Preview Collingwood v Port Adelaide, 25 March, 1.45pm MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And there you go -- in the preview last week, I suggested there were lots of questions to be answered about the Mighty Magpies. The game against Geelong has answered almost all of them. Our clearance work is better thanks to Mitchell. Bobby Hill will make an impact. Our game plan holds up and is well suited to our players, and it holds up even under severe pressure. Jordan DeGoey is likely to to rise to his talent level and dominate the competition. Most importantly -- we are one of the best teams in the comp. Yes, yes, it's only one game in a long season, but it was enough evidence for me. Let's bask in the glory a little.

Still, there was one huge downer during the stellar night. The greatest mark the game has seen, Jeremy Howe, flew kamikaze-style into a spoil. He shot through the air horizontally, like a missile, and when he crashed do the ground he shattered his arm. This is a heavy blow. Howe has defied age. He leaps like a cat, he possesses incredible pace, he intercepts to start shredding counterattacks with his two-sided elite disposal. He helps organise us with his onfield leadership. We can only hope he's back before too long.

Which means.... step up Billy Frampton (sorry Kelly, I've given up on you for the moment). Murphy takes Howe's more intercepting role and Frampton takes Murphy's more lockdown one.

We still have enviable depth which will hold us in good stead for a while yet.

Opponents: The Power

The Power are a strange team. A newcomer to the competition, there's no traditional hate between us. I don't harbour long-held vendettas against them for rodent-like, deceitful, morally repugnant, behaviour (yes Carlton, I'm pointing the bone at you). But they do seem to possess some odious personalities. Kane Cornes is a professional stirrer, a kind of shock jock of football, minus the politics. I hated him as a player, but now he's more like an annoyance, the buzzing of a mosquito in my ear at night. And their President, the loathsome, middle-brow, out-of-touch, egotistical Koshi.? A morning TV presenter as President? I feel sorry for Port's coach.

What about the current team? They have a great interceptor in Alir, a good key forward in Dixon, wild-cards in Georgiades and Rioli, some inside bulls in Wines and Powell-Pepper, some elite young talent with Butters, Rozee and Horne-Francis. They were excellent at home against a highly-touted Brisbane, doing the Lions down and by doing so, proving their upper level is elite. And yet, and yet, I still don't quite know what they are. I suppose another way of looking at it is that they're pretty good at everything. They look like they'll be battling with a bunch of teams for a top-four spot.

This game then is going to ask a few more questions of us: Will McStay actually be the player we hope? He was great in the pre-season but his performance against Geelong was disappointing. Will the Cox/Cameron duo continue to fight the good fight? They were solid against Geelong but here they should be better, before the real tests come. How will the backline go without Howe? Will our better clearance work hold steady?

The Washup

The game's at the MCG, we're in stellar form, and the Power are surging but can we trust them? About as much as we can trust Kreepy Koshi and Shock-Jock Kane.

The Pies by 13 points!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Obviously in Frampton out Howe.
Murphy to slide over and play the Howe role which he was going to do when Howe retired so he’s just doing it earlier.

The tricky one is WHE and Reef, maybe they swap around for the Sub but I don’t think any other changes. Obviously there’s the VFL praccy match tomorrow but I wouldn’t take much notice if form in that considering the weather. Anyway we won’t know any details of the game because the media team will ignore it and put out another YouTube short of something no one gives a crap about.

Not of a mind to think about things too much right now.

All I know is that I'm looking forward to Reef getting a full game.
He was lively, right place right…not a coincidence is my feel. Knows how to play.

A tall will give us better balance as a replacement for Howe. I’ll back the coaches on who they select but my bet is Frampton.

Sideys start was terrible with Tuohy kicking two and he made a few other mistakes but i thought he was ok.
You blaming Sidey for those first two goals. They happened because of Sideys fantastic running - Tuohy could nearly keep up because it was the first 5 minutes of the game, but had to be shifted not long after.

You blaming Sidey for those first two goals. They happened because of Sideys fantastic running - Tuohy could nearly keep up because it was the first 5 minutes of the game, but had to be shifted not long after.

Didn’t noble kick one straight to touhy? Hardly Sideys fault

I think we’ll give WHE another week, but he certainly butchered the pill tonight.

Did WHE do enough in the 2nd half to redeem his atrocious first half?

I doubt we will drop WHE because of one bad half: internally he’s rated.
WHE won’t be dropped.

I think people are right that he is somewhat rated, but I'm concerned that we need to make the "hard" decision to move on from him as a starter if we are going to win a flag.

I see him run and link sometimes.

I don't see him break lines with speed.

I see him occasionally drop forward and kick a goal.

I see him chase and try in vain to pressure when the opposition has the ball.

I see tackles than seldom stick.

I see him lose most 1:1s including when his man runs forward.

What I really struggle with is the turnovers and clangers that often lead to goals against and if we are on a break, they can also be 12 point turnarounds.

The clangers kill our structure quicker than anything.

What's the point of in a link man who is the weakest link?

I think people are right that he is somewhat rated, but I'm concerned that we need to make the "hard" decision to move on from him as a starter if we are going to win a flag.

I see him run and link sometimes.

I don't see him break lines with speed.

I see him occasionally drop forward and kick a goal.

I see him chase and try in vain to pressure when the opposition has the ball.

I see tackles than seldom stick.

I see him lose most 1:1s including when his man runs forward.

What I really struggle with is the turnovers and clangers that often lead to goals against and if we are on a break, they can also be 12 point turnarounds.

The clangers kill our structure quicker than anything.

What's the point of in a link man who is the weakest link?
WHE doesn't usually do many clangers.

A wonderful victory! God, but it was wonderful to be part of the mightiest army on the face of the planet again!

The biggest disappointment for mine wasn't WHE; it was IQ; he seemed pretty ineffectual throughout, especially given the preseason hype around his improved physique and fitness. Not sure what to do about this, though. Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back