Autopsy Come and stay for the Hayward show 48 point win vs Fremantle.

Remove this Banner Ad

It looked like we barely got out of second gear. We guaranteed the win with elite uncontested kicking which is smart but I felt if we played on / chaos balled it we would have smashed them as well. Scary stuff.

One slight concern:

After the game all the players wander over and hand out footies to the Swans fans.

As they came over, Melican was walking like an 80 year old in need of a Zimmer frame.

Didn’t appear to be a hammy or anything - he just looked like a bloke that was banged up and really, really sore.

One slight concern:

After the game all the players wander over and hand out footies to the Swans fans.

As they came over, Melican was walking like an 80 year old in need of a Zimmer frame.

Didn’t appear to be a hammy or anything - he just looked like a bloke that was banged up and really, really sore.
He spent time down the race.

Just got home from the game.

I must admit, I saw it a bit different to most.

I didn’t see “manic Sydney pressure” as the press has reported. Instead, I saw a Freo side playing an aggressive running game that troubled us - but it did enable us to punish them on turnover.

And if it wasn’t for their wonky goal kicking, the score would have been very close at half time. It was not a dominant performance by Sydney.

Main positive for me - I’m now a JJ convert. He ran with Clarke, as well as spending some time on Young and O’Meara. And whoever he played on struggled.

The only question - can he offer more than a negating role? If he can - he’s going to be a real asset for plenty of years.

And Warner looked incredibly good when he played forward.

I found it curious that Sydney clearly saw Young and Clarke as the key men to contain - not Serong.

Overall, a solid win, but not a dominant win.
My assessment exactly. Hard to gauge our performance ie. Freo emotionally affected (and rightly so) yet winning in Perth is a tough ask. Overall bag the pts and move on to Carlton, whose mids and forward line I think will cause us a s**t ton of trouble. If we can somehow strangle Cripps and that number 18 chap who has drunk too much koolaid, and put up a solid W, the lid will be truly off for me.

Absolutely loved the McInerney Clark stoush. Where McInerney gave away a free being aggressive, the. Clark gave the kick back and Justin sprinted away to set up Warner's goal. Was just an example of that aggressive arrogant refuse to be beaten in any moment attitude.

God I hope TMac is back next week, Francis was a complete liability last night. Running 40m off his man to try and impact the contest, miss the ball, and then be woefully out of position
Yep. Woeful. Other Passengers: Papley, Roberts (amazing kick yet got schooled on several occasions when defending - can’t have that in your game). The rest of the team was really good in my view.

It's a shame to say but unless there is a mass injury crisis, personally don't wanna see Parker back. Watching in the vfl it's like he has concrete boots. He is so slow now. Our midfield unit in the seniors are fast paced and highly skilled, unfortunately as great as Parker has been , those are not his greatest traits

(Log in to remove this ad.)

as a swans fan, you learn not to take things for granted, the best word(s) to describe the experience over many years is "nail-biting", and that's been at our best
but this team is something different ...
i got up this morning thinking "geez, i can't wait to see these guys play again ... how long away is it?"
we'd be the envy of other teams' fans because of the exhilarating way we play
even when we're not really on song, as was the case for parts of last night, we can so quickly take a game away from the opposition, even if they're not playing badly ...
last night we were clinical, yet still quite brilliant ...
and you never know when it might start ... every time we're in possession, anywhere on the field, there's that feeling of fireworks coming
anyone remember in those old western shows and movies, when the bad guys would lay a long trail of gunpowder and set it alight? that's like this team now and their attacking potential, just waiting to be ignited
i've never felt quite like this as a swans fan ... long may it continue

Last edited:
One slight concern:

he had a few hard collisions/contest, one I thought may have ended his night at the time

A most un-Swans like 10 goals straight to start the game, plus a very Swans like defensive pressure set the stage for the win.
Wilbur is playing like a player chasing a new contract, hopefully we will see more of that as the season progresses.
Seems the umps had gone from paying kicks less than 15m as marks, to kicks less than 20m as play on , plus an over reaction to htb , but the Swans were able to adapt to the interpretations.
Another pleasing spread of goal kickers , to go with the 4 from Wilbur, Grundy dominate in the ruck.
Looked to be some banged up bodies after the game, so hopefully the 7 day break will be beneficial ahead of the Carlton game.

Amartey showed a bit tonight. If he puts all his tools together he can be an absolute weapon.
As a part of the forward structure he is already a weapon. I think our forward line is very strong. They kick over 60% of our scores which is high. Only Carlton have higher but through only two forwards. Stop those two, crunch Crips, end of story.

On CPH2471 using BigFooty.com mobile app

What I found startling was just how much ground our players covered, and how quickly they bounced up from being involved in a tackle. I know this is summarised as “work-rate”, but it’s really impressive to see in real life. I supposed I expected our smaller players to bounce around quickly, but to see Hayden MacLean be involved in a tackle, then to be in a position to receive the next kick was impressive.

Felt it was only missing one game this year too, which we lost.

Yeah a few with egg on their face over Hayward. Absolute star.
I have always been a fan. I knew what he could do from watching his junior tapes. While games in finals. In the U18's he kicked 9 goals in a prelim to get his team, North, into the GF. They lost the GF by 1 point & he kicked 4 out of 7. Always dangerous. He has a natural knack of finding a goal. I think the Forwards Coach is allowing him off the leash more this year. I believe his development has been hampered by having to shut down defenders. He is a dangerous player if allowed to play his natural game.

The thing is, we have so many dangerous forwards. If you clamp Wil down, then Amartey or McLean get off the leash by having the third tall. Amartey has shown on two occasions already he will destroy a third tall. Then they have to keep Paps, Wicks or the resting Adams, Heeney or Chad. That is effing hard.

Then there is the fact that our mids are kicking over 40% of scores. They hit the scoreboard. Lloydy, Maca, Gulden etc are very effing dangerous

I think it’s becoming more & more apparent that the team was probably affected by illness that week.

It’s the only plausible explanation.

Teams play s**t sometimes bound to lose a few more and look crap.

I have always been a fan. I knew what he could do from watching his junior tapes. While games in finals. In the U18's he kicked 9 goals in a prelim to get his team, North, into the GF. They lost the GF by 1 point & he kicked 4 out of 7. Always dangerous. He has a natural knack of finding a goal. I think the Forwards Coach is allowing him off the leash more this year. I believe his development has been hampered by having to shut down defenders. He is a dangerous player if allowed to play his natural game.

The thing is, we have so many dangerous forwards. If you clamp Wil down, then Amartey or McLean get off the leash by having the third tall. Amartey has shown on two occasions already he will destroy a third tall. Then they have to keep Paps, Wicks or the resting Adams, Heeney or Chad. That is effing hard.

Then there is the fact that our mids are kicking over 40% of scores. They hit the scoreboard. Lloydy, Maca, Gulden etc are very effing dangerous

I think you've hit the nail on the head regarding our forward line. Some like to point the finger at Amartey and Hayward because they're not taking 10 marks and kicking 4+ goals every week. If our main avenue to goal was these two, then sure, have a crack. But they are part of a unit that is kicking 100+ more often than not, with an even spread across the forward line. While we're on a roll, best to keep the consistency in our team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back