List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade & FA 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

It's not the 0-2 that's the problem, the problem is that both our opponents completely dismantled us and we looked terrible in the forward line and defense.

Time is running out to fix things, we won't make the top 4 if we start 0-4.
We've played 2 matches. Did you even read my post?

We’re 2 games in to the year, making up percentage at this point isn’t a worry. A few wins on the board will change that number dramatically.
What we’ve done exceedingly well under Fly is win the “should win” one’s (I’ve got us dropping 2 since he started). I’d say that’s 4 of the next 5 which I believe leaves us with a crunch top 4 match v Carlton.

The big one is this week though because I can’t see us beating Brisbane up there. A 1-3 start can be excused with losses v 3 of the best teams in it, but an 0-4 start isn’t about maths it’s the psychology of being the biggest club in town, the reigning premier and so far back. I think Sydney in the 10’s is the only team in the top 8 era to come back from 0-4 (they were 0-6 from memory).

My take is more positive.

Ollie one was tough. We got unders but do you try to keep a bloke who is so adamant that he doesn't want to be there? Not trading either got us nothing or the potential of a disgruntled player.

No idea how good Schultz is, but if the pundits are right, we got above par return for a pick you'd value in the mid to high teens and also bolstered our current team whilst in the window.

Hawthorn are s**t. I think the value for Ginni was fine and that we'll get an early second round pick which will be handy.
In the industry, walking to the pre-season draft is the issue. We made the best out of it. I hate the stupid pro-player trading rules. If we had it our way, Matt Rowell would be at Collingwood and we wouldn’t be playing Treloar’s salary.

With Ginni, we wanted that culture killer gone. We didn’t push him out - we encouraged him to explore options. Very different. He’s talented but if you cross the very forgiving Fly too many times, you’ll find yourself out of the AFL or at another club.

In the industry, walking to the pre-season draft is the issue. We made the best out of it. I hate the stupid pro-player trading rules. If we had it our way, Matt Rowell would be at Collingwood and we wouldn’t be playing Treloar’s salary.

With Ginni, we wanted that culture killer gone. We didn’t push him out - we encouraged him to explore options. Very different. He’s talented but if you cross the very forgiving Fly too many times, you’ll find yourself out of the AFL or at another club.
Culture killer? Our spirit and unity were off the charts with Ginni on the list. What did he kill?

That’s not true, it does consider opportunity cost, although I only mentioned what we could acquire in the draft as opposed to future trade.

It obviously depends on what talent you consider likely to be available, and how they grade the talent internally. You’re essentially saying we shouldn’t trade in Schultz now because we may be able to trade in JUH/Holmes/Smith etc. later. Maybe we don’t consider JUH gettable, or maybe we think Schultz for his combined (trade price + salary cap %) is worth similarly or more than Smith at his (on projection).

I am choosing to think of it as using up a likely late first to repay the likes of Pendlebury, Sidebottom and Howe while they still have a little more gas in the tank. I like Schultz as a player, I like what he brings, and I like how he fits into our gamestyle under Fly… and he’s not a short-term acquisition, he should be a mainstay now for a long while.

If we had traded out last year's first and second for Schultz, it could have been ok as the downside was capped. The moment we traded this year's first we just opened ourselves up to unlimited downside with a very capped upside. There's no guarantee it's a late first. What's stopping us having a year like 2021 and that pick becomes a pick 2?

I'm totally for topping up to give the likes of Pendles/Sidey another chance at it. The way to do that is target older 29yo+ guns from other teams that are going for cheap. Like what we did with Tom Mitchell. Like what Sydney did last year with Grundy and Adams.

We were linked with Jack Billings last year. He should've been the main target once Freo demanded our future first. Melb got him for a future 3rd without selling the farm and he's already having more of an impact than Schultz.

Last edited:
.... Yep we will beat Brisbane in Brisbane...m
strength confidence GIF

We were linked with Jack Billings last year. He should've been the main target once Freo demanded our future first. Melb got him for a future 3rd without selling the farm and he's already having more of an impact than Schultz.
Schultz was very involved but lacked the finish in round 0, and then kicked two goals this week. I’m not concerned about him at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep. This year with so many great interstate teams you really have to finish top 2 to have a decent chance at the flag. Finishing top 2 is almost impossible if you start 0-3.
even top 4 shaky ground. And wipe it out if you go 0-4. Even 1-3 you can almost rule out top 4, and without top 4, you wont win a flag (except in rare cases)

even top 4 shaky ground. And wipe it out if you go 0-4. Even 1-3 you can almost rule out top 4, and without top 4, you wont win a flag (except in rare cases)
Giants came within a point of playing in a GF & weren't top 4. Doggies won one after finishing 7th, didn't they? Of course it can be done. We've lost to two of the best sides in the comp.

Port & Dee's finished in the top 4 last year.. didn't guarantee anything for them.

Hope the players haven't given up as easily & get their heads right this week.

Giants came within a point of playing in a GF & weren't top 4. Doggies won one after finishing 7th, didn't they? Of course it can be done. We've lost to two of the best sides in the comp.

Yeah, those things can happen, but probably rare.
I mean they were just learning a new system and it just clicked and they did well in finals, coming from 7th.

It gets harder the more even the comp gets. You'd have to go on a recent run. Guessing you need 14 wins for top 4. You wouldnt want to lose too many.

2023, we lost 5
Lions lost 6
Dees lost 7

Lose anymore than that, top 4 isnt achieveable
Flags become harder outside the top 4. Dogs only one that have done it.

Port & Dee's finished in the top 4 last year.. didn't guarantee anything for them.

Might as well give up according to some on here.

And the giants would have made the GF and probably won it if they had a home prelim.

They would have gotten a home prelim if they finished higher.

Top 4 is very important. This year, top 2 is very important. You wanna play an away prelim against Brisbane at the Gabba, or GWS in Sydney instead of the MCG?

And the giants would have made the GF and probably won it if they had a home prelim.

They would have gotten a home prelim if they finished higher.

Top 4 is very important. This year, top 2 is very important. You wanna play an away prelim against Brisbane at the Gabba, or GWS in Sydney instead of the MCG?
But they didn't, yet they still got within a point of playing in a GF.

I'm just going with the old cliche of one game at a time. Saints is all we should be worried about at this stage. As for top 4, top 8, making a GF...let's cross that bridge when we get to it.

I just find it all a bit ridiculous to be worried about finals when we've only played 2 matches.

And arguably against the 2 sides we expect to be there at the end.

Who knows if they can keep up this standard during a very long season.

Giants came within a point of playing in a GF & weren't top 4.
Giants weren’t the exception, they were the rule. They were a very strong team all over the park, came in with perhaps the best form close to finals, and failed to make the Granny.

Had they finished top four, they probably would have made it. The fact that they didn’t simply proves the rule.

Giants weren’t the exception, they were the rule. They were a very strong team all over the park, came in with perhaps the best form close to finals, and failed to make the Granny.

Had they finished top four, they probably would have made it. The fact that they didn’t simply proves the rule.
And yet they still only missed playing in a GF by a point.

Who knows whether they can keep this up all year.

It will be a long time for them to be playing at this standard.

Port & Dee's finished top 4. Pfft.

And yet they still only missed playing in a GF by a point.

Who knows whether they can keep this up all year.

It will be a long time for them to be playing at this standard.

Port & Dee's finished top 4. Pfft.

You’re citing the Giants as an example to strengthen your argument, but it actually strengthens his.

The Giants were a really good team with great form, who still couldn’t progress because they didn’t have home ground advantage, a double chance or a week off.

When is a stronger team going to finish outside the top four? Might be waiting a while.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back