Opinion Commentary & Media III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

schwatta completely on the money ( no pun intended ) with regards to the the players betting saga,

problem gambling is a society wide problem and not confined to players. it is no an AFL problem its a national problem.

I know plenty of people with betting problems and media trying to boost circulation by isolating a few players with gambling problems from the rest of society is counter productive.

Agree is society wide. I was watching 360 last night and there was a lengthy conversation with Fagan and Cameron. Both said it was something that is continually addressed at their clubs and an issue with in the industry. Cut to add break and there's 2 gambling adds!

schwatta completely on the money ( no pun intended ) with regards to the the players betting saga,

problem gambling is a society wide problem and not confined to players. it is no an AFL problem its a national problem.

I know plenty of people with betting problems and media trying to boost circulation by isolating a few players with gambling problems from the rest of society is counter productive.

Is it counterproductive though?

Just because drug abuse is a society-wide problem, or racism is a society-wide problem, or problem gambling is a society-wide problem doesn't mean AFL clubs should turn a blind eye while their employees fall victim to any of these issues, potentially impacting their ability to do their job. Granted, naming names might not be productive, but I don't see how shining a light on the matter and forcing clubs to give attention to it can be more harmful. After all, a gambling problem can potentially impact a football player more than your average punter as it could open up integrity issues. Likewise, a drug problem could impact the player's ability to perform, and a racism problem could affect relationships with teammates. I don't have any concern about a football club enforcing stricter behavioural codes and protocols, and providing better counseling and guidance on these matters because it directly affects performance.

Is it counterproductive though?

Just because drug abuse is a society-wide problem, or racism is a society-wide problem, or problem gambling is a society-wide problem doesn't mean AFL clubs should turn a blind eye while their employees fall victim to any of these issues, potentially impacting their ability to do their job. Granted, naming names might not be productive, but I don't see how shining a light on the matter and forcing clubs to give attention to it can be more harmful. After all, a gambling problem can potentially impact a football player more than your average punter as it could open up integrity issues. Likewise, a drug problem could impact the player's ability to perform, and a racism problem could affect relationships with teammates. I don't have any concern about a football club enforcing stricter behavioural codes and protocols, and providing better counseling and guidance on these matters because it directly affects performance.

I must’ve missed those particular ad breaks during AFL games where I was encouraged to take illegal substances or download an app to allow me to be racist on any device.

How the **** can Robbo not have Cunners in his side?!! Tazza too? Popularity contest.

View attachment 690033
Agreed that Cunners should be in there, but in Robbo’s defence he has long been on of Cunnington’s fans. Way back he was almost the only one outside the club giving him any recognition online.

I must’ve missed those particular ad breaks during AFL games where I was encouraged to take illegal substances or download an app to allow me to be racist on any device.
Lot of ads out there that make me want to take illegal substances to forget/drown them out, but thats probably not the same.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed that Cunners should be in there, but in Robbo’s defence he has long been on of Cunnington’s fans. Way back he was almost the only one outside the club giving him any recognition online.
Actions talk bullpoop walks

He doesn't seem interested in coaching Carton nor the potential vacancy at St.Kilda, I'm starting to think that he wants the North job.

Wouldn't you? We have a bloody good list and the right mix of yoof and experience to do something about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back