Remove this Banner Ad

The clean out almost completed

Ashcroft
Eade
Solomon
Primus
Prescott
Lovell

Evans should’ve shifted Lovell & Primus last year.

Prescott next

However won’t fire Solomon because he has Level 4 Mark Evans School of coaching certification.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The clean out almost completed

Ashcroft
Eade
Solomon
Primus
Prescott
Lovell

Evans should’ve shifted Lovell & Primus last year.

Prescott next

However won’t fire Solomon because he has Level 4 Mark Evans School of coaching certification.

Solly is very tight with the players and very bonded he should stay and I think was grandfathered in anyway when he got the caretaker gig, I think he is a good footy coach and brain to have there

Not sure any more changes will be made although I wouldn't be surprised if Ash Prescott gets into a more welfare/player development role and they bring in a new forward line guy, just my opinion,

Solly is very tight with the players and very bonded he should stay and I think was grandfathered in anyway when he got the caretaker gig, I think he is a good footy coach and brain to have there

Not sure any more changes will be made although I wouldn't be surprised if Ash Prescott gets into a more welfare/player development role and they bring in a new forward line guy, just my opinion,
Maybe they should fire Prescott
then repositioned Solomon as the welfare/player developer
thus opening up a position for a real FOOTBALL coach

You could be right with Malceski. If so - Raines could be promoted to NEAFL coach and a Risca / Rosa type might take over Academy coaching as Raines did at his retirement ?
Obvious intention is to import a higher profile midfield coach - someone on same wave length as Dew (Brett Kirk , Jude Bolton ? - maybe not but I'm sure he has someone in mind )

Rosa was on the record last year saying he wanted to get into list management and sat in on the draft

Wonder if we enquire about Voss , his son debuted for the Lions Neafl team on weeekend so his family lives up here , has all the experience in the world now , would be a great addition.

Not opposed to this but depends on whether Voss thinks his next move should be as a senior coach or not.

If Rischa has to retire at the end of the year it would be good to be able to keep him as a development coach / NEAFL player.

I am a Suns inaugural member but this year has really tested my patience - I cannot yet see any light at the end of the tunnel. I also guess that what I say below will not be popular.
At the start of the year I wasn't convinced that Dew was the right pick for Suns coach and I am not sure that 19 Rounds into the season that there is evidence to change my mind.
Carlton reinforced the aberration that was the Sydney game, it was a heartless and spiritless performance that reminded me of the last year of Fitzroy.
While it is clear that the Suns don't have enough quality players, I am surprised at some of the coaching decisions.
Eg 1st Quarter Wright doing well and has kicked two goals. About halfway through the first quarter Witts needs a rest so he goes off the ground and Wright goes to the ruck.
Net result minus 2 - forward line lessened and ruck lessened.
Surely rather than handing a total advantage to Carlton (at a time when the Suns were doing well) we could have gone with an old time approach and rested Witts in the forward line where he would be a difficult match up and could bring the ball to ground in marking contests.
Not sure what the Suns can do but I have seen the Caracella talk and that would be a good if unlikely move.
Similarly Mitchell back from WA is unlikely to want to move to Queensland but we need to try and target some other people with experience in successful teams - maybe looking at SA and WA is worth considering given that there are likely to be some lessons from there that are relevant to the Gold Coast.

Brett Ratten set to move on from Hawthorn at the end of the year
c8ca08633b18ab6fc61a79abcb902d80

BRETT Ratten will move on from Hawthorn at the end of the season after six seasons and three premierships as an assistant coach at the club.

The former Carlton senior coach will finish the season at the clubbut as part of this week’s August 1 deadline his future at the club has been clarified.

Ratten has been seen as a coach with enough qualities to move back into senior coaching if a position arose at some points.

ASSISTANT: EAGLES TO FIGHT TO KEEP MITCHELL

TEAMS: SEE ALL THE INS AND OUTS FOR ROUND 20

RUN HOME: WILL ESSENDON MAKE THE FINALS?

But he will continue his coaching future at another club, with the Hawks to bring in fresh coaching talent.

Senior coach Alastair Clarkson will continue next year and is seen as almost certain to sign a contract extension past 2019 over the summer.

Ratten won 60 of his 120 games as Carlton senior coach and took the Blues into the semi-final in 2011.

6b1d1782d507ddbe949ea2f7549a05df

Alastair Clarkson and Brett Ratten. Picture: Matt Turner.
With the club committing to Mick Malthouse at some stage in the 2012 season he was shunted out despite his credentials.

St Kilda has already told three coaches in Lindsay Gilbee, Rohan Welsh and Simon McPhee they will not be required next year.

The August 1 deadline under an agreement between clubs and the AFL Coaches Association allows coaches 100 days to find new employment until contracts run out.

The Hawks would be one of many Melbourne clubs keen to lure Sam Mitchell into their coaching ranksas he prepares to move back from West Coast.

He will break his contract to return to Victoria, although Clarkson joked last week he hadn’t got a positive reaction yet after shooting Mitchell a text last week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Michael Voss and Chad Cornes have signed new contracts to remain as assistant coaches at Port Adelaide for the 2019 season.

However, colleagues Matthew Nicks and Aaron Greaves will depart Alberton at the end of the year.

Port Adelaide football manager Chris Davies thanked both Nicks and Greaves for their service but insisted the pair remained committed to the rest of the Power’s 2018 season.

“The role of an AFL assistant coach is extremely demanding and both Matthew and Aaron have given their all to their respective roles and improved our football program,” Davies said.

“Matthew is looking to increase the breadth of his experience at another club and at the same time, we are mindful of the importance of introducing new coaches into our own program to generate new ideas and coaching philosophies.

“Aaron is committed to his family returning to Victoria.

“Both Matthew and Aaron are contracted to Port Adelaide until the end of October and have invested a lot into making our club better. They are fully committed to continuing to the end of our 2018 campaign.”

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-08-07/suns-making-play-for-crows-assistant

Wish I could find my post from a few months back that Dew would try get Francou as an assistant. Really this has been Dew's first move. Trust and respect takes time, and it's only natural to get someone in on your inner circle that you have that relationship with to succeed.

Francou is contracted for next year and it would seem strange for someone to come back to their home state after 4 years in NSW for 1 year and them move his family again to other state. Ryan O'keefe on the other hand who Dew would know is out of contract and has been told he is not required for next year.

Francou is contracted for next year and it would seem strange for someone to come back to their home state after 4 years in NSW for 1 year and them move his family again to other state. Ryan O'keefe on the other hand who Dew would know is out of contract and has been told he is not required for next year.
Mates are mates. If your from Adelaide you can cast your mind back 10 years+ that these 2 are best of mates. You could also mount an argument if you are used to travel for work for the past 20 years as a footballer and coaching staff position, it's not a stretch to relocate. Your default move will be home, but security is important in this particular industry.

could be offered a more senior position, that's always a goer for coaches.

Francou would be a good pick up as he's highly rated.

I also don't mind the suggestion that we're interested in Josh Drummond. He's a Queenslander (Sunshine Coast boy) and is currently working as an assistant midfield coach with North Melbourne.

So just thinking about the Barlow Lynch selection dilemmas
Tom Mitchell (barring a Gaff moment) will waltz up to the stage and hang a Charlie round his neck next month
He was a plague carrier at The Swans (while Dew was there)
Couldn't get a regular game in the seniors
Cheap possessions
Didn't work back hard enough
Happy to see him off to Hawthorn
Apparently was hard to pick him in front of guys like McVeigh, Hannaberry, Jack and Parker
I hope Dew is actually a decent judge of horseflesh

So just thinking about the Barlow Lynch selection dilemmas
Tom Mitchell (barring a Gaff moment) will waltz up to the stage and hang a Charlie round his neck next month
He was a plague carrier at The Swans (while Dew was there)
Couldn't get a regular game in the seniors
Cheap possessions
Didn't work back hard enough
Happy to see him off to Hawthorn
Apparently was hard to pick him in front of guys like McVeigh, Hannaberry, Jack and Parker
I hope Dew is actually a decent judge of horseflesh

Good point

Francou would be a good pick up as he's highly rated.

I also don't mind the suggestion that we're interested in Josh Drummond. He's a Queenslander (Sunshine Coast boy) and is currently working as an assistant midfield coach with North Melbourne.

Not having a crack, but genuinely interested, how do you know that Francou is highly rated?
Always mystifies me a bit how general public seem to know the industry opinion of assistant coaches?
Probably a bit clearer for someone like Richmonds forward line coach who made system changes which had a massive impact

What has Francou done that makes him highly rated? Other than being a good player previously.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back