Tasmania Congratulations on Tassie License. Mens team to enter 2028. Womens team TBA. Other details TBA 3/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both owned by local councils, not state gov, and UTAS being considered for sale at the moment apparently.
Do I Seriously need to explain this councils are a form of local government that sit below state government more or less the same thing were they receive the majority of there funding from state there more or less controlled at the end buy the state who have the authority to fire them like what’s happened recently to some councils in tas and Bellerive is controlled buy the tca not council

Got a couple of examples of the Tas Govt over riding Councils in the manner you are suggesting?
The Glenorchy last year and Huon few years ago in southern tas had there councils in southern tas fired for misconduct buy the governor on behalf of state government all the alderman mayors general managers were relived of duty and state government took over until fresh elections were held been quite a lot of drama with councils down here over the years!

I agree utas stadium needs work as a lot of the seating is very temporary like but the ground surface itself is a great size and has been consistently one of the best surfaces in the comp there’s also heaps of vacant land around the ground for expansion and parking and only a 5 minute walk to Launceston cbd Bellerive is in a bad location but the stadium facilities itself are fine half the stadium is only 4 years old the other stand about 10 years replace the grass hill with a stand and it would be a great stadium in a bad location but not sure how you comment with out having been there on side note the worst ground I have ever been to to watch footy was Subiaco you guys were still playing there a couple years ago short memory!
Both owned by local councils, not state gov, and UTAS being considered for sale at the moment apparently.

That'd be local Government then. :)

The Glenorchy last year and Huon few years ago in southern tas had there councils in southern tas fired for misconduct buy the governor on behalf of state government all the alderman mayors general managers were relived of duty and state government took over until fresh elections were held been quite a lot of drama with councils down here over the years!
Thought you'd go with firing councils. IMHO its a very different dynamic to sports grounds, happy to agree to disagree.

Lets hope Tas pulls together to make this happen.
Still a fan of North Hobart Oval, no fan of half full venues that sell out once in a blue moon.

Thought you'd go with firing councils. IMHO its a very different dynamic to sports grounds, happy to agree to disagree.

Lets hope Tas pulls together to make this happen.
Still a fan of North Hobart Oval, no fan of half full venues that sell out once in a blue moon.
Yeah fair enough and I agree north Hobart would have been great to develop if the government in the late nineties had brains instead of half doing two stadiums like what happened it could have happened as there was a large parcel of land next to the ground for sale would have been great location close to cbd,major highway near buy and plenty of parking close on the domain that’s why they should definitely try and get funding for a Macquarie point stadium would be a major selling point to recruits

Do I Seriously need to explain this councils are a form of local government that sit below state government more or less the same thing were they receive the majority of there funding from state there more or less controlled at the end buy the state who have the authority to fire them like what’s happened recently to some councils in tas and Bellerive is controlled buy the tca not council

Bellerive is operated by the TCA, it doesnt own it - this is noted in the 2017-18 City of Clarence annual report which says it took a 45 year lease on the ground from the City in 2001. And even if the Government does fire the local council, it doesnt own the stadiums, unless it completely shuts it down and takes possession of its assets.

Bellerive is operated by the TCA, it doesnt own it - this is noted in the 2017-18 City of Clarence annual report which says it took a 45 year lease on the ground from the City in 2001. And even if the Government does fire the local council, it doesnt own the stadiums, unless it completely shuts it down and takes possession of its assets.

Bit off track & it matters not, but the State Government just sacks the Mayor & Councillors. They did that in the 2 examples above. Then they appointed interim commissioners to run the council until whatever matters of concern were sorted out & fresh elections held.

The State Government do control things if push comes to shove. They can say projects are of State significance. Thus they push through pretty well anything they want.

If it came to it, they'd override councils on stadium development. It wouldn't happen as what Council would knock back money? Never happen. ;)

Bit off track & it matters not, but the State Government just sacks the Mayor & Councillors. They did that in the 2 examples above. Then they appointed interim commissioners to run the council until whatever matters of concern were sorted out & fresh elections held.

had to get parliamentary approval to get rid of glenorchy. Cant just fire councils willy nilly - bearing in mind the Government has a stated policy of not forcing mergers and what not.

I agree utas stadium needs work as a lot of the seating is very temporary like but the ground surface itself is a great size and has been consistently one of the best surfaces in the comp there’s also heaps of vacant land around the ground for expansion and parking and only a 5 minute walk to Launceston cbd Bellerive is in a bad location but the stadium facilities itself are fine half the stadium is only 4 years old the other stand about 10 years replace the grass hill with a stand and it would be a great stadium in a bad location but not sure how you comment with out having been there on side note the worst ground I have ever been to to watch footy was Subiaco you guys were still playing there a couple years ago short memory!

You won't get any argument from me that Subiaco was s**t, but it was a world ahead of Launny. You are right though that it's in a brilliant position. They would be crazy to sell it for development.

What struck me the most (in the context of an AFL team being based there) was the utter lack of corporate facilities there. There are hardly any. That's where the decent money is - it's not selling GA memberships, it's selling a 10 seat box for $50k a year.

I said the tca controlled Bellerive not own
You won't get any argument from me that Subiaco was s**t, but it was a world ahead of Launny. You are right though that it's in a brilliant position. They would be crazy to sell it for development.

What struck me the most (in the context of an AFL team being based there) was the utter lack of corporate facilities there. There are hardly any. That's where the decent money is - it's not selling GA memberships, it's selling a 10 seat box for $50k a year.
yeah I don’t disagree utas stadium needs all the temporary like seating on the eastern side replaced with proper grandstands with boxes Bellerive just needs a stand to replace the hill to lift capacity up its already got reasonable corporate facilities due to its cricket commitments

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Having the authority to fire a council for misconduct is completely different to forcing a council to sell assets.

... Did anyone get the GF program? Was their anything about the Tasteam push?
I didn't, but according Blackhawk -
There is a full page in the grand final footy record.
In addition, today's Herald Sun's editorial lauded the growth of our game over the past 170 years but included a couple of paragraphs calling for a Tasmanian club, stating the AFL can't be fully considered as Australia's national game until Tasmania has its own club.

In addition, the pledge has passed another significant milestone, passing the 40,000 mark - an increase of 5,000 in just the past 3 days. So it'sachieved 80% of the target which, if the increase of the past few days is maintained, will be achieved in about a week or little more.

I didn't, but according Blackhawk -In addition, today's Herald Sun's editorial lauded the growth of our game over the past 170 years but included a couple of paragraphs calling for a Tasmanian club, stating the AFL can't be fully considered as Australia's national game until Tasmania has its own club.

In addition, the pledge has passed another significant milestone, passing the 40,000 mark - an increase of 5,000 in just the past 3 days. So it'sachieved 80% of the target which, if the increase of the past few days is maintained, will be achieved in about a week or little more.

I just read it in 'the Hun'. A well though & written opinion piece. One just hopes the AFL suits can read too.

I just read it in 'the Hun'. A well though & written opinion piece. One just hopes the AFL suits can read too.
Unlike the past bid or bids, if I'm reading the tea leaves right, I reckon this one actually has the covert support of the AFL suits. Time will tell.

Achieving the 50,000 pledge target is now a formality. Then comes the all important money matters, as outlined in the original Age article -

The Apple Isle takes a significant step in the push for a stand-alone AFL team.
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...-provisional-afl-licence-20190823-p52k4n.html

Tasmania looks certain to bid for a provisional AFL licence by the end of this year as one of a raft of recommendations that have emerged from the Hodgman Government-appointed task force.

In a significant step forward in the push for a stand-alone team, task force chairman Brett Godfrey told The Age that a provisional licence would demonstrate a degree of certainty to the state as it builds a strong business case for an AFL team with a potential 2025 entry into the national competition.

"A provisional licence would be contingent on certain things happening," said Godfrey, whose working party met in Hobart on Friday on the eve of Tasmania's last home-and-away game for the 2019 season. "It would be subject to us submitting a compelling and sustainable business case that we can actually add value to the AFL and not simply existing to take from the pie.
The taskforce is due to present its findings to the Tasmanian Government in December but looks certain to demonstrate its belief that a stand-alone team could not only survive but thrive, potentially by 2025. In a separate development the AFL has been exploring extending the broadcast rights agreement by two years until the end of 2024.

In a series of developments in Tasmania it is understood:
*The taskforce is working towards the creation of a viable AFL team model with an annual turnover of $50 million.
*Former St Kilda champion Nick Riewoldt has been charged with looking at potential player-retention issues in his firm belief Tasmania could be developed as a destination club.
*There is strong backing for the establishment of a new stadium and training facility at Hobart's Macquarie Point with home-and-away games divided between Launceston and Hobart.
The taskforce has already spent time in Queensland looking at the Brisbane Lions' successful academy model and plans to investigate in some depth the highly successful Geelong Football Club and its ascendancy over the past two decades under Brian Cook at GMHBA Stadium.

Riewoldt has emerged as a key mover within the taskforce and in the Tasmanian AFL bid. The recently retired St Kilda champion took part in Friday's task force talks and has been focusing on player retention. Riewoldt, a native Tasmanian, has remained firm in his view that the potential 19th team could ultimately become a destination club. ... The taskforce also includes former Woolworths chief Grant O'Brien, Football Tasmania director Julie Kay, former GWS executive Paul Eriksson, Dynamic Sports and Entertainment Group boss James Henderson and Launceston-based business leader Errol Stewart.

The view of the task force is that an annual turnover of $50 million would place the Tasmanian Devils as a middle-ranked AFL team, which would prove sustainable and not reliant over the long term upon head office hand-outs. The preliminary findings of the Godfrey-chaired working group appear to have the cautious support of AFL chief Gillon McLachlan who in his first year at the helm of the competition declared a one-team model preferable for Tasmania. ...

TASMANIA IS IN THE AFL- me thinks!
(by 2025, if it can show direct, sustainable financial revenues of c. $40-50,000,000 pa.)

As others have suggested, such is the fundamental importance of the 19th Tasmanian team Bid/related issues etc., it now deserves to be placed on the more perused AFL Club board (where the mighty Fitzroy is also).

1.The Age 26.9.19 Chip Le Grand
Chip Le Grand has, over many years, done extensive investigative/"background" reporting, & The Age describes him as a "Chief Reporter". He, therefore, has much gravitas.

He wrote, re GWS' creation

" ...Of greater significance, although more difficult to quantify, are the benefits the rising Giants have bequeathed to the competition as a whole...The AFL estimates the additional weekly game created by the two-club expansion represents $54 million within its annual broadcast right deal. This figure UNDERSELLS the STRATEGIC IMPORTANCE of western Sydney...having a team of its own" (my emphases).

Both GWS & GC have relatively small home crowds & small local Ratings.
GWS CEO D. Matthews, however, said "... the 9th game is valued at about $60,000,000 per year, they're (the AFL) actually making money off their investment...".
(From Sydney 2GB R. Greenwood Finance Program podcast- see my post #725 for full podcast).

AFAIK, these 2 comments from AFL executives (or any other Rights' value experts) are the first time a specific $ quantum has been mentioned re the Rights' value of a 9th AFL game.

These $54 - $60,000,000 quantums pa strongly suggest (since current annnual broadcast Rights $ are $417,000,000 pa, for the 9 games) that the AFL is counting, also, indirect financial benefits for the AFL/Clubs/GR AF, with the entry of GWS & GC.
These indirect financial benefits would include private sponsorship of the expansion clubs, growth of their local GR player nos. & increase in their local AFL draftees, govt. & council infrastructure funds for the AFL club & GR AF, additional local MSM exposure for AF etc..
The recruitment of K. Hunt & I. Folau was estimated, by the AFL itself, to deliver for the AFL c. $7,500,000 each,approx. in free MSM reporting.

Tasmania can & should say there must be AFL consistency, so demand a similar quid pro quo with the AFL, when the AFL evaluates its entry.
Tasmania will not add much direct financial benefits/ratings' growth to the AF- but there will be more broadcast $.
It can, however, provide an HUGE, valuable indirect boost to the AFL- by the strategic restoration of its former VFL/AFL recruitment goldmine of fabled Tas. champions, & many great players. And more govt./council funded Tas. AFL infrastructure $.

Ditto, last week's announcement that the Fed. LNP govt. is willing to fund (c. $100,000,000?), in Tas. AFL "major infrastructure" for the 19th team- another indirect ace that the Tas. bid possesses. As per above post # 808

The Tas. 19th team will rectify the historic wrongs & carpetbagging imposed by the VFL/AFL on Tas. & its loyal to AF, but long-suffering fans. Adult male regd. comp. player nos. are in decline there,& male comp. jnrs stagnant, due to the AFL's neglect. It's time to fight back.

Tas. soccer & basketball GR regd. player nos., however, are growing strongly (in % terms & raw nos.), & are at record highs. How does the AFL calculate the indirect financial value of restoring Tas. AF's former huge GR AF player nos. supremacy (cf other Tas. sports)?
FFA Tasmania states, correctly, that soccer in Tas. is having "prolific growth". It also states, in its 2019 State Of Play Report, that " Football is bursting at the seams (correct- my word), with over 17,000 registered participants(?), making soccer the state's largest club-based sport (false- my word)".

(then refer to State Of Play Report)

A 20th AFL team, probably within the next 15 years after Tas. enters, is also extremely likely- for the extra, 10th game pw broadcast $; & other direct & indirect financial benefits.

2. SEN Radio Melb 30.9.19 A. Maher R. Murphy program

Maher said "There is no problem for the AFL to go to 19 teams with Tasmania, or even to eventually have 20 teams".

3. Foxsports 12.6.19

I just became aware of further comments made by D. Russell re a Tas. 19th team (ie in addition to my post #759 above). Russell said

"We now know for certain (my emphasis) that the AFL will eventually have a Tasmanian team...by as early as 2022, but by 2026 at the latest".
T. Watson also said " Tasmania will have a team in the next 10 years...a stand-alone team".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back