Tasmania Congratulations on Tassie License. Mens team to enter 2028. Womens team TBA. Other details TBA 3/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a Tasmanian taxpayer, sick of my state government giving money to Hawthorn and North Melbourne as are the majority of Tasmanians - over it.

Do not give a flying f..k about the AFL anymore they lie continually. As a GWS supporter you have benefited from the allocation of a sh.t load of money and I support the growth of the game in the Western suburbs of Sydney, I do not support the AFL accepting money from an AFL state to have games played here.

Just became a member of the new NBL team and looking forward to supporting a Tasmanian team.

Good luck supporting the new NBA team...a privately owned team with 10% of the running costs of an AFL club and far less than that in terms of economic value...... that has apparently $80M tax dollars being spent on a new stadium and an undisclosed sponsorship deal with tas state owned company....

..I'm not sure you haven't precisely demonstrated Gigantor's point

Good luck supporting the new NBA team...a privately owned team with 10% of the running costs of an AFL club and far less than that in terms of economic value...... that has apparently $80M tax dollars being spent on a new stadium and an undisclosed sponsorship deal with tas state owned company....

If tassie gets a side who will own the side? Do you think it will be the government? AFL? Or a true club side with voting rights for members?

Use the edit button it’s NBL

You are not sure or you are? I'm not.

I say give Tassie the licence, let them have a team by 2025, and offer an ultimatum for the Suns - make finals at least once by 2024 or bust (or finish higher than 12th and/or win at least 11 games); otherwise, fold them and try and move as many of their best players to the Tassie side to help them get going.

No point having a high ceiling if it’s completely unrealistic that it will ever be reached if any one actually thinks the suns are tracking we’re they should be 10 years in then that’s fanciful . With the history of Gold Coast sporting teams they had to get it right from the beginning seriously if they have another mass exodus of players what can the AFL actually do to fix things??
It's not unrealistic. The game is growing in Queensland and the Gold Coast is one of stronger junior areas.

The Suns and Lions academy's are providing elite pathways to the AFL and won't just benefit Queensland (Richmond have a few Lions Academy players on their list)

IMO Tasmania should get a 19th licence and an Academy set up like the Northern states.

I say give Tassie the licence, let them have a team by 2025, and offer an ultimatum for the Suns - make finals at least once by 2024 or bust (or finish higher than 12th and/or win at least 11 games); otherwise, fold them and try and move as many of their best players to the Tassie side to help them get going.

No team has ever been required to make finals to remain in the AFL.
Bloody hell, a relatively new club like Hawthorn took about 32 years to make their first finals appearance, and probably was winning a wooden spoon one in every 3 seasons during that time.
50 years after entering the VFL, they were a powerhouse club.
Maybe the Suns and Giants will be powerhouse clubs after 50 years in the comp.
We need to see out those 50 years before making rash decisions.

Bloody hell, a relatively new club like Hawthorn took about 32 years to make their first finals appearance, and probably was winning a wooden spoon one in every 3 seasons during that time.
The VFL of the 1930's is a bit different to the current AFL of 2010's. Hawthorn would not have got draft picks for finishing bottom or a blank cheque from the VFL to underwrite all expense. They would not have become a powerhouse without nice zones.

lets keep it to a modern setting. Gold Coast is the worst expansion team in modern times. Even worse than the Bad News Bears or Fremantle. Both made finals after 8 or so years. heck, the private owner of the bears only lost a couple of million dollars.

I am not saying they need to make finals to keep their spot. As much as I despise* the expansion of #17-18, those teams are in and they will stay in. Fine. But questions should be asked to the AFL about how they set up and how they ran the Gold Coast. and how long it will take. blank cheques and "it will come good" is not a good strategy. It has been 11 years already!!!!!

This data might not be used for GWS or GCS, but the next time the AFL does expand, whenever that may be. So, when they come out with the same old bull about expanding the game to different areas and how successful it was and outright ignoring Tasmania in any discussion(like 2008), Tasmanians and all other supporters of this island can rightly tell them to bugger off. This is what it actually cost and how long it took!!!

*I am proud Tasmanian, and Vlad has shown his outstanding character elsewhere recently. The disrespect he showed us during those times still annoys me.

I would have thought in many respects, the Suns are well ahead of the Bears.
It's true, the Bears made finals in their 10th season (having moved from Carrara to the Gabbe years earlier), but then again, the Bears ceased to exist in their 11th season.
The Suns have at least made it to an 11th season.

Completely different circumstances back then football was a amateur sport and clubs were left to fend for themselves there was no help to start up . compare that to what the giants and suns have received were they have received everything you could wish for to start as successful football club there’s no comparison whatsoever

Completely different circumstances back then football was a amateur sport and clubs were left to fend for themselves there was no help to start up . compare that to what the giants and suns have received were they have received everything you could wish for to start as successful football club there’s no comparison whatsoever

Regardless, there is no real good reason for only allowing certain clubs to remain in the league on the basis of whether they make finals or not.
The only thing the Commission needs to consider is whether the Suns is helping the AFL with its strategic objectives, everything else is just bull s**t.

I would have thought in many respects, the Suns are well ahead of the Bears.
It's true, the Bears made finals in their 10th season (having moved from Carrara to the Gabbe years earlier), but then again, the Bears ceased to exist in their 11th season.
The Suns have at least made it to an 11th season.
ninth season. 1987-1995. They bravely lost to Carlton that year but had numerous sellouts on the back end thanks to that success. smaller Gabba back then. they had nowhere near the same amount of AFL support as the Gold Coast had.

And saying they ceased to exist is a bit of a stretch. They would have continued as the Bears if they wanted and were humming on the field.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Darwin enters, so does Launceston and Hobart.

A Tasmanian State side is a huge mistake. It's a compromise.

If Darwin enters, so does Launceston and Hobart.

A Tasmanian State side is a huge mistake. It's a compromise.
Dont forget Queenstown. Personally, can't wait to see how the current AFL players deal with the gravel. Daniher won't go to the ground so easily then.

You mean, a league that does not allow 3 capital cities of 3 footy states, to participate in the national League, is absolute madness?
Every state’s capital has a team except for Hobart. The ‘T’ in NT and ACT stands for Territory. And, yes, it would be absolute madness.
Have you been able to find a single poster yet that thinks any of your ideas have merit?

Every state’s capital has a team except for Hobart. The ‘T’ in NT and ACT stands for Territory. And, yes, it would be absolute madness.
Have you been able to find a single poster yet that thinks any of your ideas have merit?
You Keep believing that Canberra, Hobart, Launceston, Cairns and Darwin are not required in our national League. It's not my sickness, but yours.

Last edited:
Regardless, there is no real good reason for only allowing certain clubs to remain in the league on the basis of whether they make finals or not.
The only thing the Commission needs to consider is whether the Suns is helping the AFL with its strategic objectives, everything else is just bull sh*t.
Yeah well generally success runs in cycles for football clubs your club may have 5-6 good seasons then drop off to rebuild again only problem goldcoast doesn’t have any up cycles. There’s no doubt the game has grown since they came in but could that have been achieved buy having Brisbane or other clubs play games there which would have cost a fraction and then maybe the afl might not have completely ran Tasmanian and Northern Territory football into the ground

Yeah well generally success runs in cycles for football clubs your club may have 5-6 good seasons then drop off to rebuild again only problem goldcoast doesn’t have any up cycles. There’s no doubt the game has grown since they came in but could that have been achieved buy having Brisbane or other clubs play games there which would have cost a fraction and then maybe the afl might not have completely ran Tasmanian and Northern Territory football into the ground
Has North Melbourne and Hawthorn playing in Tasmania helped footy grow down there?

You Keep believing that Canberra, Hobart, Launceston, Cairns and Darwin are not required in our national League. It's not my sickness, but yours.
There are collectively about 45 people in those cities not retired or on welfare. How would they support AFL teams?

Also, good luck sending virile young football players to Darwin and Cairns.

Even Tasmania will likely only succeed if they train out of Melbourne and just fifo down for games.

The weather in Darwin and Cairns is not condusive to AFL footy and the population is too small. Cairns has a transitory population where Vic expats lives there in the right 20s and 30s. So they have a decent local league and 10k will go to games but the bulk of the population prefers RL. If you think the GC is a disaster, Cairns with 1/4 the population would be at least four times worse.
Have you been to Launceston? If you have you would know why the new Tas team must be based in Hobart. Anyway, all of the towns in Tasmania will have a team to call their own soon enough. Yes, Canberra should be team 20 in 2031.

Regions that don’t have the population, infrastructure or corporate support for an AFL club can host games to promote footy there. If we went to 20 teams I would add an extra round and rotate these 10 neutral games through Cairns, Townsville, Mackay, Darwin, Alice Springs, Wagga, Albury, Ballarat, Newcastle and Wollongong. Scrap the idea of secondary home grounds for struggling clubs, fans want to see their own team not the same team each time. Different teams at each venue each year. Would be massive for tourism, bring more fans and $$$ to the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back