Opinion Commentary & Media III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it counterproductive though?

Just because drug abuse is a society-wide problem, or racism is a society-wide problem, or problem gambling is a society-wide problem doesn't mean AFL clubs should turn a blind eye while their employees fall victim to any of these issues, potentially impacting their ability to do their job. Granted, naming names might not be productive, but I don't see how shining a light on the matter and forcing clubs to give attention to it can be more harmful. After all, a gambling problem can potentially impact a football player more than your average punter as it could open up integrity issues. Likewise, a drug problem could impact the player's ability to perform, and a racism problem could affect relationships with teammates. I don't have any concern about a football club enforcing stricter behavioural codes and protocols, and providing better counseling and guidance on these matters because it directly affects performance.

Its not helping those people publicly identified as having a problem is it?

That's the point he was making, well i think so anyway.

These are issues for people across the country and the AFL is contributing to them by jamming this gambling bullshit down our throats all the time.

Don't like the way gambling is going myself. Once upon a time it was a relatively social activity built around millenia old ritual activity or physical competition. Then along came pokies and that social aspect went out the window while addictive trance induction machines drained the cash out of vulnerable nervous systems. Mobiles phones are even worse on that front. And you don't even need to leave the house, car or whatever to do it. At least you have to go outside and travel to access pokies so you get some exposure to life and the world. Don't like my kids being exposed to that either. They aren't allowed to see adds for durries. Its not like it isn't on all the *en time.

Expect them to take the piss out of him for belting the bloke at the footy.

They will try to take advantage of Arch's "nice & sedate" public persona. I hope he turns on the Manson lamps the minute they pull this crap this time. You watch them shrivel up then.

Isn't it amazing what can happen when you simplify football and play to our strengths?

............still ****ing fuming......:mad:

A diploma in coaching and "sports sciences" seems to be taking away from the basics of footy.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

It's probably been infiltrated with psuedo-science garbage like most other human interaction disciplines these days.

If's and buts...
BUT, if we had beaten Hawks and * (two ***** teams outside the top 8) plus not been thumped by Freo and we would be playing for a spot in the top 4 this weekend.

Brisbane on our home deck after being in a winnable position.

If's and buts and a wasted year.

Brisbane on our home deck after being in a winnable position.

If's and buts and a wasted year.
There was a really depressing feeling of inevitability about that game.

Question: while for the record, I was on the 'Brad Scott needs to move on bandwagon,' has anybody got any info on whether King, McKernan, Carey etc. are scaling up their involvement with the club? Or were they content to stoke the fires of a coup and then retreat back to media street?

Its not helping those people publicly identified as having a problem is it?

That's the point he was making, well i think so anyway.

These are issues for people across the country and the AFL is contributing to them by jamming this gambling ******** down our throats all the time.

Don't like the way gambling is going myself. Once upon a time it was a relatively social activity built around millenia old ritual activity or physical competition. Then along came pokies and that social aspect went out the window while addictive trance induction machines drained the cash out of vulnerable nervous systems. Mobiles phones are even worse on that front. And you don't even need to leave the house, car or whatever to do it. At least you have to go outside and travel to access pokies so you get some exposure to life and the world. Don't like my kids being exposed to that either. They aren't allowed to see adds for durries. Its not like it isn't on all the ****en time.

I wonder if anyone can explain that sports betting ad where people are walking down the street placing a bet on their phone and they suddenly evaporate. Is that seriously supposed to make me want to bet on sports?

If's and buts...
BUT, if we had beaten Hawks and * (two ***** teams outside the top 8) plus not been thumped by Freo and we would be playing for a spot in the top 4 this weekend.

Of course, you can't have the success of the last 3 weeks without the failure of the first 9 weeks as that would mean Braddles was still coaching with his elaborate system.

Question: while for the record, I was on the 'Brad Scott needs to move on bandwagon,' has anybody got any info on whether King, McKernan, Carey etc. are scaling up their involvement with the club? Or were they content to stoke the fires of a coup and then retreat back to media street?

An interesting, although one sided view of events.

Why is the onus only on these people? Wouldn't the board and/or existing football department have to be open to it in the first place? Have they made contact to get them involved?

The ‘99 reunion might help to get them more involved.

Attachments

• B6101277-9E93-4374-96A7-F9B4DE11733B.jpeg
    B6101277-9E93-4374-96A7-F9B4DE11733B.jpeg
    147.7 KB · Views: 242
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back