List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade & FA 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

194cm forwards trying to be the key forward without supporting guns who are 200cm+ just isn’t a thing. We need that height. The best mark last night was Cox.
You're trying to play footy on paper.

Carlton hit their straps last year when McKay was injured.

We won the flag last year.

It'd be great to have Curnow and McKay. (If McKay can kick again) But you can still be a bloody good team without a set up that contains a huge brute 200cm forward. You need ones who can clunk some marks and not get out marked too often. Height sure as hell helps, but it's definitely not the only factor.

I just think you’ve gone way too early in assessing the trade.
It was a bad trade from the moment we did it.

I think we would all be pretty happy if Schultz turned out to be as good as someone like Jamie Elliott. Yet we know that we would never have been able to trade Elliott out for a first and second rounder. You just don't pay so much for small forwards, especially ones without x-factor.

The risk that first rounder could be a potential top 10 pick if this is the year we fall off the cliff with our old list just compounds the issue.

Last edited:
The list really is a giant turd covered in a beautiful Premiership cup-silver leaf. We refuse to learn from our mistakes with trading/drafting.

We are going to need a complete rebuild and a team management overhaul. The quicker we realise that the better - even if we can't properly start it until the end of 2025 because we have already screwed our 2024 draft hand.

Give Fly the mandate for a full rebuild, no half-measures.
As expected - catastrophising is your one wood.

It was a bad trade from the moment we did it.

I think we would all be pretty happy if Schultz turned out to be as good as someone like Jamie Elliott. Yet we know that we would never have been able to trade Elliott out for a first and second rounder. You just don't pay so much for small forwards, especially ones without x-factor.

The risk that first rounder could be a potential top 10 pick if this is the year we fall off the cliff with our old list just compounds the issue.
Our ball movement in the first 2 games hasn't helped his cause or any of the forwards cause. It's only round 2

Our ball movement in the first 2 games hasn't helped his cause or any of the forwards cause. It's only round 2
It is too early to call but it is also pretty complacent move to trade a future 1st when we do have one of the oldest lists in the competition. The philosophy of picking players that are proven over potential is floored just as picking players on potential rather than output is floored. Trading a future 1st + pick 34 does seem overs especially if that pick falls between 10 - 14. If we traded that for Schultz imagine what JUH, Logan McDonald, Bailey Smith would cost.

Our tall problem is further compounded by trading our future 1st so JUH or Logan McDonald would take a mega deal and while we might have the money we do not have the draft capital. If Moore goes down we are fudged especially with no Murphy, Maybe Eyre is a gun and will be best 22 but Framptom, Eyre and Dean as KPD does not really give me great confidence in our back line.

Our forward line is also a problem, with McStay out and Johnson and Reef fighting for the same spot we have the always injured Kreuger and Frampton playing up forward.

It is too early to call but it is also pretty complacent move to trade a future 1st when we do have one of the oldest lists in the competition. The philosophy of picking players that are proven over potential is floored just as picking players on potential rather than output is floored. Trading a future 1st + pick 34 does seem overs especially if that pick falls between 10 - 14. If we traded that for Schultz imagine what JUH, Logan McDonald, Bailey Smith would cost.

Our tall problem is further compounded by trading our future 1st so JUH or Logan McDonald would take a mega deal and while we might have the money we do not have the draft capital. If Moore goes down we are fudged especially with no Murphy, Maybe Eyre is a gun and will be best 22 but Framptom, Eyre and Dean as KPD does not really give me great confidence in our back line.

Our forward line is also a problem, with McStay out and Johnson and Reef fighting for the same spot we have the always injured Kreuger and Frampton playing up forward.
Most teams are in the same boat in terms of kpp depth. You just can't afford to have a $600,000+ player as depth waiting in the wings in the ressies in case your first choice gets injured. And that's how much it costs for a reliable proven AFL standard tall.

Gws if they lost Taylor and Hogan?
Brissy without Daniher and Andrews?
Carlton without Weitering?
Sydney without McCartin and McDonald?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How is picking a proven AFL player over a draftee flawed?

Exactly.

You have to have an outlier season to win a flag, so if you have a team capable of winning one, and the opportunity presents to pick up a player who clearly is best-22 for you, for a first-round pick which is likely late, it’s more than justifiable.

That doesn’t even take into consideration that you could slide down the ladder, get an early pick and still get a Scharenberg or Freeman.

And that at Schultz’ age, he should still play for us for a long time.

Might be reading this wrong but you seem to have a lot of doubts about us and you’re usually very positive.
Hopefully we can turn it around, but the last 2 games havent exactly been inspiring tbf.
But if we turn this around quick, then we are back in it. This week is a huge game

Last edited:
The answer isn’t yes or no
There’s context

It’s not flawed if
  • you achieve the result you need (a shot at the flag)
  • they play for for a number of years and contribute
  • you pay fair price

It is if
  • it prevents your ability to trade in top-line talent
  • it prevents you from drafting high quality talent if you slide down the ladder
  • it prevents you from using the pick to trade up or into following year for high end talent

My feeling is this, and I wrote this in a number of posts during the trade period past
You have to trade both in and out at true value

Others can have diff opinions, that’s fine, I just hated the cost. Very happy to have Schultz. But I’d have walked away from the trade if a future first had to be included.
We could have used the 2nd we drafted out to secure Collard - if he buys in we have a great player for years, if he wants out we get a return on our investment from the teams he requests a trade to — and we still have a new forward speed / pressure option

I’d always make this clear to players we’re interest in. We’ll do everything in our power to get them in, but there’s a point that their existing club may insist upon that we can’t meet

I was furious at the Ollie trade - I’d have walked away
We’d have got Titch somehow, Hawks wanted him gone
I was furious at Ginni trade

Our trading in 22 was so good bc we paid value / slightly overs (perceived at the time) - but the picks traded out didn’t inhibit our future trading / drafting

Edit. FWIW, I still think we’ll make finals, still think we have a good team.
My beef is with the trade in / trade out values over the past 10 years

Remove this Banner Ad

Back