List Mgmt. Collingwood Academy Kids

Remove this Banner Ad

YOUSEPH DIB (Vic Metro / Oakleigh Chargers)
: Small midfielder who wins his own ball and uses it well on either foot. Creative player who averaged 19 disposals (11 contested possessions), 7.3 tackles and 3.7 clearances across the championships.

ALEX LUKIC (Vic Metro / Oakleigh Chargers): Mobile tall forward with outstanding goal sense averaging 3 goals per game from his 9.7 disposals and 2 marks. Kicked 5 goals against Western Australia and 4 against Vic Country in a productive championships for a forward.

Are any of these 2 be part of our Academy?

All Australians at the U-16 Champs

Judging by their last names, I’d say yes.
Depends if a parent was born overseas.

Looks like Youseph Dib is (or at least he was a year ago): https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2018-04-20/nga-testing-day-cfc-2018

Dib, who is of Lebanese heritage, is a member of Collingwood’s Next Generation Academy team, and is a part of the Oakleigh Chargers’ under 15 program. He plays junior football in the Eastern Football League.

Lukic wouldn't be at all likely.

Judging by their last names, I’d say yes.
Depends if a parent was born overseas.
It's not just anywhere overseas, however. Lukic is probably of Serbian/Yugoslav heritage, and would not qualify, even if a parent was born there.

From AFL Rules 2018:
CaLD: "Culturally and Linguistically Diverse (CaLD) – where a player or both parents are born in a non-English speaking country." We had Atu Bosenavulagi in our Academy thanks to his Fijian background, so he qualified under this category.

It's not just anywhere overseas, however. Lukic is probably of Serbian/Yugoslav heritage, and would not qualify, even if a parent was born there.

From AFL Rules 2018:
View attachment 711017
CaLD: "Culturally and Linguistically Diverse (CaLD) – where a player or both parents are born in a non-English speaking country." We had Atu Bosenavulagi in our Academy thanks to his Fijian background, so he qualified under this category.

So the Dickheads at AFL House has just made this pretty much Useless?

It's not really useless at all! I think it makes plenty of sense the way they have it set up.

Of course we got Quaynor because his father was born in Africa, and Atu B. qualified as well. The AFL is trying to encourage more kids with Asian and African backgrounds to play our game. They were never going to make it open for those with e.g. Italian, Greek, or Yugoslav backgrounds to be tied to clubs through the NGA, because there's plenty of them playing the game already, and lots of very fine players have had that heritage.

It's not really useless at all! I think it makes plenty of sense the way they have it set up.

Of course we got Quaynor because his father was born in Africa, and Atu B. qualified as well. The AFL is trying to encourage more kids with Asian and African backgrounds to play our game. They were never going to make it open for those with e.g. Italian, Greek, or Yugoslav backgrounds to be tied to clubs through the NGA, because there's plenty of them playing the game already, and lots of very fine players have had that heritage.

They said it was for ALL kids that don't have Parents that was Born in Australia but change it a year later.

The NGA Academies would of Sunk a Lot. Bet some Team Complained about it

We got a first round prospect in the first year of the program and you’re calling it useless. Seriously?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We got a first round prospect in the first year of the program and you’re calling it useless. Seriously?

Not in that way but AFL just shows they change things on the Fly

Not in that way but AFL just shows they change things on the Fly
Has anything actually been changed or are you just assuming it has? A quick google search for NGA rule changes brings up nothing. I was under the impression that the NGA rules always stated that the prospects had to come from non-traditional AFL backgrounds like Asia and Africa, not European countries.

I don't understand why indigenous players should be included in next generation academies.

Indigenous players have played and had pathways into the VFL/AFL for many decades now.

North Melbourne got priority access to very talented Thomas and he was drafted out of Tasmania.

Not like he was playing in some remote indigenous community and the North recruiters happened to stumble upon him was it?

I just don't get it, it's bound to be exploited by AFL clubs while some like West Coast and Fremantle seem to be better placed to benefit from it.

I don't understand why indigenous players should be included in next generation academies.

Indigenous players have played and had pathways into the VFL/AFL for many decades now.

North Melbourne got priority access to very talented Thomas and he was drafted out of Tasmania.

Not like he was playing in some remote indigenous community and the North recruiters happened to stumble upon him was it?

I just don't get it, it's bound to be exploited by AFL clubs while some like West Coast and Fremantle seem to be better placed to benefit from it.
Pretty sure that WC got Cameron as an NGA last year. Absolute steal.

There’ll be a few reasons ...

(1) It’s a significant battlefront in the war between the sporting codes. It’s inevitable that Indigenous culture will become a much stronger part of Australian national identity. Conquering societies start by subjugating the indigenous population but then they eventually embrace it and absorb it as part of a unified identity. By the AFL investing heavily in indigenous development programs, they’re hitching a ride on the back of indigenous reconciliation in a push to make the AFL Australia’s national sport.

(2) AFL is very conscious of their brand. Women’s programs are good for its brand. Auskick programs are good for its brand. Indigenous programs are good for its brand. Sure, not everybody sees supporting indigenous programs as a worthy thing, but it’s unlikely that any existing AFL supporters would stop following AFL because of it. It’ll result in a nett gain of interest.

(3) Eventhough indigenous folks have greater representation in AFL than they do in greater society (If AFL followed society there’d be around 17 players competition-wide who would identify as indigenous, and there’d be a lot more than that) it’d be generally accepted that indigenous communities wouldn’t enjoy the same opportunities to become elite AFL footballers as non-indigenous communities do. If the AFL wants to have the very best players and athletes then it makes sense to invest in indigenous communities to ensure that those with the most talent are given the opportunity to realise their potential.

Should be limited to remote indigenous communities and tiwi islands.

Suburban and even rural indigenous have all the same pathways and opportunity as non indigenous.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back