Tasmania Congratulations on Tassie License. Mens team to enter 2028. Womens team TBA. Other details TBA 3/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Theres a multitude of reasons. Playing games in Tassie helped, but its not the only reason.

Going forward its about increasing crowds at Melbourne based matches, not playing interstate.
The predominant reason for your financial recovery has been the fact that you sold your four lowest drawing home games in Melbourne that you were making losses on to Hobart where you are guaranteed a decent profit.

This will still be an issue for you if you leave Tassie.

The predominant reason for your financial recovery has been the fact that you sold your four lowest drawing home games in Melbourne that you were making losses on to Hobart where you are guaranteed a decent profit.

This will still be an issue for you if you leave Tassie.

1. We have never played 4 games in a year at Blundstone. We were scheduled to last year because an increase that we needed to fulfill to hit a quota of games for the agreement, which never occured. We played 3 a year and they were rotated through a variety of clubs. We played Richmond and Carlton there throughout the agreement, which werent low drawing at all when played in Melbourne. This year is obviously Covid affected too, which is seeing a run of games at the venue.
2. We moved those games to tassie prior to the sale of Marvel Stadium, as the deal we had when we played those games was appalling. That is now not the case, and we will see significant income from home games at Marvel under a new agreement. We wont be making a loss at any home match at Marvel from now on.

1. We have never played 4 games in a year at Blundstone. We were scheduled to last year because an increase that we needed to fulfill to hit a quota of games for the agreement, which never occured. We played 3 a year and they were rotated through a variety of clubs. We played Richmond and Carlton there throughout the agreement, which werent low drawing at all when played in Melbourne. This year is obviously Covid affected too, which is seeing a run of games at the venue.
2. We moved those games to tassie prior to the sale of Marvel Stadium, as the deal we had when we played those games was appalling. That is now not the case, and we will see significant income from home games at Marvel under a new agreement. We wont be making a loss at any home match at Marvel from now on.

You added an extra game to the current deal in 2018. You haven't played a big Melbourne club in Hobart for five years.

You added an extra game to the current deal in 2018. You haven't played a big Melbourne club in Hobart for five years.

We played Carlton there 3 years ago.

Apologies you are right, we played 4 games there in 2019.

Still doesn't change the fact that Marvel has since been sold and the goalposts have moved, for everyone.

We played Carlton there 3 years ago.

Apologies you are right, we played 4 games there in 2019.

Still doesn't change the fact that Marvel has since been sold and the goalposts have moved, for everyone.
I'm not sure they have, because your club is still very keen for a new deal in Tassie, and St Kilda are very keen to join you. So it cant be that profitable at Marvel, can it?

Explain exactly how it’s the Tasmanian governments fault ?

The Tas government should be preparing a bid and case that is firmly built on the reality that all the guaranteed benefit falls with Tasmania (economically and socially) and there is substantial risk for the AFL with little upside

The reality is that bid the Tas government commissioned is effectively yet another shyt sandwich served up to the AFL and clubs.

The reality is that bid the Tas government commissioned is effectively yet another shyt sandwich served up to the AFL and clubs.
1. No.
The shyt sandwich has been served on Tasmania by the AFL, where the game has been mismanaged & underfunded by the 11 AFL executives (who, previously to 2020, were being paid c..$10.5m pa, a record high in the world for a Not-For-Profit org., excluding the USA).

It is crucial to the AFL, the other Clubs, & future prosperity of the game that the glorious Tas. recruitment gold mine be revived- in both quantity & quality of draftees.
Also, the AFL is failing, as custodian of the game, to protect the (male comp.) GR in Tasmania. The disillusioned GR & dwindling male comp. nos. are evidence of the AFL's failure, & neglect.
The AFL is further embarassed (& never publicly addresses!) the obvious "invidious" comparison- booming male GR basketball & soccer comp. nos. in Tasmania, & the achievements of elite Tasmanian cricket.

Due to State pride, tribalism, the need for local heroes, & its own well-funded Academies etc., only by Tas. having its own team (not a transplant) can the game in Tas.- & , eventually, the recruitment gold mine of champions, stars, & good players- be revived (will probably take 5-10 year from AFL entry).

2. SEN Radio D. Russel program 15.6.21

Russel asked Geelong FC CEO B. Cook whether Tas. should join the AFL as the 19th team.

Cook said, paraphrasing "Tas. deserves a team more than any other place in Australia, I expects Tas. to join the AFL in the next 5 to 6 years".

Full Cook interview in this link.

(Scroll down to 15.6, then click on "Brian Cook interview"; then go to 13 minutes 5 seconds- 14 mins. 32 secs.)

3 .SEN Melb. G. Whately program 21.6

D. King, who until this weekend did not think Tas. would get its own team for financial reasons, now believes (citing the crowd size & passion at the York Park Essendon v. Hawthorn game, loud & continuous booing of Hawthorn etc.) a Tas. AFL team is probably viable, & should be included.

King appears to be waivering as whether Gold Coast should lose its license- so the comp. stays as 18 clubs; or Tas. should become the 19th team.

Last edited:
Foxsports B. Waterwoth B. Cotton D. Zita 21.6

They said

"The Tassie boos the AFL can't ignore...it was the sound stunned Hawthorn players had rarely, perhaps never, heard before in Tasmania...Every Hawk clanger was greeted with bronx cheers".

"Richmond CEO B. Gale said on twitter 'Great scenes out of UTS' ".

"C. Wilson on ABC's Offsiders said 'We've seen the way Hobartians have voted with their feet in the last 2 weeks (re the very poor crowds of c. 3500 & 5500 at the last 2 NMFC games in Hobart)' ".

Many other strong comments, in my link above, by Fox & other MSM experts supporting Tas. joining as the 19th team.

Nope, if Tasmanians want to get their own club they should recognise it is their government they should be hounding, not the AFL.

I'd love to hear the logic behind this lol

There is none. It’s the usual negative bs from the usual blows ins who drop into the tassie threads & throw in The one liner looking for an argument. Must have very full lives. The poster child of these types is the old sweat heart from Bendigo who ran away from tassie years ago.

The business case the Tas government commissioned served up a s**t sandwich to the AFL and the clubs that would need to sign on to approve such a licence.

It completely underplays the risks to the AFL of admitting a Tasmanian team. The entire section on the incremental benefits to the AFL competition is based off of a superficial analysis that assumes incrementally more tv rights money and sponsorship for clubs. The truth is that it may offer no more TV rights money and result in a loss of money to all the other clubs (through lost Tassie memberships but, more significantly, through hosting incrementally less matches against bigger drawing opposition).

The bid should have been honest about this downside risk and acknowledge that intro of a Tasmanian team will be of huge economic, social and cultural benefit to Tasmania where at least financially this is far from the case for the AFL.

The AFL will now be left exposed to the usual squealing about trying to get more tax payer dollars when this should have been baked into the bid in the first place

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For gods a sake just give the GC Suns licence to Tassie and all their players as a start to building a decent competitive team and keep the comp at a workable 18 teams.
The last thing we need is another long term disaster like the GC in Tassie.

For gods a sake just give the GC Suns licence to Tassie and all their players as a start to building a decent competitive team and keep the comp at a workable 18 teams.
How about shipping who ever finishes last this year to Tassie.

I mean you say that but all most people see are the on-field results. You don't take into account the off-field impact the Suns have provided along the Queensland coast. Even this year alone, they've continued their streak of 10 years of mediocrity but cracked their best ever membership numbers. Grassroots are continuing to grow and having a second team in Queensland helps provide somewhat of a presence for the sport. They've proven when they string a few games together they can build a solid crowd average and compared to what a Tasmanian team (which I still would love to see) could bring to the comp, the suns have a way higher ceiling.

I mean you say that but all most people see are the on-field results. You don't take into account the off-field impact the Suns have provided along the Queensland coast. Even this year alone, they've continued their streak of 10 years of mediocrity but cracked their best ever membership numbers. Grassroots are continuing to grow and having a second team in Queensland helps provide somewhat of a presence for the sport. They've proven when they string a few games together they can build a solid crowd average and compared to what a Tasmanian team (which I still would love to see) could bring to the comp, the suns have a way higher ceiling.
No point having a high ceiling if it’s completely unrealistic that it will ever be reached if any one actually thinks the suns are tracking we’re they should be 10 years in then that’s fanciful . With the history of Gold Coast sporting teams they had to get it right from the beginning seriously if they have another mass exodus of players what can the AFL actually do to fix things??

Should have rebranded Brisbane the Queensland lion’s had them play games on the Gold Coast as well would had done exactly the same for afl in southern Queensland as the suns but would have costed a fraction. Now the afl are stuck with a basket case club that no body wants to play for and have no support

Tasmania needs to pull all sponsorship from AFL, let's see how they go replacing the lost sponsorship, membership & merchandise income. Then everyone will realise the numbers stack up for Tassie more than GWS or Suns

Well, let's assume that happens.
The AFL can respond with: fair play, the dollars you save here can be used for a future AFL team - which might get introduced in 25 years time.
While that's happening, there's no AFL footy played on the Apple Isle for the next 25 years.
Does it actually hurt the AFL?
Hawthorn will drop the revenue related to Tassie, but will increase its overall attendances, and in all honesty, Hawthorn is now big enough and ugly enough to look after itself.
North will take a bit of a hit, but not sure if it's making a huge amount out of Tassie in net terms.
I guess Tasmanians can follow a new soccer team when the new NSD is up and running.
That'll show the AFL.

Well, let's assume that happens.
The AFL can respond with: fair play, the dollars you save here can be used for a future AFL team - which might get introduced in 25 years time.
While that's happening, there's no AFL footy played on the Apple Isle for the next 25 years.
Does it actually hurt the AFL?
Hawthorn will drop the revenue related to Tassie, but will increase its overall attendances, and in all honesty, Hawthorn is now big enough and ugly enough to look after itself.
North will take a bit of a hit, but not sure if it's making a huge amount out of Tassie in net terms.
I guess Tasmanians can follow a new soccer team when the new NSD is up and running.
That'll show the AFL.

I'm a Tasmanian taxpayer, sick of my state government giving money to Hawthorn and North Melbourne as are the majority of Tasmanians - over it.

Do not give a flying f..k about the AFL anymore they lie continually. As a GWS supporter you have benefited from the allocation of a sh.t load of money and I support the growth of the game in the Western suburbs of Sydney, I do not support the AFL accepting money from an AFL state to have games played here.

Just became a member of the new NBL team and looking forward to supporting a Tasmanian team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back