Review Rd 20 Review - Freo Shown Up by Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m not sure if you watched it on TV or were there, I was really surprised to read some people assess this as a coming of age game for Henry. Being at the game love I thought he was atrocious. Lost a number of one on ones to the point we stopped kicking to him in open space. Melbourne gave him all the room in the world and didn’t care if he got the ball. He picked fat side when we were out numbered and generally played the ball straight into Melbournes plus one. His inside 50s were generally trash. He needs more wafl time and another preseason.
It wasn’t Henry’s best game but he was far from the worst and you can see the improvement.

I’m a big fan but was disappointed that he fumbled a couple of times and then he just gets pushed aside. I remember this twice in the last. To offset that he did put some good pressure on and did a nice smother.

When he had space he was good and uses the ball well. I disagree that Melbourne gave him space - I watch him closely and a lot of time a Melbourne player was right with him playing him closely.

I agree it was not a coming of age game, but was a step forward. He needs to work harder, get stronger and fitter. His foot skills are very good.

He showed in the Carlton loss that he can use his body effectively like that fend off he did on the boundary to then hit up big Darcy in the corridor. Last night when he fumbled a big body like Gus Brayshaw just came in and pushed him aside and he was out of the contest.

The backline players probably saw him one out with another bigger body and numbers behind that contest and looked elsewhere. That isn’t really on Henry because I really doubt Acres would do much better. Our set-up going forward was no good. JLo refers to it as the connection going forward. That is where a fully fit Fyfe can be handy at Optus as he takes a contested mark. Tabs and Lobb were useless and I barely remember them getting up to the wing to take a mark.

I’m not sure if you watched it on TV or were there, I was really surprised to read some people assess this as a coming of age game for Henry. Being at the game love I thought he was atrocious. Lost a number of one on ones to the point we stopped kicking to him in open space. Melbourne gave him all the room in the world and didn’t care if he got the ball. He picked fat side when we were out numbered and generally played the ball straight into Melbournes plus one. His inside 50s were generally trash. He needs more wafl time and another preseason.
I just don’t understand how anyone can say he was atrocious, feels like everyone is sweating on any mistake he makes. His strength and commitment in a contest is so much better, his pressure work is great with some run down tackles even and his poise is noticeably better than most the team. He would fluffed like 3 possessions off the top of my head.

I’ll have to rewatch and be really critical because your not the only who feels that way

I just don’t understand how anyone can say he was atrocious, feels like everyone is sweating on any mistake he makes. His strength and commitment in a contest is so much better, his pressure work is great with some run down tackles even and his poise is noticeably better than most the team. He would fluffed like 3 possessions off the top of my head.

I’ll have to rewatch and be really critical because your not the only who feels that way
Nah
You’re first observation was correct IMO
Henry was really classy at the start of the game and shows the skills we all thought he had
Yes there were a few clangers and yes he fades out late in games but his tackling , disposal and work rate has improved greatly

He is worth persisting with as best 22 ( for now) , he has a lot of potential that JL needs to extract from him as part of our future .

Nah
You’re first observation was correct IMO
Henry was really classy at the start of the game and shows the skills we all thought he had
Yes there were a few clangers and yes he fades out late in games but his tackling , disposal and work rate has improved greatly

He is worth persisting with as best 22 ( for now) , he has a lot of potential that JL needs to extract from him as part of our future .
I still need to understand where the negativity is coming from so will rewatch. He’s definitely not getting dropped and like Freddy, I think he’s going to have a big game next week against the Swiss cheese that is the Dogs full ground defence

I still need to understand where the negativity is coming from so will rewatch. He’s definitely not getting dropped and like Freddy, I think he’s going to have a big game next week against the Swiss cheese that is the Dogs full ground defence

👍
Those 2 are confidence players and sometimes that can be to their detriment I hope they can get involved next few games so they have the right mindset In September

Let us know what you think when you rewatch the game

I reckon Superkoops post #255 summed it up nicely

Henry found himself lots of space on the fat side wing on a few occasions and the quick kick was on , but we didn’t take it

I and a few others possibly saw that as a lack of trust in him buts it’s also an indictment on how the team has lost some of the dare we had earlier in the season

Once he shows some more consistency and gains more body strength he could be a link up weapon

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What I will say is I’d like this to change. This may have been symptomatic of our game situation but this needs to be flipped…too much ball in the back half

View attachment 1461280
Think about it this way. Most of our forwards were too busy defending up the ground because of our slow ball movement getting overturned. If the game was flowing more we would definitely see him in the attacking half of the ground as he is offensively minded.

From the FFC website;

"Sean Darcy has received a fine for striking during Fremantle's clash with Melbourne on Friday night at Optus Stadium.

The incident occurred in the second quarter involving Melbourne's Christian Petracca.

Based on the available evidence, the incident was assessed as Intentional Conduct, Low Impact, Body Contact.

He can accept a $2000 sanction for a first offence with an early plea."

Because Petracca is a whiney little bee -arch.
What a sook sook competition 🤣 pertraca is soft as mid-summer ice cream at scabsys 🤢

What a sook sook competition 🤣 pertraca is soft as mid-summer ice cream at scabsys 🤢

Agree with the first bit but Petracca did what is totally understandable in the situation. What should've happened was Darcy should've put him back in his box instead of just letting him get into him, and, there definitely shouldn't have been any MRP action, but we all know what a laughable joke they are!

Not sure if I've missed something, but yesterday I was watching my "other" team for the weekend, Gold Coast and Jai Culley delivered an elbow to the head of a GC player after he had disposed of the ball. It was paid a relayed free kick but I see no mention of it in the match review findings. Surely an elbow to the face is worth more than a tummy tap???

Not sure if I've missed something, but yesterday I was watching my "other" team for the weekend, Gold Coast and Jai Culley delivered an elbow to the head of a GC player after he had disposed of the ball. It was paid a relayed free kick but I see no mention of it in the match review findings. Surely an elbow to the face is worth more than a tummy tap???

It will be looked at today. For some reason the MRO do a staggered review of the previous days games, rather than reviewing all games at the end of the round.

Would you like a real breakdown, or just fumble in the dark?

Our issues, are and will remain at the source.

We have an overweight ruckman who was bullied by Petracca, swat that little fly away. Instead, he was physically and verbally abused. You line him up, and bury him. That was some serioulsy weak football from Darcy after throwing a rabbit punch, he then went full tail between the legs. Show some spine.

In addition to the decline of Darcy, we are carrying too many "watchers" - blokes that want the ball, but don't want to win it in the trenches. We were absolutely destroyed, again, by a big bodied midfield brigade, this time Petracca had energy and he mauled our little cubs.

Unless there is a genuine growth spurt from Serong, and Brayshaw actually shows he can mix it in the middle, these two should inhabit the wings and spread from stoppages. When push comes to shove, these two are bullied, too easily and too often.

Again, it was left to Brodie and Mundy to win the contested ball & clearance, while AB and CS squawked for the lateral handball.

We are in a world of hurt from the middle, without the ability to push through the stoppage, and break with any power, we revert lateral, and then backward. Even if we win from stoppage, we don't have the power to go through the front door, this allows oppo defences to shift and roll behind the ball.

The forward line is full of plodders who have masquaraded on size alone, Taberner is never going to be a premiership winning, reliable key forward, nor is Lobb, yet we pay these two god forsaken amounts to be "almost" players.

Terminate, one or both of them and start feeding games into the forwards with natural goal sense, a hunger to compete and desire bring the ball to ground as a bare minimum.

Also, Alex Pearce needs to be retired, he is not fit for purpose in the modern game.

Regarding Henry, we need to ask what is he and what does he bring to the team? He was always marketed as a small forward, yet rarely hits the scoreboard and his pressure isn't great - only 1 goal this year and 9 tackles. Doesn't come across as even a half decent small forward. Regularly gets caught.

He's not a speedy line breaker.

He's not an inside player, easily out-muscled.

He was marketed as having silky skills, yet regularly fumbles - not a clean distributer of the ball.

I really like the kid, but i'm not sure what he brings at this level. I don't know what JL's role is for him, but it's hard to see him bringing anything positive to the team at this level.

What do we think his role is in the team? and why should he be in the team?

We have an overweight ruckman who was bullied by Petracca, swat that little fly away. Instead, he was physically and verbally abused. You line him up, and bury him. That was some serioulsy weak football from Darcy after throwing a rabbit punch, he then went full tail between the legs. Show some spine.

In addition to the decline of Darcy, we are carrying too many "watchers" - blokes that want the ball, but don't want to win it in the trenches. We were absolutely destroyed, again, by a big bodied midfield brigade, this time Petracca had energy and he mauled our little cubs.

Unless there is a genuine growth spurt from Serong, and Brayshaw actually shows he can mix it in the middle, these two should inhabit the wings and spread from stoppages. When push comes to shove, these two are bullied, too easily and too often.

Again, it was left to Brodie and Mundy to win the contested ball & clearance, while AB and CS squawked for the lateral handball.

We are in a world of hurt from the middle, without the ability to push through the stoppage, and break with any power, we revert lateral, and then backward. Even if we win from stoppage, we don't have the power to go through the front door, this allows oppo defences to shift and roll behind the ball.

The forward line is full of plodders who have masquaraded on size alone, Taberner is never going to be a premiership winning, reliable key forward, nor is Lobb, yet we pay these two god forsaken amounts to be "almost" players.

Terminate, one or both of them and start feeding games into the forwards with natural goal sense, a hunger to compete and desire bring the ball to ground as a bare minimum.

Also, Alex Pearce needs to be retired, he is not fit for purpose in the modern game.

Being pretty harsh in a lot of what you say. I only saw a few minutes of the game but watching what happened to Darcy i agree whole heartedly with you. For a big ruckman he should've floored Petracca with that carry on, and if he wasnt, his team mates shouldve responded. was a really embarrassing passage to watch. The youngsters were too overawed with the premiers i think. Darcy need to be stronger and tougher in these instances.

I'd love to know your thoughts following the first Melbourne game, the Brisbane game, the Geelong game, the first Carlton game...you get my drift.

I'd love to know your thoughts following the first Melbourne game, the Brisbane game, the Geelong game, the first Carlton game...you get my drift.
Strangely, he didnt post much then because then he couldnt claim to be "always right"

He's not a speedy line breaker.
I think Henry has made good improvement this year but it is this bit that I don't get - I thought when we got him he was meant to be FAST. What happened?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back