Opinion Cloke Megathread 2 - Plan B's, Contract Talks on hold till end of season

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure we can. But we have already given him our final offer. Why would we increase it to match Carlton or any other team. If we were prepared to do that we'd do it now and end all this.
I know we won't but the point is we can. So he can't have signed a contract or even agreed to go because ultimately we have the final say.

I know we won't but the point is we can. So he can't have signed a contract or even agreed to go because ultimately we have the final say.
400k over a 3yr contract, final offer. Actually, I'd rather he go and see what we can get in the trade/draft period. (NO! I do not mean trade Trav, because we cannot)

Smart move by the club to put things on hold til the end of the season.

The longer we hold knowing we can near on match an offer the better... Imagine being Freo or Melbourne and holding back a million plus in the salary cap only to find they dont get Cloke. Collingwood hold the trump card here.

Go Pies

Yes we do need to know the exact figures, that's the whole point of TPP.
Can you tell me what each player is earning?
What we offered Cloke?
What Cloke wanted?

No?

We might not have exact figures of each player's salary but we do know that Collingwood is having difficulty squeezing everyone in without exhausting available funds. We know this because of what occured last year with Davis, Macaffer and Toovey. Since then Pendlebury, Swan, Reid(?), Thomas and Ball have all signed new contracts for what we can safely assume are increased payments. We don't know 100% but can rationally deduce from statements made by Bux and Eddie that Cloke's financial demands exceed the club's ability to pay.

We know Cloke wants a 5 yr contract and that the club does not want to give him this time span. As to what Cloke has been offered, a figure constantly cited is $750000, with perhaps an extra $150000 from other sources. We don't know that these figures are completely accurate, but the first amount seems about right. Cloke was supposed to be on $450000, and if he has been offered $1.1m a year for 5 years, $750000 to stay at the Pies would have to be about the least he might accept.

Admittedly there can be no 100% certainty, but humans have been given highly functioning brains and many of us are keen to use this cerebral gift to try to analyse situations and draw conclusions from the evidence available to us. There are limits to the validity of our conclusions, but not regarding salary cap pressures at Collingwood Football Club. Rumours such as Cloke has signed with Carlton or that he has told or others have told people that he will not be at the club next year are simply rumours until proven otherwise. However, there are no shortage of people certain of their sources willing to put their necks on the line by offering up their claims to public scrutiny and ridicule.

You ask for a level of objective certainty which is simply not available in this instance. We cannot be certain whether Cloke will stay or go. However, the truth is to be found somewhere amidst the information, claims and rumours that the Cloke saga has generated. Humans are a curious and intelligent species, who cannot help but want to uncover the truth behind a situation such as this, which gnaws at the heart of all Collingwood supporters.

Dane Swan is being his usual cheeky self;

:p
Swanny is one funny guy; he was actually responding directly to Sheedy....if you did not get it! (I did not mean you Matty ;))

A lot of anger and baying for blood on this thread concerning Trav,don't get me wrong I understand all of it.

But he still is a Collingwood player,if he does stay(I think he will)will you all turn up and admit you were wrong?
I'll put this to you,If he was having a year like the last year would there be so much anger directed towards him?At the end of 2010 we had this same debacle to a smaller extent and we all knew this could happen again.

It's fine for people to bring up his stats now everyone thinks he is gone,but if he had signed a couple of months ago would they have been brought up by Collingwood supporters at all?

I doubt it.

Sportnewsfirst have reported that Cloke has rejected the Fremantle offer.

Was well known he wouldn't leave Melb, and chances are he wont leave the pies he has so much personal history with the club been involved since he was a teenager and won a flag.

I'll lay off making any rash calls till after he does or doesn't sign, but he does needs to extract the digit form wise.

Was well known he wouldn't leave Melb, and chances are he wont leave the pies he has so much personal history with the club been involved since he was a teenager and won a flag.

I'll lay off making any rash calls till after he does or doesn't sign, but he does needs to extract the digit form wise.
wake up mate, he is off to Carlscum

Everyone is just holding on to hope......get over it hes gone to carlton.
Move on, some of you are ridiculous.
At the end of the day ,do you want a bloke like that playing for your club?

Hes gone ....get over it. Geez.

Lol you're ridiculous.

Like most so called Collingwood supporters on here.

Punching at shadows to say the least.

I'm not holding onto any hope, would rather see him go, but hey, before you judge, Trav was one of my fav player's. But his demands do not meet his performance levels. He is a better CHF than a goal kicker. So therefore he and his management are deluded blackmailer's as far as I'm concerned.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geez what is it with the Carlton crap he won't be going there!

They've been hard pressed signing Gibbs (still not signed), Murphy, Yarran and Kruezer this year they don't have a million dollars laying around to offer opposition players. Talk all the rumors you like, but he won't be at Carlton next year it's not even logical to suggest it.

You don't hold back that sort of money in order to sign someone from the outside when you're finding it so difficult to sign your own.

A lot of anger and baying for blood on this thread concerning Trav,don't get me wrong I understand all of it.

But he still is a Collingwood player,if he does stay(I think he will)will you all turn up and admit you were wrong?
I'll put this to you,If he was having a year like the last year would there be so much anger directed towards him?At the end of 2010 we had this same debacle to a smaller extent and we all knew this could happen again.

It's fine for people to bring up his stats now everyone thinks he is gone,but if he had signed a couple of months ago would they have been brought up by Collingwood supporters at all?

I doubt it.

Wrong about what? If he signs at the clubs original terms he should have just done it earlier without all the controversy. If the club buckles to his terms I will be very disappointed. He will never be deserving of equal salary of the likes of Swan & Pendlebury.

It's fine for people to bring up his stats now everyone thinks he is gone, but if he had signed a couple of months ago would they have been brought up by Collingwood supporters at all?

I doubt it.

The stats I brought up in an earlier post have nought to do with Cloke's coming or going. Zero.

That, out of the group of seven of his positional peers (Buddy, Pavlich, Brown, Riewoldt (x2), Podsiadly, Roughead) as well as the tip-rat (Milne), over his entire career Cloke ranks ninth of nine in:

• average goals per match
  • career accuracy
  • bags of 5+ goals
  • frequency of 5+ bags

Has absolutley nothing to do with this ongoing contract saga, it's a cold hard look at his (somewhat underwhelming) career figures.

The other stats I introduced (that the only players Cloke was on a par with over the last month were: LRT, Everitt, Koschitzke, Warnock, River, Lobbe and Pyke) spoke of his recent poor form.

What I introduced to the thread was factual and had nothing to do with whether or not he has signed, whether or not he is gone. I was merely using stats (both recent and career) to question why I thought it was folly what Travis (whether it be himself or by Daddy's doing) has put the club through this year.

Wrong about what? If he signs at the clubs original terms he should have just done it earlier without all the controversy. If the club buckles to his terms I will be very disappointed. He will never be deserving of equal salary of the likes of Swan & Pendlebury.
If he does eventually sign,Will you be one that comes on here and admit you were wrong?

It's funny you say that Swan and Pendles are more deserving(they most probably are),when most football experts have been saying for the last 2 years that Trav is our most important player.

The stats I brought up in an earlier post have nought to do with Cloke's coming or going. Zero.

That, out of the group of seven of his positional peers (Buddy, Pavlich, Brown, Riewoldt (x2), Podsiadly, Roughead) as well as the tip-rat (Milne), over his entire career Cloke ranks ninth of nine in:

• career accuracy
  • bags of 5+ goals
  • frequency of 5+ bags

Has absolutley nothing to do with this ongoing contract saga, it's a cold hard look at his (somewhat underwhelming) career figures.

The other stats I introduced (that the only players Cloke was on a par with over the last month were: LRT, Everitt, Koschitzke, Warnock, River, Lobbe and Pyke) spoke of his recent poor form.

What I introduced to the thread was factual and had nothing to do with whether or not he has signed, whether or not he is gone. I was merely using stats (both recent and career) to question why I thought it was folly what Travis (whether it be himself or by Daddy's doing) has put the club through this year.
Fair enough mate , is it fair to say in Cloke you have FAITH NO MORE .

• career accuracy
  • bags of 5+ goals
  • frequency of 5+ bags

Like I said earlier would you have delved into those stats if he had signed 2 months ago?

As I said before.......I doubt it

Like I said earlier would you have delved into those stats if he had signed 2 months ago?

As I said before.......I doubt it
Thank god he did, facts are facts and brought to our attention, although most of us can clearly see that it's not being a good year (stat wise) for Trav. So he can shove that proposal up his 'worthless' arse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back