Opinion NMFC Board Cricket Thread III - Shield Final WA v Tas

Remove this Banner Ad

Captain Ben Stokes says anyone writing him or his England team off after their 4-1 series defeat in India does so " at your own peril "

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

The last team to beat India in India was England in 2012, before that was the great Australian team of 2004.

Basically, everyone loses to India, so this doesn't mean all that much, tbh.

Ffs Smith is cooked as an opener. Wtf is with the shuffling so far across the crease.
I got a bit of a bake for suggesting Smith's technique was unusual for an opener a week or so ago (which is all ok of course). He's an outstanding talent, but his method is to maximise the number of balls he hits, whereas the majority of Test openers are looking - at least at the start of their innings - to minimise the number of balls they have to play

Smiths due for a biggy.
I guess not today. I wonder how much he is regretting nominating for the vacant opener job?

279 was always going to be very challenging, but from 2 for 22 it is unlikely. We've not been good at chasing reasonable 4th innings scores and our batting has looked quite brittle ever since Smith and Marnus stopped making consistently big scores. It doesn't help when Head has stopped bailing us out either. Who is going to stand up for us this time? We need at least two of them to score heavily.

Pity we have no more tests til late in the year as both Smith and Marnus need a good hard lesson, or just be replaced.

Marnus at least got runs in the first innings. Smith is on Greg Chappel-like thin ice at the moment. Plenty of credits, but he'd want to make some runs soon.

We might need to be claiming a moral victory in this match. Not certain of any morality to justify it though. A longshot perhaps, but maybe we have the moral ascendency with respect to the superimposed on-field advertising graphic technology.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've shat the bed completely this match. Getting them all out for 180 odd only to get only 96 ahead, then letting them get 280 ahead. This team needs to take a hard look at themselves.

The issue is that there’s no batsman in shield putting any pressure on this team.
Agreed. Nothing special renshaw next in line in the squad is out of form Bancroft seems blacklisted but isn't even that good anyways, Webster maybe an option but apart from that it's not much else. Maddinson had hit some form but it's questionable aswell

I got a bit of a bake for suggesting Smith's technique was unusual for an opener a week or so ago (which is all ok of course). He's an outstanding talent, but his method is to maximise the number of balls he hits, whereas the majority of Test openers are looking - at least at the start of their innings - to minimise the number of balls they have to play
I think the problem with Smith is that he's had such great hand eye coordination but with things slowing down as hes got older, there isn't the technique to fall back on

Remove this Banner Ad

Back