News Collingwood furious as manager shops Alan Toovey around via email

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Collingwood furious as manager shops Alan Toovey around via email

• by: Jon Ralph
  • October 11, 2011 12:00AM

392311-alan-toovey.jpg

Collingwood's Alan Toovey spoils Geelong's Steve Johnson during the finals series. Picture: George Salpigtidis Source: Herald Sun

COLLINGWOOD premiership defender Alan Toovey looks certain to walk out on the club amid uproar over his manager's controversial tactics.

Manager Jim Marinis told the Herald Sun Toovey was prepared to enter December's pre-season draft following Collingwood's new contract offer.
He described Toovey as "well and truly undervalued" and took the extraordinary step of emailing every club at the weekend to offer his player around.
Rival club officials were astonished Toovey was being auctioned so brazenly, but Marinis said it was a last resort after talks with Collingwood broke down twice.

This Jess Bloke is a Complete and Utter Prick.

No Wonder the Club wants him to F*ck Off

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...around-via-email/story-fn69a32t-1226163394985

If he goes, I'd have a crack at Gram, who is gone from St. Kilda.

If he wants to shop around and get a better price for himself, then go for it. Didn't think Tooves was like this and I'll really miss him if he decides to leave for the money instead of success.

It's got to a point now where I think we just have to look at trading him and gaining something. Looks like we aren't going to up the ante on the contract and he is prepared to go through the pre-season draft. TRADE TRADE TRADE!

Collingwood's Alan Toovey spoils Geelong's Steve Johnson during the finals series. Picture: George Salpigtidis Source: Herald Sun

Also, didn't know we played Geelong at night in this years finals series :p

Yeah go ahead and play chicken with us Jim.. we need the salary cap room so don't expect us to blink you ****ing gutter snipe

As good as Toooves has been at the Pies, rightly or wrongly I get the impression it's that it's mainly because he 'fits in with the structure' of our backline, in conjunction with his pace and discipline, more than perhaps his natural gifts.

Will be interested to see the outside interest in him, my gut feeling is not too much.

People get overly judged on GF appearances sometimes, and he looked pretty ordinary with his disposals in that.

Hope he doesn't become an unloved and homeless possum.

That's not to undervalue him, but with his manager's shenanigans, could well understand the club may tell him/them to take a hike.

Kevin Sheedy talked him up midyear saying he was one of the underrated players that does the job each week and does it well without the fanfare, wonder if they are or will be involved in this considering it sounds like money is the issue.

This Jess Bloke is a Complete and Utter Prick.

No Wonder the Club wants him to F*ck Off

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...around-via-email/story-fn69a32t-1226163394985

This is true! However what Jim Marinis, the manager of Alan Toovey, has done by emailing other clubs and prostituting around old possum eyes' services has SFA to do with Jess....

I also worry for Tooves, because I just don't think there'll be that much interest out there. Thanks to this move by his manager he could very well be left in a position of taking any old offer via the PSD and end up at a struggling club.

According to The Age, Marinis is asking for $350,000 a year over 2 years. That would be his absolute peak price for his career

Classic case of player and management overestimating potential earnings. Happens often around trade week, only to end in disappointment. If Toovs is worth more, then the Pies can expect a reasonable return for him.

From our pov, other players seem to have negotiated compromised contracts to stay at the Pies. Toovs comes along and says he wants more OR he will walk!..we say f off...take your chances in the December draft...

OH NO WAIT>>>HUN ARTICLE IS WRITTEN BY JON RALPH

Toovs will stay!

I don't believe it for a second.

I know Tooves much better than these HS flogs and I am positive he isn't saying half of the stuff his dick of a manager is spurting to the media.

I think they are empty threats - similar to the Cloke scenario last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Something tells me we are being tight with our non-essential players in hope of creating some room for a bigger name at the club.

I think it's a case of we have too many big names at the club already on undervalued salaries to begin with.

Cloke, Thomas, Pendlebury, and I dare say Swan are probably all making unders compared to market value at this point. We have some superstars playing for us, and they will always cost you.

Look, worst case scenario is PSD, but before that if he has his heart set on ****ing off, then we should try hard to get one of the 17yo kids from the GWS. Tooves is a brilliant man on man defender (you're dense if you disagree, sorry) and he would be invaluable in the GWS side. We could stand to gain.

Would still be devo if he left.

let's say we put him on the table. Who would we go after? Koby Stevens? Packaged with ______ for a bigger prize?

I wouldn't be surprised if Buckley had a word to Toovey about his new role or lack of it. Toovey is a great 1/1 defender who is your typical Malthouse clone. His biggest weakness is his foot disposal.

I wouldn't be surprised if Buckley had a word to Toovey about his new role or lack of it. Toovey is a great 1/1 defender who is your typical Malthouse clone. His biggest weakness is his foot disposal.

You still need your 1 on 1 stoppers, but I guess with Tarrant and others there they think that they can cover the role and need someone more offensive.

Could be a good tagger, though .

I always view these sorts of things in the HS with a healthy degree of scepticism, but that is a very discouraging article. In previous interviews Tooves has come across as very down to earth, enjoyed his cult hero status at the Pies, so I'm really surprised by the direction this is taking. I really hope Tooves stays, because his combination of pace & ability in the contests make him our best lock down defender.

I think it's a case of we have too many big names at the club already on undervalued salaries to begin with.

Cloke, Thomas, Pendlebury, and I dare say Swan are probably all making unders compared to market value at this point. We have some superstars playing for us, and they will always cost you.

Good timing

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-strikes-interim-pay-deal/story-e6frf9jf-1226163239304
CLUBS will get an extra $610,000 next season under a makeshift pay deal between the AFL and its players.The one-year agreement sees the salary cap rise from $8.78 million to $9.39 million, including club-funded additional service agreements.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-strikes-interim-pay-deal/story-e6frf9jf-1226163239304

I always view these sorts of things in the HS with a healthy degree of scepticism, but that is a very discouraging article. In previous interviews Tooves has come across as very down to earth, enjoyed his cult hero status at the Pies, so I'm really surprised by the direction this is taking. I really hope Tooves stays, because his combination of pace & ability in the contests make him our best lock down defender.

Same here I'm usually in the same boat with these types of things. But this would be one of the easiest gets a journalist would ever have.

There'd be a clear trail of where the email originated from with all 17 rival clubs receiving it (considering Maranis the dope confirmed he sent it). You'd guess there'd be at least 3-4 people at each club cc'd on it so there's 50-60 people that would have received it and it only takes one to forward it to the media and its out in the open.

TBH it wouldn't surprise me if Maranis just sent it to some media outlets as well to get his Tooves some media coverage. It'll either be career suicide for Maranis or a stroke of genius and if I was a betting man I wouldn't be on it ending well....

Honest question here Pies fans - Is Toovey a classic example of a decent player being talked up as a star purely because he is part of a successful team?
Not really. I don't think he's being talked up as a star either, he's just a very reliable player who is always picked because he does a great job at shutting down his opponent. He's fast and puts his body on the line, is rarely beaten. He's one of those players that will rarely be in the top 5 but will always be doing a good job to help the side win. He'd be the same player at any club, it's just that he's only decent at 1 on 1 roles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back