List Mgmt. Collingwood FS & NGA "Peter Daicos Academy" kids

Remove this Banner Ad

Gee Doug Kerr looks a good size and had elite agility testing to go with it.

8ca1fcf6b7c6ac61e9e1b57d5c1a18fe.jpg

0150d77481ce2524c043180d317c7b1c.jpg

This one is Doug and Pies VFL listed 205cm ruck, Boston

98461813c7899bc3be715ffd21a6b976.jpg

90f1a3c75fdc29a48b1fef38e2ec3deb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does he use his size well or is he like Allan?
Hard to tell yet. I've only seen him play this one game, where the the players struggled to get their hands on the ball. But his pressure was good, laid 5 tackles. Big game v sandy on saturday @ RSEA. Always gets a big crowd, bit of a rivalry here.

I told him last night he should throw his weight round, he's bigger than these kids and trained with men in the preseason.

I'll upload some footage.

I love this thread. It’s where ‘hope’ is born and nurtured along until…Sav’s son elects to go to North.☹️

But seriously, I do love reading about the kids of past players, and God knows we’ve been well served in recent years (measured by the whinging and whining of the less well served clubs).

The Lonie and McGuane boys look good?

P.S. not sure if she’s mentioned on here, and possibly not because she’s in South Aus, but Violet Patterson, daughter of Stephen Patterson, is also looking the goods for joining our AFLW team.

I like how they write only about 178cm. Not too concerned there, bulk can be fixed.

Height can be overrated.

I'm about 178 and I played Goal Keeper in mixed netball for a while and played on blokes well over 6ft and beat them handily through an ability to read the play/ball. I'm also fairly blessed with an ability to jump higher than someone my height should.

Which helped a lot lol

Height can be overrated.

I'm about 178 and I played Goal Keeper in mixed netball for a while and played on blokes well over 6ft and beat them handily through an ability to read the play/ball. I'm also fairly blessed with an ability to jump higher than someone my height should.

Which helped a lot lol

The issue arises when you vs someone equally skilled and athletic but 10cm taller and an extra 20cm reach aerially.

Conversely ground ball pick up and agility will always favour the 178cm guy over the 198cm bloke and likely acceleration over 5m too.

Equally bulk on a big frame with same strength / skill will win out in a contest too, as they carry more weight giving that slight advantage.

We all shapes and sizes have different strength and weakness, I think it’s when you have too many of a type rather then diversity of types that it becomes an issue. Don’t want a team full of short people getting bullied off the ball weekly, or a slow less agile/explosive team of 190cm cruisers either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Height can be overrated.

Which helped a lot lol

I once coached a basketball team of mainly Sudanese kids. We had 4 on the team who could dunk from a two foot standing jump. Used to intimidate the * out of other teams in a dynamic warm up without balls and then a couple of dunking drills. Unfortunately all the boys were straight from refugee camps and hadn't played basketball before - we were ******* hopeless once the game started.

But seriously - you're talking about playing tall as a 178cm player in your mixed netball team...if the boys I'm talking about had have come from 10 years of basketball - their height and leap would have demolished the teams they played against.

Last edited:
The issue arises when you vs someone equally skilled and athletic but 10cm taller and an extra 20cm reach aerially.

Conversely ground ball pick up and agility will always favour the 178cm guy over the 198cm bloke and likely acceleration over 5m too.

Equally bulk on a big frame with same strength / skill will win out in a contest too, as they carry more weight giving that slight advantage.

We all shapes and sizes have different strength and weakness, I think it’s when you have too many of a type rather then diversity of types that it becomes an issue. Don’t want a team full of short people getting bullied off the ball weekly, or a slow less agile/explosive team of 190cm cruisers either.

I get that.

Hence why I said "can be overrated"

In the context of his height automatically being perceived as a negative.

I get that.

Hence why I said "can be overrated"

In the context of his height automatically being perceived as height

Yeah fair call but Nick and Josh are already smaller sized mids/winger.
So hopefully he can at least get their height of 183cm.

Pendles is 190cm but doesn't often use his size physically.

Jordy also big but likes to burst out into space or through a tackle rather then crash in.

That crash in mid is what we lack and one that can defend the front of the stoppage well.

Yeah fair call but Nick and Josh are already smaller sized mids/winger.
So hopefully he can at least get their height of 183cm.

Pendles is 190cm but doesn't often use his size physically.

Jordy also big but likes to burst out into space or through a tackle rather then crash in.

That crash in mid is what we lack and one that can defend the front of the stoppage well.
Undersized mids can still be good inside. Mitchell is for us. Tom Atkins is a great one

Plenty of small mids out there, if they have weapons, their height doesn't often matter. And he's very creative with ball in hand from what ive seen in a small sample. But Tommy will likely grow a little bit given he's not even 17 until August.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back