Game Day Round 15: Collingwood vs. Adelaide, MCG Sun 25 June 1:10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 16, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
A breath after a rolling, wild, stormy, combative half of the year. All of us would have taken our ladder position at the start of the year. But interesting questions remain. I guess there are always going to be questions, right until the premiership is won. But let's have a look at the ones which face us looking into the second half of the year.

The first and most glaring is about our forward line. Just what should it look like? Most of us would have had McStay in the 22 at the start of the year, even if he's mostly a workhorse. Mihocek is brave, stoic, competitive, a marvel. But we've known for years that he needs help. The loss to Melbourne highlighted that this is, indeed, one of our weaknesses -- especially in mid-winter when the tracks are slower. Lever, May and Gawn did us bad down the line.

The football department brought McStay in for just this reason. It's the right thought, whether McStay is the right player is yet to be proven. His early games were disappointing after a fine pre-season. So it's over to McStay to make it work because we need a hard-working leading forward to come down the line for the bail-out kick.

What this allows is for us to play 2 styles: 1. the kamikaze counter-attack which we've made so famous and 2. A slower style that can still compete if the ball is sent long down the line. Without this flexibility, we might struggle.

Second: McStay comes in, but who goes out? We were cooked like a pheasant in the hit-outs by Gawn and Grundy when we lost to Melbourne. So I don't get attacked, let me defer to Brenton Sanderson on this: “But this is five games in a row that they've [Collingwood] lost clearance head-to-head, and Cox and Cameron got really badly beaten in hit outs in this game. We know that that wasn't their strength last year either, they didn't win clearance last year, but five games in a row now they've lost clearance head-to-head. So that's a slight concern, that has to be a focus.” (Regular readers will remember that I suggested Melbourne would get us on the inside in my last preview, and so it proved to be).

The way I see it, we make a choice of Cameron or Johnson in the 22. When McStay comes in, there's a decent chance either of them might drop out. I'd be happy to see how they all go together for a couple of games, but that means Johnson has to develop into a more rounded footballer. At the moment it's mark or bust. He'll have a short career if he doesn't remedy that.

My guess: Johnson will be replaced by McStay. But it's just a guess.

Having said that, come the finals, the weather improves and our slick ball movement comes to the fore again. We won't have to go down he line quite as much.

Third: How will we go with injuries, suspensions and form of individuals? Here I'm thinking Howe, who makes us a better team, De Goey, who is crucial, Ginnivan, who has the blues and whose athletic limitations are really hurting him. Speed kills. Lack of speed sends you to the VFL. We've done okay on the injury front but we all know the impact when too many elite players go down.

Versus Adelaide at the G this week

Adelaide are a good team. They're hard. They move the ball beautifully. Rachele, Isak Rankine, Walker, Dawson -- they have quality. But I have no fears for us this week. Yes it'll be combative, but the week off will have done a universe of good. It's at the G. Everyone will be refreshed. We may again lose the clearances but that's where Adelaide's dominance will end.

They're a good team but we're an elite team.

The Washup

The Magpies by 15 points in a rebound performance that will tell us a lot about how our team is going to look heading forward.

I don’t get the constant advocacy for dumping Johnson for Kreuger.
Kreuger has looked lucky, rather than controlled and deliberate in how he approaches the fwd craft.
His aggression is definitely a positive, but his blind leaping at unmarkable kicks shows a lack of team first discipline.
Until he can develop discipline and a team first approach I’d be inclined to let him play VFL.
Let him build his game there, and develop some more confidence and cogency in his fwd play and then we’ll know he’s ready.

Johnson was clearly hampered by the bad cork he coped against WC, so he should be forgiven for his last performance.

Last edited:

Kreuger has looked lucky, rather than controlled and deliberate in how he approaches the fwd craft.
His aggression is definitely a positive, but his blind leaping at unmarkable kicks shows a lack of team first discipline.
Until he can develop discipline and a team first approach I’d be inclined to let him play VFL.
Let him build his game there, and develop some more confidence and cogency in his fwd play and then we’ll know he’s ready.

Johnson was clearly hampered by the bad caulk he coped against WC, so he should be forgiven for his last performance.

Yeah, I agree re Kreuger - think he should put together another month in the VFL before he's considered. But McStay I think is the issue. I'd give McStay a run in the VFL myself, but McRae said he'd come straight in and he did the same with Lipinski.

Yeah, I agree re Kreuger - think he should put together another month in the VFL before he's considered. But McStay I think is the issue. I'd give McStay a run in the VFL myself, but McRae said he'd come straight in and he did the same with Lipinski.
Agree. Krueger needs a block of footy in the VFL to find some form and see if he can remain injury free. I don't want to see him come back with limited preparation. I want to see him set up to succeed.

Johnson was clearly hampered by the bad caulk he coped against WC, so he should be forgiven for his last performance.
I asked the bloke at the hardware store for some caulk.. I have never pronounced the letter L so much in my life...

Suspect Elliott won't get up seeing as though he's still not partaking in full training, and obviously McStay is still out.

In: Kreuger
Out: McInnes

Markov stays the sub

Not sure where Ginnivan is at TBH
Yup, not ideal prep for kreuger with the bye as well, but he was impressive in the vfl. I’d bring him in if only to bring the ball to ground

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Suspect Elliott won't get up seeing as though he's still not partaking in full training, and obviously McStay is still out.

In: Kreuger
Out: McInnes

Markov stays the sub

Not sure where Ginnivan is
Cameron out for me. Go with Cox as sole ruck, think he plays better than when he shares it.
Harrison out as well, yes he has performed better than McInness but I feel like reef keeps having almost games and would like to see him have a month in the team to show something.
Kreuger in. Didn't really want this, wanted to see a month in vfl without injury but limited options with mcstay out.
Ginnivan in, still one of our better players at setting up opportunities, just needs to get more involved.
Swap Markov and ruscoe as sub

Cameron out for me. Go with Cox as sole ruck, think he plays better than when he shares it.
Harrison out as well, yes he has performed better than McInness but I feel like reef keeps having almost games and would like to see him have a month in the team to show something.
Kreuger in. Didn't really want this, wanted to see a month in vfl without injury but limited options with mcstay out.
Ginnivan in, still one of our better players at setting up opportunities, just needs to get more involved.
Swap Markov and ruscoe as sub
I really like this. I would have HH as sub. I don't see a role for Markov or Ruscoe this week and probably needs a game in the VFL

Disappointing that neither McStay nor Elliott is likely to get up for this game.

Surely Krueger needs a few more weeks of (injury-free) dominance in the VFL to force his way in? Besides, playing all of Cox, Cameron, Mihochek and Krueger feels too tall to me.

So, what does all that add up to?

Probably no changes, other than a swap of the sub role, with Markov back in the starting 22 and either Harrison or Reef wearing the sub's vest. Reef and AJ both lucky to be retained. They'd both want to put in strong showings this week, with Elliott presumably only one more week away from coming back in.

Johnson was clearly hampered by the bad cork he coped against WC, so he should be forgiven for his last performance.
Johnson is very droppable, he was deplorable against the Dees. Kreuger will at least compete for the ball and lay a tackle, the opposition will know he’s on the field even if he doesn’t get a stat. He’s the forward we are missing and I’d rather give him some games to see if he can find some form. We know what we get from Johnson, he’s a down hill skier. When the games in the balance, when the team isn’t on top he goes missing. He dropped two sitters last game, cost two goals…so yes I’m advocating for form. Kreuger in Johnson Out!

Disappointing that neither McStay nor Elliott is likely to get up for this game.

Surely Krueger needs a few more weeks of (injury-free) dominance in the VFL to force his way in? Besides, playing all of Cox, Cameron, Mihochek and Krueger feels too tall to me.

So, what does all that add up to?

Probably no changes, other than a swap of the sub role, with Markov back in the starting 22 and either Harrison or Reef wearing the sub's vest. Reef and AJ both lucky to be retained. They'd both want to put in strong showings this week, with Elliott presumably only one more week away from coming back in.

I agree.

Surprised about Elliot. I mean jesus, what's wrong, did his shoulder fall off again?

I agree.

Surprised about Elliot. I mean jesus, what's wrong, did his shoulder fall off again?

Yes. We’ve come to enjoy and rely on Elliott being a key part of our forward line over the last couple of years but gee he was injured a lot prior to that. Hopefully not returning to previous misfortune. Despite winning most matches, I feel we’ve really missed his small-but-plays-tall sharpshooting, strong-tackling contribution this season. We need him back for finals.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It's interesting that we've had a poster saying they've heard we're really concerned about Elliott's shoulder... and crickets from the club.

Then next minute he's not named for WCE and then it's relayed as though he's likely to just miss maybe just week with the trip to Perth. And now it's really likely he misses a third match plus the bye with a shoulder we still really know nothing about.

I'm not sure if this is a lack of Wade providing injury updates or if they're just trying to let his shoulder heal and they truly have no idea on a timeline... but based on previous happenings at our club it's only a matter of time before the club suddenly comes out and says it's season over with a shoulder reco or something outrageous!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back