List Mgmt. Collingwood Academy Kids

Remove this Banner Ad

I've always assumed we asked for higher pick than 41 & 44, but that's what we were able to acquire.

Again, it'll come down to where Hine rates all these FS & academy picks. If he rates them in the 50's then he's not matching a first round bid, but might be tempted to match a 2nd round bid. All I was saying is that he won't be swayed by the hype.
Your right that Hine has never bought into the hype, and if they think that lQ and Kelly are not mid to late first round talent he will pass on them.
I think if they both get through to the second round before a bid comes they will both be taken then.

I've always assumed we asked for higher pick than 41 & 44, but that's what we were able to acquire.

Again, it'll come down to where Hine rates all these FS & academy picks. If he rates them in the 50's then he's not matching a first round bid, but might be tempted to match a 2nd round bid. All I was saying is that he won't be swayed by the hype.

I wanted the Lions pick 32 to come back from them to us in the Beams deal. But they needed that to satisfy the Dogs to complete the Marcus Adams trade.

In hindsight picks 41 and 44 as a combo are of higher value than pick 32 by itself anyway so it worked out better in the end.

We should be able to make up most of the points for IQ with 41 and 44. Now that we know points are attached to the Fas compo, 51 and 57 should get us most of Will Kelly. At worst we go into slight deficit in the 2nd round next year. :D

Will be interesting if an early bid is made. I think we'll match regardless.

On the one hand, it would be a very brave club making a bid just to keep us honest. Quaynor has made it very clear how much he loves Collingwood, so there would be a huge go home factor if a team like GWS made the bid.

On the other hand, if we go too far into deficit, then our first pick next year could be very late.

I think IQ has been overhyped a bit. The afl website had him "blitzing the combine" even though he didn't rate that highly in most areas except for goal-kicking, which is probably not an area he'll be recruited in. So I hardly think he blitzed the combine.

I reckon it would be a vindictive side that would make the bid early. But I wouldn't put it past a GWS maybe.

Well you say the Highest he would go be around 13 and that is even a massive Reach

I wanted the Lions pick 32 to come back from them to us in the Beams deal. But they needed that to satisfy the Dogs to complete the Marcus Adams trade.

In hindsight picks 41 and 44 as a combo are of higher value than pick 32 by itself anyway so it worked out better in the end.

We should be able to make up most of the points for IQ with 41 and 44. Now that we know points are attached to the Fas compo, 51 and 57 should get us most of Will Kelly. At worst we go into slight deficit in the 2nd round next year. :D

I think 41 & 44 will rise up a bit once matching is done for the Thomas, Blakey and West types so I think they'll ultimately be worth more points.

We may even have points left over...:)

Be nice to get a late 60's early 70's pick back. Certainly a better option than waiting for our pick in the 90's.

I think 41 & 44 will rise up a bit once matching is done for the Thomas, Blakey and West types so I think they'll ultimately be worth more points.

Not really. If a single pick before our picks is enough to match, it has no effect. If multiple picks before our picks are needed to match then our picks move up. But if picks after our picks are used to match, then we move down a spot in the draft.

Blakey will probably result in our picks shifting upwards, as Sydney will use multiple picks before ours to match, but Thomas and Scott may result in our picks shifting downwards a spot as North's matching picks will come after our picks. West could go either way, but seems likely to be pretty neutral, it's likely that one pick before our picks will enough to match, if they need two to match we'll move up, alternatively if he lasts after 32, our picks will move downwards.

Not really. If a single pick before our picks is enough to match, it has no effect. If multiple picks before our picks are needed to match then our picks move up. But if picks after our picks are used to match, then we move down a spot in the draft.

Blakey will probably result in our picks shifting upwards, as Sydney will use multiple picks before ours to match, but Thomas and Scott may result in our picks shifting downwards a spot as North's matching picks will come after our picks. West could go either way, but seems likely to be pretty neutral, it's likely that one pick before our picks will enough to match, if they need two to match we'll move up, alternatively if he lasts after 32, our picks will move downwards.

You may well be right but I think its a bit of yes and no. It'll come down to where the bids are.

Blakey likely moves 41 to 40 and 44 to 43, Thomas likely to subsequently move 40 back to 41 and 43 to 42. That's all likely to happen before IQ, Kelly, West and Scott come into the discussions. Doggies still have multiple picks before 41 which could be affected by bids on West. North don't have anything left before 41.McFadyn the other player who might attract bids forcing the Bears to use picks before our 41 but unlikely to shift our picks. Assuming of course there aren't any pick trades between now and the draft.

You may well be right but I think its a bit of yes and no. It'll come down to where the bids are.

Blakey likely moves 41 to 40 and 44 to 43, Thomas likely to subsequently move 40 back to 41 and 43 to 42. That's all likely to happen before IQ, Kelly, West and Scott come into the discussions. Doggies still have multiple picks before 41 which could be affected by bids on West. North don't have anything left before 41.McFadyn the other player who might attract bids forcing the Bears to use picks before our 41 but unlikely to shift our picks. Assuming of course there aren't any pick trades between now and the draft.
Net result on 41 and 44 is unlikely to be significant, but our later picks are likely to grow in value, due to our earlier picks and Norths earlier picks being used for matching.

This maths stuff fair dinkum does my head in!!

giphy.gif

I really hope we just take the best players available- do the right thing!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
The only way we could do that would be ti trade up to a higher draft pick after a bid us made (which would be hard to do with our picks). Otherwise we wouldn't have a clue who the best available would be in the 40s.

It would be very handy to have a second round pick so there wasn't such a difference between where the bids will come and where our picks are. Its a shame we traded it away for 'flexibility'

To be honest I think its a mistake to have shown our hand so obviously to the opposition. We have no choice but to match the bids.

The only saving grace is that clubs will have to guess whether we are keen on Kelly or not

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Net result on 41 and 44 is unlikely to be significant, but our later picks are likely to grow in value, due to our earlier picks and Norths earlier picks being used for matching.

Yep, both picks in the 50s could climb 5-6 spots.

The only way we could do that would be ti trade up to a higher draft pick after a bid us made (which would be hard to do with our picks). Otherwise we wouldn't have a clue who the best available would be in the 40s.

It would be very handy to have a second round pick so there wasn't such a difference between where the bids will come and where our picks are. Its a shame we traded it away for 'flexibility'

To be honest I think its a mistake to have shown our hand so obviously to the opposition. We have no choice but to match the bids.

The only saving grace is that clubs will have to guess whether we are keen on Kelly or not

Still might get a 2nd Rounder with Trades with Picks are still Allowed

I don't see why a good half back flanker is tipped to be bid on so early. They are not the rarest of beasts, and we already have some rather good ones.

I don't see why a good half back flanker is tipped to be bid on so early. They are not the rarest of beasts, and we already have some rather good ones.
Agree. Back flankers don’t usually go early unless they’re Isaac Smith style racehorses, who can equally play wing and attack with long, accurate kicking. Even then we’re talking mid-teens. It’s just not valued much as a position relative to KPPs or mids.

Agree. Back flankers don’t usually go early unless they’re Isaac Smith style racehorses, who can equally play wing and attack with long, accurate kicking. Even then we’re talking mid-teens. It’s just not valued much as a position relative to KPPs or mids.
Does he have potential to go through the midfield.

Dumb theory. The dogs had no incentive to do so. Clubs won't do it out of spite. Theyll only do it if they see an advantage for them. The Pies this year are one occasion where a team may be tempted to play funny buggers. Eg. you want Kelly at pick 15, but are confident that Collingwood will match a bid for Quaynor, bid on Quaynor first, this will make it less likely that Collingwood match a bid for Kelly. Still think it is unlikely, unless that club actually rates Quaynor as next in line or very close.
Dogs bid early knowing full well they couldn't get him

IN FACT HAD ALREADY NEGOTIATED MOVEMENT OF PICK

never were serious and forced our hand

It's going to happen this year

WERE COLLINGWOOD

EXPECT NO FAVOURS

I think it's just that the best young players usually get played in the midfield. There are exceptions though.

I could be wrong, but i think that two of the really successful number 1 picks - Hodge and Goddard, were junior back flankers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back