. So not sure what you are arguing about.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you agree that Mayne is likely to be having his contract front loaded and will be on at least $500k next year. Hence the real point of my post.. "we won't be playing a guy we just recruited on $500K a year in the VFL next year." Forgive me $50K either way will you!

You have also provided another reason why the club may be paying such overs for him... ie. we have back scratched Freo to bump up their compensation in expectation of something in return. So not sure what you are arguing about.
Come on Doodles, you've gone from saying $500k per year to $500k in his first year, which is a big difference. $400k for 4 years would yield band 3 compo, so why would the club offer any more than that? If it's truly a backscratching excercise as I've speculated then the most likely scenario is that we're paying him the $400k per year just to make it over that threshold. Theres no sense in the claims we're paying him $500k per year.

And if we're paying him that, then $500k in his first year and $370~k for the next 3 is surely palatable for the fans isn't it?

Come on Doodles, you've gone from saying $500k per year to $500k in his first year, which is a big difference. $400k for 4 years would yield band 3 compo, so why would the club offer any more than that? If it's truly a backscratching excercise as I've speculated then the most likely scenario is that we're paying him the $400k per year just to make it over that threshold. Theres no sense in the claims we're paying him $500k per year.

And if we're paying him that, then $500k in his first year and $370~k for the next 3 is surely palatable for the fans isn't it?
It was at the top end of band 3 compo wasn't it!! $500k is the widely reported figure by media. Most of these reporters are very well connected. No offense but do I believe you or do I believe what the compo suggests and what is being reported? People seem to be scratching their heads about it.. including us.. your theory about it being linked to something in the pipeline with Freo has hit the mark in my view. So perhaps the $500k being reported is on the money.

It was at the top end of band 3 compo wasn't it!! $500k is the widely reported figure by media. Most of these reporters are very well connected. No offense but do I believe you or do I believe what the compo suggests and what is being reported? People seem to be scratching their heads about it.. including us.. your theory about it being linked to something in the pipeline with Freo has hit the mark in my view. So perhaps the $500k being reported is on the money.
Are you saying we are getting Fyfe?? :eek:

Given we're on a football forum and the culture of our playing group is at an all time low ebb, despite previous efforts to instill better norms, I fail to see the relevance. For instance by all reports Greenwood is a ripper, but his recruitment has fallen flat because he can't get it done on field.

Mayne won't be judged on his character, but what he does on the field so the context provided by the article isn't value adding to the thread, IMO. Just like comparing his deals to other free agents. Why don't we judge the deal and Mayne's recruitment on its own merits...

If one of the weaknesses of the club is its culture; wouldn't bringing in players of good character be a positive thing and relevant?

The top end? Ive seen nothing saying 'the top end' of band 3 compo, just that it was band 3. And I've seen varying reports of the value of his contract, with most of the ones saying $500k having that wonderful little disclaimer that people overlook before the number, of 'up to'. There have been plenty of reports of $450k and some of $400k too like what Dave linked. Remember though, we are Collingwood and us paying 'up to' $500k per year to a player like Mayne makes a much better headline than $400k per year with year 1 front loaded.

Keep in mind that it was reported that Wells' 500k per year for 3 years was widely speculated in the media to have been diluted down from band 2 comps because of his age, yet Maynes supposed $500k for 4 years is simply the top end of band 3? Please....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back