Cockburn firming up

Remove this Banner Ad

From memory it's called a Community Centre which doubtless does good work and could've/would've been incorporated into the development proposal.

Yep from memory it was after the Freo expansion/redevelopment was rejected that we went all Cockburn.
Freo seemed our first preference.

Memory is subjective. If my memory serves Freo Council had a similar proposal to Cockburn that incorporated the Stan Reilly centre, was a Clean Green energy proposal as well, but FFC had already determined to go to Cockburn.

Memory is subjective. If my memory serves Freo Council had a similar proposal to Cockburn that incorporated the Stan Reilly centre, was a Clean Green energy proposal as well, but FFC had already determined to go to Cockburn.

That is what has been made public.

I'd like to see the two proposals side by side and see if it actually stacks up before making too much comment on his comparative it actually was.

The Dockers were trying to utilise the Stan Reilly centre for years but were refused on the grounds of the heritage council. I think once the Cockburn idea was mooted, the Freo Council tried to fast track their proposal but the Cockburn offer was 2 good to refuse (extra space - 2 playing fields, one the size of MCG, the other the size of the new stadium etc..)

Another option is for the Dockers to keep a nominal presence, such as a club shop, at the oval.

Why is this considered an option? Didn't the club promise members that this would happen not that long ago?

If I was on the Freo Council, I'd tell the club to take a flying leap.

Why is this considered an option? Didn't the club promise members that this would happen not that long ago?

If I was on the Freo Council, I'd tell the club to take a flying leap.
Of course they did Reg but remember that Freo was 1st, 2nd and 3rd option, obviously they were just waiting for a fourth one to come along.

In regards to the lease, instead of breaking it why not just sub-lease the building to someone else? Either way, there is no way the club should get paid for this building:thumbsdown:

Funnily enough I remember the Fremantle Council proposed development out prior to the CCC, then that was released, so there were two to compare side by side. One of the comments on this forum was that FCC was dificult to deal with etc etc. whatever it's now a moot point, the move is on, i think it's a mistake, but I'm not anyone with clout so I'll just have soldier on. Hopefully Pav will lift the cup next year, which in my opinion makes the whole argument suss.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Funnily enough I remember the Fremantle Council proposed development out prior to the CCC, then that was released, so there were two to compare side by side. One of the comments on this forum was that FCC was dificult to deal with etc etc. whatever it's now a moot point, the move is on, i think it's a mistake, but I'm not anyone with clout so I'll just have soldier on. Hopefully Pav will lift the cup next year, which in my opinion makes the whole argument suss.
It is a mistake indeed, but unfortunately one that the club had to make. Freo council were and has always been really difficult to negotiate with. IT was only when Cockburn came up with an alternative that Freo's council quickly changed tack.
Fremantle as a city is a great, historic place to visit and explore but that's the issue. There's a lot of heritage sites around the port/oval-just nowhere to expand or redevelop. The prison right next door limits any expansion akin to what is happening at the Cockburn site now. The hospital on the southern end behind the goals also limits the oval and don't forget there's a busy intersection just outside. Just too much happening for an suburban AFL Training facility.

Fremantle City is in dire need of reinventing itself. I grew up in and around the area. It has become a victim of a lost alternative era it's trying to preserve. It is subject to hipster douche-bags as Borry has pointed out. Freo' needs to balance progressive views with realism IMHO.

The horse has already bolted though - so when the powers that be finally work it out they'll realise people don't need to go to Freo' to shop, access a market or go for a meal, a cup of coffee or for a drink. The southern urban sprawl has ensured better shopping and dining precincts as well as pubs where you don't have to pay to park either.

Look at how South Terrace looks run down in some parts. It's a sad decline with no America's Cup to come along and save it.

With the development of the southern suburbs Fremantle City may find it impossible to ever lure back FFC to set up Operations at Fremantle Oval again.

Fremantle City is in dire need of reinventing itself. I grew up in and around the area. It has become a victim of a lost alternative era it's trying to preserve. It is subject to hipster douche-bags as Borry has pointed out. Freo' needs to balance progressive views with realism IMHO.

The horse has already bolted though - so when the powers that be finally work it out they'll realise people don't need to go to Freo' to shop, access a market or go for a meal, a cup of coffee or for a drink. The southern urban sprawl has ensured better shopping and dining precincts as well as pubs where you don't have to pay to park either.

Look at how South Terrace looks run down in some parts. It's a sad decline with no America's Cup to come along and save it.

With the development of the southern suburbs Fremantle City may find it impossible to ever lure back FFC to set up Operations at Fremantle Oval again.

Freo as a town is heading backwards at a rate of knots,

The best thing to happen to it was Bondy and the Americas Cup, it is now sliding back to being a sleazy port side, shithole.

you guys are being harsh on Freo. Freo is like a wacky hippy aunty. They are embarrassing but at least they are funny and interesting after a few. My favourite suburbs at the moment are Vic Park and Freo. All the other interesting suburbs are stagnating as well.

I am standing in Gateway at this very moment and it has heck all on Freo. 6164 represent and Freo is still the best part of these parts. The new training ground will be awesome but dont think for a minute arent losing a small part of us moving here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back