Toast Chris Mayne's a Legend. Re-signed until 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

If he could kick over a jam-tim we'd have played off for a Premiership.

I'm sure its borderline minimum wage.
And if others had played to the maximum of their ability as Mayne did in the 2018 GF we’d have won the flag that season.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood

mike123

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Pokemon is Life
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
I reckon that's what they've done but I doubt they wouldn't sweeten the deal, even if by only a couple of hundred $K and/or even skewed it to next year if they face a big payout to Beams from this years TPP.
Otherwise he’d essentially be working for free next year.

Oct 7, 2001
In the Pocket Rocket, lights ablaze!
AFL Club
Collingwood
Pity we will lose him when his playing career is over. Appears he is launching towards being a senior coach one day.
"One day we will all be back together again [in Perth] where they can see the kids grow and be a part of it all," Mayne says.

"We had a discussion about pursuing another year or do we want to go back home?
But I am craving it [a premiership]. I want it really bad."

domin8tors

Club Legend
Jun 23, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
The Hun reported it's a legitimate extension rather than spreading his money over two years.
better that way any way. Our cap squeeze is next year and beyond so no point shifting his pay to next year
Or
The 2 things aren't mutually exclusive.
makes no sense to pay over two years, our salary cap issues are next year and beyond so if anything id forward pay him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While l don’t think he is a legend, he gives it all every game on a limited skill set, plays with in it.
I do think he is a great clubman and deserves an extra year.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
makes no sense to pay over two years, our salary cap issues are next year and beyond so if anything id forward pay him

Actually it makes very good sense.

Firstly, he's on a reported $500k this year before re-signing. If he's signs for an extra year and it costs us an extra couple of hundred $k then we can reduce the annual amount to (say) $350k per year freeing up $150k into the salary cap.

Secondly, what we save doing this and something similar with Pendles will likely save the extra $$$'s we will need to make the Beams payout this year without overstepping the TPP in 2020. That extra cash will then flow into 2021 and can be added to the money we'd already budgeted for Beams giving us an additional $600-750k (for arguments sake) toward the retention of Moore and JDG. Add that several like Varcoe, Dunn, and Reid are more likely than not to depart and we've freed up their salary as well, would mean we're as well positioned as we could possibly be.

AndrewShawble

Premiership Player
Sep 10, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Fair to say most people were wrong about him

There was an article on the weekend around how he helps the younger players with game reviews, chopping up footage etc.
you can't have enough of these types of players at a club, good citizens who care about the collective.

I hope the last couple of years start to set a real precedent - Mayne, Roughead, Mihocek etc- bringing in good people to the club, and we learn that no matter how talented the Beams' of the world are, they aren't worth it.

Still too soon.

Don't think I'll ever truly get over that day.
This. Too soon.
e762ea2d37026e8805e42a21d220a4ba.jpg

AndrewShawble

Premiership Player
Sep 10, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
If Langdon could rush a behind we'd have another premiership.

this. I know it sounds harsh - and it’s not fair - but I remember that moment and it’s always stuck in my mind as the turning point of that game. That settled them.

I know he played amazingly afterwards and you can’t blame one player, like a butterfly effect it just seemed to be the moment that kick started their confidence. They were so spooked before that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back