Teams Cincinnati Bengals - Who Dey

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Palmer ties Manning record

Or a Bears fan having to watch three makeshift QBs a year. It's pretty sad when Kyle Orton, a rookie, is your most consistent and productive passer in years.

Could be worse DonAce, you could be watching the same QB making the same mistakes week after week, season after season. At least with change there's hope. :(

This will be one week I won't enjoy watching the Bears D. It will be ugly (for us).

Brooks' biggest problem is he plays dumb, hence the high amount of INTs he throws, if he smartened up he'd be okay. You guys need to not win another game, hope the Packers win, and get Leinart. Or we could trade you Grossman. :p

I'm worried about the NO game, i'm not sure why, but it's just a feeling. Maybe it's just the lofty heights of the Bears going for their fourth straight win. :eek: :eek: All indicators point to a Bear win though, but away from home who knows. To be fair though, no team can win away from their real home every week, you’ve had it tough.

On offence it's the Jones/Benson show (av. 123 y/game) coming into town against the 28th ranked run defence. People keep pointing to the defence, but Thomas Jones (Bears MVP at this point) has been damn impressive this year, but I want to see them give Benson more carries, or come playoff time (hopefully) Jones is going to be rooted.

Orton isn't doing too badly. 5 TDs and 1 INT in his last four games, finally hit a few deeper passes against the Lions and is becoming comfortable in the limited scheme Turner has him running. What impresses me most is his calm. He's faced some mean defences this year, and stayed calm except the Bengals game.

He’ll be okay and actually might be a passer of the future, going to be an interesting dilemma once Rex comes back in a month, if Orton keeps winning though, it’s hard to see him being supplanted. He’s connecting well with Moose, and he’s turned Clark into a half-legitimate tight-end (shock), but badly needs a second receiver.

The offensive line (16 sacks in 7 games, compared to 66 in 16 last year) have taken so much pressure off Orton it's insane. Tait has made left tackle his own, Brown/Garza are coping at left guard, Kreutz is a monster as usual, Metcalf is a beast in run protection but weak when passing, and Miller has stabilised the right side.

We’re not going to put up heaps of points on you guys, and if you can stop Jones you’re in with a show, but better defences haven’t done it yet, so it will be interesting.

On defence I think the D-line is ready to monster someone, and I think Brooks might be the unlucky target. They’ve been getting consistent pressure and penetration all year, but haven’t had the sacks to show for it, I really think that in the next few games there’ll be a 5-8 sack day out for the defence.

Urlacher is having a pearler of a year, with the solid play of Briggs and Hillenmeyer letting him bootleg it when he sees a chance. But everyone knew at the start of the year the Bears’ front seven was a strength, and they’ve lived up to that so far. The safeties, Brown and Harris, are also playing well. The weakest unit on the Bears D is the corners.

I’d like a win, but I’m not confident, so don’t rag me too much if the Saints pull it off.

DonAce said:
Or a Bears fan having to watch three makeshift QBs a year. It's pretty sad when Kyle Orton, a rookie, is your most consistent and productive passer in years.

I think Orton is going to be a fine QB with some experience, the guy perfectly fits the Bears offensive system. People were talking about him winning the Heisman in college until he got injured. He might not be a star but he'll be a pretty good player who won't lose you games. He is the kind of QB you can win a superbowl with if you surround him with good players and the Bears have 2 good running backs and a good D. Just need to find some more weapons on offensive. Its a shame Mark Bradley was moved to IR because he was looking like a good player.

Re: Marcuz should pull his head out of his backside

marcuz said:
I agree completely, the point i was making is that because of the fact he can use his feet well means that he avoids pressure better than most. If he hasnt got a great offensive line he has the tools to deal with the pressure better.

I do not rate Palmer at all and i feel the Bengals should trade him to the cowboys as quickly as possible. Tony Romo would look great in a bengals jersey. ;)

Both the steelers and bengals fans dont have to worry about the QB position for the next ten years with two quality young QB's starting. Be glad your not a 'boys fan having to watch makeshift QB's try and play the position every year.

The Steelers make Ben look like a good QB, Palmer makes the Bengals look like a good team.

If the Steelers lost their running game, or their defence crumbled, Ben would be shown up severely. Fine he can scramble, but I'd like to see him win a game in the fourth quarter against good opposition. It just won't happen. His arm strength is average and his ability to beat a team on his passing ability is sub par for an elite QB.

While Palmer might not be as good on his feet, his reading of situations, his arm strength and accuracy, and his ability to work in many more plays than Ben make him a much better QB.

Easy to have a high QB rating when you throw 4 times a quarter and only when it is a foolproof option.

cjwalkley said:
The Steelers make Ben look like a good QB, Palmer makes the Bengals look like a good team.

If the Steelers lost their running game, or their defence crumbled, Ben would be shown up severely. Fine he can scramble, but I'd like to see him win a game in the fourth quarter against good opposition. It just won't happen. His arm strength is average and his ability to beat a team on his passing ability is sub par for an elite QB.

While Palmer might not be as good on his feet, his reading of situations, his arm strength and accuracy, and his ability to work in many more plays than Ben make him a much better QB.

Ben doesnt need to beat a team on his passing ability. He has a decent enough arm and good enough accuracy to do the job for the steelers offense. The steelers run the football thats what they do. You havent seen him win a game off his own arm becuase they havent needed him to. Although i seem to recall him having quite a 4th quarter against the cowboys last year.

cjwalkley said:
Easy to have a high QB rating when you throw 4 times a quarter and only when it is a foolproof option.

Tell that to Kyle Boller.

marcuz said:
Ben doesnt need to beat a team on his passing ability. He has a decent enough arm and good enough accuracy to do the job for the steelers offense. The steelers run the football thats what they do. You havent seen him win a game off his own arm because they havent needed him to. Although i seem to recall him having quite a 4th quarter against the cowboys last year.
Well said Marcuz. Thanx for stating that pivotal game. ;)

I reckon that the whole appreciation for certain QB styles has come down to comparing apples with oranges. John Elway engineered 'comeback games' vs mediocre teams also but when BIG BEN does it, (like the Cowboys win last season), certain individuals here don't think it rates as a quality comeback. :rolleyes:

Oh well, BIG BEN is doing enough to help the Steelers WIN and whether it's against shoddy opposition that play well or not, it's the 'temperament of his game' that sits above many other in this league and I'm sure the Bengal army on BF will hopefully one day 'realise that TEMPERAMENT is a highly valuable quality' over having an arm when the 'real pressure is on'. :p

Woodson said:
Oh well, BIG BEN is doing enough to help the Steelers WIN and whether it's against shoddy opposition that play well or not, it's the 'temperament of his game' that sits above many other in this league and I'm sure the Bengal army on BF will hopefully one day 'realise that TEMPERAMENT is a highly valuable quality' over having an arm when the 'real pressure is on'. :p

That pretty much is the crux of my argument. The Steelers QB does exactly what is required to make the Steelers the benchmark in the AFC North, he is played well within his physical restrictions. The Bengals at the moment can only attempt to raise themselves to that level, but that is due mainly to deficiencies defending the run.

Roethlisberger would struggle in 95% of the teams in the NFL because he would need to be the offensive leader and the catalyst for scoring. He just does not have the tools. Palmer has the tools, the temperament, and hopefully the basis of the team around him to be a superstar in the NFL.

In the future Palmer could well be a HOF'er, but there is every chance Roethlisberger will have more Super Bowl rings. That doesn't make Roethlisberger a good QB, however as a Steelers fan I'd rather the successful team.

cjwalkley said:
That pretty much is the crux of my argument. The Steelers QB does exactly what is required to make the Steelers the benchmark in the AFC North, he is played well within his physical restrictions. The Bengals at the moment can only attempt to raise themselves to that level, but that is due mainly to deficiencies defending the run.

Roethlisberger would struggle in 95% of the teams in the NFL because he would need to be the offensive leader and the catalyst for scoring. He just does not have the tools. Palmer has the tools, the temperament, and hopefully the basis of the team around him to be a superstar in the NFL.

In the future Palmer could well be a HOF'er, but there is every chance Roethlisberger will have more Super Bowl rings. That doesn't make Roethlisberger a good QB, however as a Steelers fan I'd rather the successful team.

I agree with you on Palmer but i think your selling Ben a little short. He is a good quarterback. He will never be an Elway, Marino, Young , Manning etc but he has talent and does the job for his team. He is still only 22 and will improve.

Dud QB's dont win superbowls, Montana had an average arm and was an average athlete but he was smart, tough and was a winner. That in itself made him a good QB. Sometimes we get caught up with numbers but as peyton mannning has shown numbers mean jack if you cant land the big prize.

Re: Bengal BF boyz should pull thier heads in

cjwalkley said:
Roethlisberger would struggle in 95% of the teams in the NFL because he would need to be the offensive leader and the catalyst for scoring. He just does not have the tools.

That's just where the confluence of our discussion starts and ends. :D I don't agree with the second part (about leadership) and further to the point, for one to 'not have the tools' but the number of 19-2 starting record for Big BEN makes you look SILLY !! (ps> Hines Ward goes to Pro Bowl last season from who's arm???????) :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bengals QB Palmer becomes highest paid player in NFL history

Bengals probowl QB Carson Palmer has signed a new 9 year deal through to 2014 worth 118 million dollars, exceding Michael Vick's record 9 year 110 million dollar contract.

AFL players make chicken-feed compared to these guys. :cool:

Re: Bengals QB Palmer becomes highest paid player in NFL history

PALMER GETS PAID

The Cincinnati Bengals have extended the contract of quarterback Carson Palmer by six years. We're told that the new money on the deal is $98 million, with an average of $16 million per year. Between the bonus money and the salaries from 2009 through 2014, however, we're presently calculating new money of only (only?) $97 million over six years.

For starters, Palmer earns a $15 million roster bonus on December 31. The money gets paid on February 16, 2006, and $3 million of it counts against the 2005 salary cap.

The deal also includes a $9 million option bonus to be exercised in 2006, which will trigger years 2007 through 2014.

Under the new deal, Palmer will make $9.5 million for 2009. In 2010, he'll get $10.5 million in salary. In 2011, he'll earn $11.5 million. In 2012, he gets $11.5 million in salary and a $1 million roster bonus. In 2013, Palmer earns $13.0 million in salary and a $1 million roster bonus. In 2014, he gets $14 million in salary and a $1 million roster bonus.

The deal also includes higher base salaries for 2006 through 2008, but our guess is that the new base salaries reflect his prior paragraph 5 salaries plus the escalators he has triggered, resulting in little or no new money.

In all, the deal compares favorably to Michael Vick's contract, which pays a total of $110 million over nine seasons. Palmer will, in the end, receive $118.75 million from 2006 through 2014.

The deal is lacking, however, in the area of guaranteed money. Palmer gets $24 million in bonus money, with the $9 million option payment virtually certain to be exercised. In contrast, Peyton Manning got $34.5 million in bonus money in 2004.

So Palmer trails Manning by $10.5 million in bonus money, and over the first seven years he trails Manning by more than $8 million.

Even though Palmer's salaries aren't guaranteed, it's unlikely that he'll be released in 2006 or 2007, barring a major injury or a sudden and dramatic drop in his performance. Thus, he's looking at a total of $38 million over the next two years in football income. The three-year value of the deal is $45.75 million.

But the new salaries kick in from 2009 through 2014, when the market generally will be higher for everyone and, in hindsight, these numbers might not look so good.

Don't get us wrong. It's definitely a very good deal, but some league insiders already are saying that it's not the kind of bar-raising contract that a premier player like Carson Palmer merits.

Re: DUMB contracts

Some ppl will never learn. Matter of time as these DUMB contracts will only cripple clubs in the long run and make one player and his GREEDY agent the only winners . OMG What if Palmer gets hurt, out on IR and the Bungals splutter??? what then ??? (hope he doesn't but look at the REALITY of the whole thing)

:rolleyes:

:thumbsdown:

Not even the greatest players that have accomplished REAL achievements warrant these stupid contracts.

And the timing is also OVER THE TOP !!

One thing I REALLY HATE about NFL / Int Soccer. The OVERPAID contracts.
If you have money, you reward the TEAM after it ACHIEVES as a TEAM to win the CHAMPIONSHIP. What a F'd world we live in.

Woodson said:
Some ppl will never learn. Matter of time as these DUMB contracts will only cripple clubs in the long run and make one player and his GREEDY agent the only winners . OMG What if Palmer gets hurt, out on IR and the Bungals splutter??? what then ??? (hope he doesn't but look at the REALITY of the whole thing)

:rolleyes:

:thumbsdown:

Not even the greatest players that have accomplished REAL achievements warrant these stupid contracts.

And the timing is also OVER THE TOP !!

One thing I REALLY HATE about NFL / Int Soccer. The OVERPAID contracts.
If you have money, you reward the TEAM after it ACHIEVES as a TEAM to win the CHAMPIONSHIP. What a F'd world we live in.

Your just upset because its only a matter of time before Worthlessburger is asking for his pound of flesh and his 100-million dollar contract. Difference is a probowl QB like Palmer is worth every penny while a player like Worthlessburger isn't fit to carry Palmer's jockstrap.

Stupid deal, but thats without seeing the contract, if it has conditions that comes in to affect if an injury or similar occurs then its ok i guess.

But to sign a 9 year deal... i reckon is over the top, 9 years is a hell of a long time

...I'd love to see the response if he failed in the playoffs

coasting said:
Your just upset because its only a matter of time before Worthlessburger is asking for his pound of flesh and his 100-million dollar contract. Difference is a probowl QB like Palmer is worth every penny while a player like Worthlessburger isn't fit to carry Palmer's jockstrap.

Dude I don't care if the guy is the hybrid son of Sanders and Payton no man is worth that money.

FFS I have some guys in the NFL that I absolutely love but no man is worth that.

When you consider some of the best doctors in the world earn as much in a year as these guys do in a couple of weeks its effin ridiculous.

I like Palmer but he and the Bengals should be ashamed of themselves.

kirky said:
Just interested - how many Superbowls has he won for his club?

How many has Peyton Manning won? How many did Dan Marino win? Do you think that good players shouldn't be paid what they are worth because their team didn't win a superbowl? Do you think Chris Judd or Nick Riewoldt should not be paid lots of money because they didn't lead their team to a flag?

coasting said:
How many has Peyton Manning won? How many did Dan Marino win? Do you think that good players shouldn't be paid what they are worth because their team didn't win a superbowl? Do you think Chris Judd or Nick Riewoldt should not be paid lots of money because they didn't lead their team to a flag?

This kid is in his third season. I don't blame him for taking the money but their is something seriously wrong with sport when you get paid a sh**itload of money and yet haven't achieved/delivered anything! The clubs have to take as much blame as anyone and thats the problem with having enormous TV rights. Afterall, this is a team sport not an a individual sport. Not much good having a great QB if you have below par players around you.

PS: The highest paid QB in NFL today should be Tom Brady afterall he has delivered 3 Superbowls to the NEP!

kirky said:
This kid is in his third season. I don't blame him for taking the money but their is something seriously wrong with sport when you get paid a sh**itload of money and yet haven't achieved/delivered anything! The clubs have to take as much blame as anyone and thats the problem with having enormous TV rights. Afterall, this is a team sport not an a individual sport. Not much good having a great QB if you have below par players around you.

PS: The highest paid QB in NFL today should be Tom Brady afterall he has delivered 3 Superbowls to the NEP!

What a load of crap, he lead his team to a division title which is no more/less than Peyton Manning did when he got his mega deal. What year he is in is irrelevant, he is 26 years old. I get sick and tired of people saying Tom Brady is the best QB in the league. He isn't. Just because you have a great team doesn't make you the best QB in the league. Same thing went with Worthlessburger last year. You might not like it or agree with it but Carson Palmer is better than Tom Brady. He might not have his big game experience yet but that will come.

coasting said:
What a load of crap, he lead his team to a division title which is no more/less than Peyton Manning did when he got his mega deal. What year he is in is irrelevant, he is 26 years old. I get sick and tired of people saying Tom Brady is the best QB in the league. He isn't. Just because you have a great team doesn't make you the best QB in the league. Same thing went with Worthlessburger last year. You might not like it or agree with it but Carson Palmer is better than Tom Brady. He might not have his big game experience yet but that will come.

Well you would know. Not much more than you can do but be 3 from 3 in the Superbowl - after all isn't that what the holy grail is in the NFL. Are you are individual or a team player?

We shall see what he becomes but I agree with one thing, he is laughing all the way to the bank.

coasting said:
You might not like it or agree with it but Carson Palmer is better than Tom Brady.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

You’re right. I don’t agree with you. And if you surveyed all 32 NFL GMs, they wouldn’t either. If you want to argue that Peyton Manning is better than Tom Brady, at least that’s an argument. But Carson Palmer, sorry, that’s not. Tom Brady has won 3 Superbowls in 3 chances. He's 9-0 in the playoffs. He’s never lost in overtime. He's 15-0 in games 35f degrees or under. What exactly has Carson Palmer done in a game that meant anything. I think it’s hilarious that Bengals fans have one good (regular) season, and immediately start throwing stones at Pitt and NE. Win a playoff game, then we’ll talk. If Carson Palmer was so good, why is he an underdog in a home playoff game. Meanwhile, the Pats are a touchdown favorite against a team with 2 more wins than them.

Although I don’t blame Palmer for taking the money. I would too if I played for a joke of a franchise like Cinci. Brady doesn’t have a huge contract because he left money on the table so he wouldn’t kill the Pats cap. He just wants to win, he knows the real money comes in endorsements and in the glory of being a Champion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back