Opinion Congratulations Erin Phillips

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't give a stuff that she won an AFL premiership with you know, 'them'. Or was their co-captain.

For me Erin Phillips despite her playing team loyalty is a member of a true Port Adelaide Est 1870 family and deserves our applause. Not only was she co-captain of the inaugural women's AFL premiership team and best on ground in the grand final, she won the AFLW Player's MVP Award, the AFLW best player and goal of the year. I think that covers her football achievements this season.

On top of all that, Erin is an Olympian, international sports star, proud parent of twins and I guess even a role model for relationship equality.

So I'm putting aside team loyalties for an amazing person from a terrific family and saying well done Erin Phillips for doing what we all knew you could do when given a chance in football.

I don't give a stuff that she won an AFL premiership with you know, 'them'. Or was their co-captain.

For me Erin Phillips despite her playing team loyalty is a member of a true Port Adelaide Est 1870 family and deserves our applause. Not only was she co-captain of the inaugural women's AFL premiership team, she won the AFLW Player's MVP Award, the AFLW best player and goal of the year. I think that covers her football achievements this seaoso.

On top of all that, Erin is an Olympian, international sports star, proud parent of twins and I guess even a role model for relationship equality.

So I'm putting aside team loyalties for an amazing person from a terrific family and saying well done Erin Phillips for doing what we all knew you could do when given a chance in football.
Yeah, I'll go with that.

As I said the AFLW thread I saw her in the GDV last year with all her Port gear on and hoped she would get to play for someone in the new comp and fulfill her childhood dreams of playing footy at the highest level possible after being forced to give it up at 13 years of age. It helps dull the pain of missing out on the London Olympics and finishing 5th at Rio when the Opals were expected to make the gold medal play off game. Maybe the poor result in Rio is why she had a crack and risked her basketball contract.

To win the equivalent of the Norm Smith, the Brownow, the Leigh Matthews MVP award and a premiership medal all in 1 week after an 8 week comp is a great effort. And she is a footballer first who was forced to give up her first sporting love because of lazy administrators who had the vision of a blind mouse about women's participation in footy, and not an athlete convert from another sport. She is the Aussie equivalent of Bo Jackson, a natural at 2 sports who made it to the top in both, not a convert from one to another.

Last edited:
We'd be a pretty tough mob if we didn't want her to play for them because we don't have a team ourselves yet.

Hopefully she's still going around in 2019 if not maybe a coach. Either way a superstar.

Replace Basheer with Phillips ATM Adelaide Oval.

Nah. Any club in the land would have signed her if she gave them the chance and she would have won them the premiership. That she deliberately chose to sign with Adelaide knowing exactly what the circumstances were around their formation and what it would do for them and their horrible supporters vs us says that any applause can be reserved for members of her new club. I know she would have been sold on the concept of encouraging young girls to play football in SA, so I understand why she did it, but I don't have to like it. Maybe she thought she was helping us out by doing it (more girls playing = more chance PAFC gets a team in the future). If so, she's very naive as to how AFC operates as an organisation and how the SA media is.

I respect her achievements and wish her well because she's an outstanding ambassador for women's sport and deserves every success, but I'm not going to give her a pat on the back for it just because she's from a PAFC family. She's the anti-Wanganeen.

Can't be happy the Crows won, but immensely proud of her.

I see it as no different to supporting Scotty Hodges or any of the other Port players who played for the Crows prior to Port moving to the AFL. She'll always bleed black and white.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't be happy the Crows won, but immensely proud of her.

I see it as no different to supporting Scotty Hodges or any of the other Port players who played for the Crows prior to Port moving to the AFL. She'll always bleed black and white.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Completely different. Hodges had one choice - Adelaide or nothing. Ditto Brown, Chalmers and anyone else.

Phillips could have played for anybody. She was a rookie selection signed outside of the draft.

Like I said, good on her for doing what she has wanted do and I'm happy for her on an individual level, but that's it. I'm not gonna celebrate it as if it was our success.

Oh please.

Because I accept it for what it is? Adelaide has the inaugural premiership, equivalent of a Norm Smith and Brownlow thanks to her. No ornamental "bleeds black and white" justification can change that.

Sam Powell-Pepper supported the Eagles his whole life. Erin supported Port Adelaide. They are at new clubs now. It's what it is. You just don't want to accept that she's a Crow now. As it should be - I wouldn't want anyone playing for Port who wasn't committed to the club heart and soul.

I remember feeling star struck handing back a footy that came over the fence during the warm up at Norwood Oval in the early 2000s - when she was one of the Magpies water runners/trainers. My mates had no idea who she was but I told them...daughter of G. Phillips and she can kick better than any of us!

I responded to the club and suggested Erin as the pre-game goal kicker on Sunday. Wouldn't that give the elderly conniptions, seeing her bedecked in her Port gear. That might just end the medal/stand naming talk though.

A touch of class from PAFC

See this, I can get behind. Just a simple congratulations for her own achievements as an individual without referencing her family connections to the club as if it somehow makes it anything to do with us when it doesn't.

I responded to the club and suggested Erin as the pre-game goal kicker on Sunday. Wouldn't that give the elderly conniptions, seeing her bedecked in her Port gear. That might just end the medal/stand naming talk though.

She's a Crows employee now, which is something that no-one seems to mention regarding her acquisition and pay - Chelsea Randall and Kellie Gibson are their marquee players.

But when Henry Slattery became a PAFC employee who'd also lace'em up for the Maggies everyone lost their minds.

See this, I can get behind. Just a simple congratulations for her own achievements as an individual without referencing her family connections to the club as if it somehow makes it anything to do with us when it doesn't.

I think Port Adelaide posted that tweet for the same reason I opened the thread. I'm not claiming her win in any way shape or form for Port Adelaide. But I think that even though she had all of these achievements with another team her family connection and lifelong Port support does mean as a Port supporter I am more aware of what she achieved and want to congratulate her.

If, for example, Sue Baru, had done all this as a crows (or any other team) player, do you think Port would have tweeted? I don't. I certainly wouldn't have started a thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back