Roast Commentators

Remove this Banner Ad

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
I honestly never notice any bias against us and think you only would if you look for it.
All I hear is how amazing Dusty is, Grimes is, how good we are, Lunch, Rioli, Jack x2 and so on.
But Dwayne Russell I just can’t listen to him he’s just s**thouse.
The perceived bias is amplified in big close games because opposition players obviously command attention. Supporters need to realise there's two sides playing, not just Richmond.

Mar 6, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Boston Bruins, New York Giants
The perceived bias is amplified in big close games because opposition players obviously command attention. Supporters need to realise there's two sides playing, not just Richmond.

This thread reads as though most Richmond supporters can’t handle even the most minor criticism. When you realise it’s from a demographic of people that probably overuse the word snowflake because they struggle to articulate their own offence, it makes it even more pathetic.

Harden up.

AuntyBlindEye

Slick Bear
Chess Club Member EKA Medal - Sweet FA Rising Star BeanCoiNFT Investor
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Never notice an anti Richmond bias in commentary. I'm not saying a lot of commentators aren't s**t at commentating, but I think to say they actively barrack against us is a bit precious. Almost as bad as WC fans constantly talking about a vic bias. There is nothing wrong with wanting to see an underdog get up if you are neutral and even if they aren't the most exciting callers with the greatest insight, it's not like they really did anything to indicate they were desperate for us to lose. Every footy fan feels their team is hard done by and every footy fan is basically always off the mark by a while. Can we not just enjoy something?

As a wise man once said "harden up"

I honestly never notice any bias against us and think you only would if you look for it.
All I hear is how amazing Dusty is, Grimes is, how good we are, Lunch, Rioli, Jack x2 and so on.

Oooooh, Rodney has “picked our pockets” on this one as he “shakes and bakes us with his elvis hips” in the post.

Sgt Bargearse

Club Legend
Sep 29, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
This. It's not just a lack of intelligent insight. It's basic knowledge stuff that him and his colleagues can't even get right.

Just look at the last game lol He was having a giant sook about Dangerflog giving away that contact below the knees free kick. It was one of the clearest examples of the rule working. He completely took was it Brown's? knees out! He carried on for minutes.

Then there was one where a pies player had head over the ball and got a high free. He couldn't grasp it. Why isn't that contact below the knees? He kept asking it not realising that Dangerfields wasn't anywhere near his head so it literally couldn't be called for a high free. It was embarrassing.

Just because you are a physical god and can read the play instinctively with the required coordination....doesn't qualify you for talking about the game.

I don't excuse Richo from this either. He's just as awful.

Riewoldt and Judd are the only ones who have retired in the last 10 years that are qualified IMO Maybe NDS sneaks in.
League legend, Andrew Johns says if he didn't play league he'd be a stop-go man. I reckon he makes a very good point.

May 22, 2014
Punt Rd to Goodison Park
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton
The problem with commentary is too many voices, don't know why they need 2 special comments and 2 boundary riders.

And stop with the agenda of the week especially BT who seems to rabbit on about this more than most, congestion, ball ups, rule of the week, ARC.

Just commentate and if there is a dodgy free or incident call it out but then move on, no one wants 5 minutes of complaining and 6 million replays.

For Ch 7 to assign a former state cricketer in Brayshaw to commentate a QF, is treating fans with contempt.
Our game deserved more than these irrelevant token commentators whose primary concern is to make games interesting for the sake of ratings, rather than calling the game as it is by acknowledging an incredible football team.
Jobe was ok but last night was not the time to trial a commentator.

Come on mate. How good was Brayshaw when Stack sat Viney on his arse?

Cotcho

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 4, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
Come on mate. How good was Brayshaw when Stack sat Viney on his arse?
I thought Brayshaw was very fair the other night. He doesn't seem to have bias IMO
Strange how he's one of the best commentators yet hasn't played the game....oh....no actually it makes perfect sense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought Brayshaw was very fair the other night. He doesn't seem to have bias IMO
Strange how he's one of the best commentators yet hasn't played the game....oh....no actually it makes perfect sense.

Yeah I don’t mind him at all. Seems to be the most unbiased. Nick Riewoldt is good. Thought Jobe Watson was pretty good as well actually.

Madison

Club Legend
Jul 28, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond

This x100.

The victim complex in this thread is ridiculous. I swear half this board thinks every single person in the media hates Richmond. People have loved the Brisbane story this year, they did the exact same thing for us in 2017. The media isn't biased against us, the commentators aren't biased against us. They do the same thing every game, they love it when an upset happens, they always will try and justify why the game might still be alive etc. They do the same thing for us and every team.

The commentators always rave about us, Dusty, Vlas, Grimes, Rance, Cotch, Jack, Edwards, Stack, our system, the tiger army etc.

Cotcho

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 4, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
Yeah I don’t mind him at all. Seems to be the most unbiased. Nick Riewoldt is good. Thought Jobe Watson was pretty good as well actually.
Agree. Only issue with Jobe was he kept making judgments of the game due to the incorrect assumption that the MCG is a wider ground. Other than that he was fine.

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
Awful bias commentary last night. Darcy is so fake when he calls games, dunno how he’s employed to be honest.
Is that a mark lingy?!?!
MMMmmmm....mmm...I'd pay that mark Darc! I'd pay it...

Ball spills to ground from oppo hands...sound of crickets.....

Last edited:

Cotcho

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 4, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
I like Huddo ,Dunstall, lynchy etc

Agree with the rest tho

Lynch seems like a good bloke. Can't really get through sentences without stuttering though. Kinda bad for an expert comments guy in a professional game lol

Lynch seems like a good bloke. Can't really get through sentences without stuttering though. Kinda bad for an expert comments guy in a professional game lol
Hahaha agreed but thats whats good about him IMO.. hes not trying to be something he is not

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
Dunstall is the best out of the lot in terms of footy knowledge/insight. Any time he speaks I listen.
Agree...and in the back of my mind, I think, keep what Piggy's saying in the context of what's good for Hawthorn and then think about what he's said!

Sgt Bargearse

Club Legend
Sep 29, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
I like Huddo ,Dunstall, lynchy etc

Agree with the rest tho
Foxtel analysis and calls are head and shoulders above 7. I sometimes wonder if the brief at 7 is to dumb it down for the broadest possible market, but I think it more likely they've hired meatheads that don't know any more about the game than us BF boofheads.

May 22, 2014
Punt Rd to Goodison Park
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton
Foxtel analysis and calls are head and shoulders above 7. I sometimes wonder if the brief at 7 is to dumb it down for the broadest possible market, but I think it more likely they've hired meatheads that don't know any more about the game than us BF boofheads.
The problem is the commentators go into the game with pre set agenda's, i remember when we went to Perth in 2015 to face the 9-0 dockers Ling admitted after we belted them that Richmond winning was not even considered in the pre match meeting and that is how they commentated.

such classics in that game were

high fyfes all round ( basil )
oh Basil what a privilege it is to be here to witness Fyfe ( ling )
HERE COMES FREO ( basil ) after freo kick a goal to get back to 8 goals down with 5 minutes to go.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back