Club History Completely random Melbourne memories that come to mind for no particular reason

Remove this Banner Ad

Losing to Collingwood in the last round of 2017 to bottle a guaranteed finals chance, then the following day I was at Bridie O’Reillys on Chapel St watching WC run over the Crows to solidify that, definite ‘* the dees’ moment.

Losing to Collingwood in the last round of 2017 to bottle a guaranteed finals chance
Very spenny day at the footy for me. Ended up getting my face stiched shut at box hill hospital then my wife drove her dad’s car into a bollard in the carpark on the way out. Good times!!

Petracca being drowned in that swimming pool in 2019 by Dave Misson.

Then went on to become a star of the competition.
I don't remember Dave Misson having a great game for us!? :think:

Okay - I'll show my age - late 1960's - as a young kid Dad took me into the Melbourne rooms to get some autographs. Had the record in my hand and was getting players to sign on the blank sections. Gave it to a guy called Ross Dillion who I remembered wore really thick glasses. Handed him the record and without his glasses on he signed right in the middle of the Herald ad so could not read his name at all. And funnily enough as a kid I could care less. Just wrapped he took the time to autograph for me.

Last edited:
Round 1 2013 against Port. Bizarrely, I recall we were expected to win?
Never had Foxtel as a kid so I remember watching this one at a local pub

Sometime from 2008-11 I went to a Essendon Melbourne day game, for some reason the main memory was Jim Stynes and an excess amount of seagulls.

Watching a brawl Melbourne vs WB at Etihad, early-mid 2010s

Standout is probably the 2018 semi which was my first

I suddenly remembered that game we had against Saints in about 2014 where we had as good as won it before Toump stuffed it in the final seconds. Fox footy got some film of this little kid in Melbourne gear looking super happy and then suddenly devastated, which was sad for him. Not as sad as Gerard and Robbo tracing him to come on 360 so they could patronise him for a bit then give him a footy.

I suddenly remembered that game we had against Saints in about 2014 where we had as good as won it before Toump stuffed it in the final seconds. Fox footy got some film of this little kid in Melbourne gear looking super happy and then suddenly devastated, which was sad for him. Not as sad as Gerard and Robbo tracing him to come on 360 so they could patronise him for a bit then give him a footy.
Could just feel we were going to lose that game, even when Howe put us in front with about six nanoseconds to go.

Could just feel we were going to lose that game, even when Howe put us in front with about six nanoseconds to go.
I remember my partner saying some dumb thing before the game about how we had to win it or we’re going backwards. So I shouted at him after the match for about 10 solid minutes.

I remember Robbo saying something crazy to the sad kid on 360 about how brave he was to support Melbourne when his mates on the playground got to see their teams play finals. And I thought if he doesn’t make that kid cry, he will definitely make me cry.

Oh yeah if that wasn’t enough there was all this media because Roos had said something on On The Couch about some team or other playing the dumbest 30 seconds of footy ever - so obviously a Roos-coached Demons outfit had to go and top it ASAP

Oh yeah if that wasn’t enough there was all this media because Roos had said something on On The Couch about some team or other playing the dumbest 30 seconds of footy ever - so obviously a Roos-coached Demons outfit had to go and top it ASAP
It was the tigs against GC when Karmichael Hunt kicked the winner after the siren

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That’s right and I laughed my head off.

Oops
We all did Gandy.
I remember I missed the dees game and was gonna watch a replay without knowing the score but I seen the last 30s vid come up on YouTube or some s**t and saw us balls it up. Toumpas specifically

This was also the very day Doss had to come in here and rescue us from a massive pr0n attack from a St Kilda account person.

Doss said the guy wasn’t actually a Saints supporter but I think he might have made that one up to cheer everyone up.

We all did Gandy.
I remember I missed the dees game and was gonna watch a replay without knowing the score but I seen the last 30s vid come up on YouTube or some s**t and saw us balls it up. Toumpas specifically
I reckon we got more media attention that week then when we won the flag. There was also some weird controversy because Bernie Vince said something mean about Toump on 360 and the whole thing springboarded a bullying debate.

We really owned 360 that week

I reckon we got more media attention that week then when we won the flag. There was also some weird controversy because Bernie Vince said something mean about Toump on 360 and the whole thing springboarded a bullying debate.

We really owned 360 that week
I dont remember that at all but I'm always pro Bernie so suck eggs toump

B&F memory 2015 - Bernie Vince doing his speech clearly drunk and rambling randomly for about 10 minutes. Great content! He started with some weird s**t about Chris Dawes studying law and saying he should start small then go big, then he kept shouting out to mates in the crowd like “onya Tommy!” and would instantly lose his train of thought and start a new topic to ramble

There had been no goals kicked that quarter I'm pretty sure Howe kicked it at like the 24 minute mark.

The other side of the coin is I don't think we beat Geelong the following week without stewing on that heartbreaking loss to the Saints.

80% of my extended family (both mum and dads side) go for st kilda. I remember my saints supporter mum inviting all the saints fans to the game. there was about 7 or 8 of them and me and my dad were the only melbourne fans.

i remember celebrating like a mad thing when howe kicked it in front of them. i also remember the feeling when montagna i think kicked the goal two seconds later. was not a fun ride home.

There had been no goals kicked that quarter I'm pretty sure Howe kicked it at like the 24 minute mark.

The other side of the coin is I don't think we beat Geelong the following week without stewing on that heartbreaking loss to the Saints.
My random memory of the Geelong game is that I posted “Holy shitballs” followed by three grinning emojis after it finished and got lots of likes

Edit: turns out that was 2015 v Collingwood round 18. But I was still fairly pleased with my like count

Edit: turns out it was a semi-regular uttering. Probably a clever experiment to look at the relative likeability of a short and low-level crude phrase over a 7 year period

Last edited:
80% of my extended family (both mum and dads side) go for st kilda. I remember my saints supporter mum inviting all the saints fans to the game. there was about 7 or 8 of them and me and my dad were the only melbourne fans.

i remember celebrating like a mad thing when howe kicked it in front of them. i also remember the feeling when montagna i think kicked the goal two seconds later. was not a fun ride home.
So you’re the little kid!

This is a real honour for the board. We just need to get that precious soul in the crowd involved and we’re going places!

So you’re the little kid!

This is a real honour for the board. We just need to get that precious soul in the crowd involved and we’re going places!
walter white GIF

My random memory of the Geelong game is that I posted “Holy shitballs” followed by three grinning emojis after it finished and got lots of likes

Edit: turns out that was 2015 v Collingwood round 18. But I was still fairly pleased with my like count

Edit: turns out it was a semi-regular uttering. Probably a clever experiment to look at the relative likeability of a short and low-level crude phrase over a 7 year period
Not nearly enough likes on the version from our 2019 loss to the West Coast Eagles.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back