Opinion Climate change

Remove this Banner Ad

The Wilsons River has left a trail of destruction, inundating all of Lismore, leaving hundreds stranded on top their roofs.
The area has recorded around 700mm in the space of 24 hours resulting in a significant river rise, currently at 13.5m.

700mm in 24 hours, jesus christ. my cousin's place flooded with about 5 foot of water through the downstairs. furniture floating down the road.

274459372_5582498828444245_2345548682071794228_n.jpg
This is crazy....

if anyone is seriously interested in climate change but wants a fairly non-depressing read, i thoroughly recommend 'Tree Story'

Tree Story | Hopkins Press

it's all about dendrochronology but written in a pretty fascinating way. it's amazing what trees can tell us about past climate, but also wildfire history, droughts, volanic eruptions, etc.

the paleoclimate record written in tree rings makes climate change utterly, completely indisputable. let alone when you combine it with other past climate proxies like ice and sediment cores, coral, stalagmites, etc.

some very cool and interesting stuff about the jetstreams, ENSO and the NAO as well. honestly i avoid reading a lot of climate change stuff because it's just too depressing, but this one avoids really ramming the worst of it in your face. the implications are still there of course, but there's a bit of positivity mixed in which is good.

Anyone interested in stats of climate change will find interest in the following website:

Anyone going to the home page of this site can access the above by tapping the "Interactive" tab.

Totally unbiased site. You get out what you put in. Up to you to interpret.

Lol. Just the 16 mm for the month here.

Probably a couple weeks away from another driest month on record. The backyard is starting to get cracks in it.
2.07 for ultimate today.

Probably diluted with water than got in to the tanks.

Actually it was just measured at 140mm

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Shouldn't laugh though.

Someone actually drowned in the rain here yesterday. Sucked in to a stormwater drain.

Somebody dying in the flood in Broken Hill is not something I thought I'd ever hear.

Last edited:
Shouldn't laugh though.

Someone actually drowned in the rain here yesterday. Sucked in to a stormwater drain.

Somebody dying in the flood in Broken Hill is not something I thought I'd ever here.

What's the average rainfall there for the year? Be around 250 wouldn't it? You guys would be well past that already

What's the average rainfall there for the year? Be around 250 wouldn't it? You guys would be well past that already

Yep around that and yep, past it.

Don't worry I got selected for Mad Max today so we'll probably get some more biblical rain between now and then.

https://www.news.com.au/technology/...s/news-story/66b28bc3e55649b4fc0a0ce4cbb02d62

Uhhh.. is it good that both poles are 30-40 degrees above average temperature, despite being in opposing seasons?
🥴

Of course it isn't, but

The freakish heat is believed to be a random weather event.

It has not been linked to climate change, according to meteorologist Matthew Lazzara and Dr Meier. But if the event is repeated, it would be a major concern and could be an indicator of climate change, they told NBC News.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of course it isn't, but

I get it, but, it's controversial for scientists to link a single event to climate change, unless they can definitively prove it. So they won't usually for example saying oh the east coast flooding this year is cos of climate change. Even though it's pretty obvious when you keep racking up natural disaster after natural disaster annually.

It could be 100% random, but on balance of probabilities I'd wager the freaky weather and atmospheric warming has something to do with it.

I get it, but, it's controversial for scientists to link a single event to climate change, unless they can definitively prove it. So they won't usually for example saying oh the east coast flooding this year is cos of climate change. Even though it's pretty obvious when you keep racking up natural disaster after natural disaster annually.

It could be 100% random, but on balance of probabilities I'd wager the freaky weather and atmospheric warming has something to do with it.

At risk of asking a stupid question, at what point do below freezing temperatures become... ineffective?

Is that that much difference to the poles of a difference between -50 and -20?

Something to do with the lower melting freezing temperature of salt water?

I don't know.

At risk of asking a stupid question, at what point do below freezing temperatures become... ineffective?

Is that that much difference to the poles of a difference between -50 and -20?

Something to do with the lower melting freezing temperature of salt water?

I don't know.

this doesn't quite answer your question but explains it a bit. i believe it's to do with the ice melting from underneath, which doesn't necessarily require temperatures above 0 obviously, but more to do with the interaction with sea water.

Extreme Melt on Antarctica’s George VI Ice Shelf | Landsat Science
this one here refers to temperatures above freezing being the main catalyst. which will happen more when there are these weird extreme temperature fluctuations.

not a very good answer, but it's past my bedtime.

overall i guess we're less concerned about antarctica than the arctic currently because it's freakin huge and has an enormous landmass, which will help it stay cold. long term as if we're looking 100-200+ years then yeah it's a huge problem.

i haven't read much on it for a few years, but the more imminent threat was the melting of the greenland ice sheets which is more likely within our lifetimes.

Sydney about to exceed it's annual rainfall one week into April.

Meanwhile over here in western Tas, since December last year we have received around 45% of average rainfall, which is kind of unheard of.

In completely unrelated news, the IPCC has issued its latest round of fire warnings to world leaders to stop completely ******* the planet that your children and grandchildren are expected to inherit.

If you pay attention to the auto industry for any length of time—or even spend some time simply car-spotting as you sit in traffic—you'll have noticed an obvious truth about modern cars: They're big, and they keep getting bigger. This isn't misplaced nostalgia or confirmation bias, either, because it's definitively true that vehicles have swelled in size in recent decades. Trucks and crossovers are more popular than ever, with light trucks outselling cars three to one. There are some obvious explanations for the steady growth in vehicle size, of course: taller people, stricter safety standards that demand stronger vehicles, more powerful engines that can make weight less of a concern. But these trends work on a scale of generations, not years; they're insufficient to explain just how quickly crossovers have dominated the landscape and why cars have gotten larger.

However, there is one counterintuitive explanation for ever-larger cars with every passing model year: Fuel economy regulations.

Our regulatory environment, as you'll soon see, is intended to encourage manufacturers to build small, fuel-efficient vehicles. But despite the governmental push for more efficient, eco-friendly cars, the actual data does not lie: Modern cars are growing at a rate that seems untenable.

We need to take responsibility for half the theoretical carbon emissions generated by coal and gas that we export.
We are guilty of supplying, they are guilty of receiving.
That responsibility can then be passed on to the multinationals plundering these resources. And monitoring how they are resolving the problem.
This will go down well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back