Opinion Commentary & Media IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can I add an old bloke's slant to these valid points? At the end of 1972, we got Barassi as Coach, Davis as Captain, Rantall and Wade. A pretty good off season. We were all walking a lot taller that Christmas and New Year. Followed the next year by Cable returning, plus Blight.

But it is truly great to see our progress over the last few weeks. I think it is coming together nicely. Patience required, but a sense of purpose is evident.

Go Roos.
If we are going back that far then nothing will ever beat getting Horse and Duck as the steak knives in one off season.

Heard a bit of Luke Beveridge talking to SEN this morning. Part of that was a very frustrated comment about how the AFL could have taken the opportunity to reshape the off season calendar and give everyone in the game some genuine and much-needed time off, but (of course) chose timing that instead keeps the publicity machine bubbling away all year round. He also sounded very unhappy about the lack of clarity on list sizes. Said at one point that there area lot of people around the clubs feeling the way he does.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Snake I watched in full - I don't get the hmmmm.. can you elaborate?

I got the impression that he seemed to have gotten in step with the NMFC overlords fairly quickly.

I want him 100% focused on doing whatever it takes to win flags, and nothing else. I hope he is not compromised by wanting to appease them a la B. Scott. and his coaching ultimately suffers because he has to appease other issues in order to secure his longevity. Football suffers when things get to that point.

SOME blokes/teams get away with it. Yet some get pinged for 50 because they threw the ball back to the bloke with free too high and wasted about 1 second due to the hang-time of the looping throw. Others can pretend they don't know who's free it is so they look left and right with a stupid expression and the ump gives them 20 seconds before a gentle reminder.
This s**t. The nominations and waiting for appropriate rucks causethesame problems.

All these things that slow the game down to allow teams to flood back and setup defensively or get to the contest.

Ball up straight away, third person into a clear area where the rucks compete before the hit out is penalised. As soon is a free is called opposition players put the ball on the ground and leave it or hand it directly and promptly to the recipient if they are close enough. Enforce standing the mark rules properly.

... especially with the current 50m rule.

Make umpiring full time and professional with post career pathways, even outside of footy.

All this stuff would speed the game up and hamper congestion.

I get the frustration with throws but the truth is without video umpire review its really hard for on ground umpires to have clear line of sight, add that kids are taught to take the ball with one hand, steady it and punch for a handball in the one motion these days and it makes that particular rule very hard to enforce.

Maybe calling the ball back for a free from video review is the way to go. It would have a similar effect to a turnover. Players would be caught out of position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back