Coach Grumpy

MC Bad Genius

No, not THAT MC Bad Genius. The other one.
Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Just read that article. Just when you thought Langer couldn't stoop any lower. Gives a bloke a spray after taking his first catch for his country as a substitute fielder.

The stink on Langer is unbearable and I can't wait til he ***** right off.
Yeah, that's pretty ridiculous. There might be reasons for the ban on jewellery/accessories on field (and maybe it DOES give you that additional 1% that every team strives for), but to blast him at that point in time is so petty. w***er.

BStaff17

Premiership Player
Aug 1, 2016
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Shouldn't have let them celebrate after retaining the Ashes, I reckon. That's not a great mindset.

Well it was a special moment 18 years since we did it and Manchester is a good place to party i dont have a problem with it. They get on the piss after every test match win.

Our captain deciding to bowl 1st on a dry wicket. Which was 4 days after spending 85-90 overs to bowl england out was ridiculous

MC Bad Genius

Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Well it was a special moment 18 years since we did it and Manchester is a good place to party i dont have a problem with it. They get on the piss after every test match win.

Our captain deciding to bowl 1st on a dry wicket. Which was 4 days after spending 85-90 overs to bowl england out was ridiculous
Drawing a series is as special as my third bowel movement this morning.

Shouldn't have let them celebrate after retaining the Ashes, I reckon. That's not a great mindset.
The misplaced focus on trivial nonsense like that is exactly what everybody hates about Langer.

How about the players get given responsibility for setting their own minds, and the coach just worries about doing his job (which is to devise tactics and select the team, not to monitor the behaviour of grown men as if they're children).

MC Bad Genius

Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
The misplaced focus on trivial nonsense like that is exactly what everybody hates about Langer.

How about the players get given responsibility for setting their own minds, and the coach just worries about doing his job (which is to devise tactics and select the team, not to monitor the behaviour of grown men as if they're children).
If I had a coach/leader that was happy with a job half-done, I wouldn't have much respect for them.

Feb 6, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yeah, that's pretty ridiculous. There might be reasons for the ban on jewellery/accessories on field (and maybe it DOES give you that additional 1% that every team strives for), but to blast him at that point in time is so petty. w***er.
I blame Waugh's Baggy Green Imperial Cult which introduced this weird religious mythos to the Australian cricket team. To Langer it was probably genuinely a big deal to him because it somehow disrespected the ANZAC's and the ghost of Bradman.

I don't think cricket should become viewed as a purely 9 to 5 job without any mythos or reverence, but zealotry doesn't serve the modern side (and I doubt it had any positive effect in the Waugh/Ponting era which was built on the best concentrated period of cricketing talent in Aus history).

If I had a coach/leader that was happy with a job half-done, I wouldn't have much respect for them.
Mindset. Respect. Vibe? Keep rolling out these tired buzzwords, you don't sound any different to Langer.

MC Bad Genius

Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Mindset. Respect. Vibe? Keep rolling out these tired buzzwords, you don't sound any different to Langer.
I'm not sure how I sound like Langer? And respect is a tired buzzword? I'm genuinely confused. I've already said earlier in the thread that Langer seems petty and that the players are obviously unhappy with the team environment. I think there's a world of difference between me criticising the players for celebrating an unfinished series and Langer criticising someone taking his first catch in international cricket for wearing a watch.

I'm not sure how I sound like Langer? And respect is a tired buzzword? I'm genuinely confused. I've already said earlier in the thread that Langer seems petty and that the players are obviously unhappy with the team environment. I think there's a world of difference between me criticising the players for celebrating an unfinished series and Langer criticising someone taking his first catch in international cricket for wearing a watch.
It's not Langer's job to worry about timepieces any more than it is to worry about celebrations.

I'm genuinely confused why so many wish to get sidetracked by that malarkey, yet so few are willing to talk about Langer's performance within the context of what his actual role is, especially when there's greater cannon fodder with regards to the latter.

Santana

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 28, 2008
The Guardian is reporting that Trevor Bayliss is the favorite to take over for Langer if his contract isn't renewed this year. Report says CA are playing down suggestions of splitting the role by way of format as of right now.

I am sure this will go down well here

Jan 6, 2004
jfgjgfj
ponting test coach and bayliss limited overs would be pretty good but would need to spend more than CA are willing to get ponting im guessing.

Hard to know whether bayliss struggled as englands test coach though or whether he was simply doing what was asked and that is put limited overs cricket above the test side, but this should be cummins call really this is his side if he wants langer out bayliss in then they go with it or they should find a new skipper.

The Guardian is reporting that Trevor Bayliss is the favorite to take over for Langer if his contract isn't renewed this year. Report says CA are playing down suggestions of splitting the role by way of format as of right now.

I am sure this will go down well here
Would rather ponting full time coach

Even if CA showed up at Ponting's home with a truck full of money it may not be enough.
England were sniffing around him and apparently they want to sniff around Langer

Back